Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 01:34:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generator exhaust  (Read 3311 times)
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 04:24:04 PM »

If you have the opportunity to install the exhaust thru the roof, That is my choice. My 12.5 KW GenSet is in the frt drivers side Ex-condenser compartment, with the exhaust ( 2") running down and across to the curb side, then aft to a vertical chase between the bath and shower. The pipe is welded, and wrapped as it runs vertical. The top is turned aft.
I have never had any problems with fumes, and the noise is minimal.
I check the intergrity of the pipe when I am under the bus, but have never found any potential damaged areas.
I agree with Kyle, that a leak within the coach is dangerous, but I also keep a CO detector near the sleeping area.
Never encountered a leak at the roof. The vertical run is wrapped with a high temp. material.

Best of luck with your endeavor...

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 05:04:23 PM »

I believe that the early Bluebirds with the front generator had an exhaust connector of some type.  It was kind of a funnel arrangement but I'm not sure how it was made to stay tight.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 09:55:13 PM »

Your gen installation instructions should tell you the max length and size allowed for the exhaust, mine does.

I've decided there is no good place for a gen exhaust. Every location has a disadvantages!

I'm installing a new gen in the second from front left bay and the exhaust will be straight out from the side of the bus almost flush with the bay door which is expanded metal.

The old gen was this way and there was never a problem. I sure don't want it near the bedroom!

I will also make a removable extension to go straight up above the roof for dry camping.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 09:23:48 AM »

akbusguy;
I also have my gen on a slide and the exhaust goes through the floor and out the side in the center bay, MCI 7.  The muffler man put a flange on the piece from the gen and another flange on the pipe which goes through the floor and out the side.  To check the oil and other things I just unbolt the flange, 2 bolts welded to one flange, the flange drops down on the botton piece, I pull the gen out and then slide it back in and retighten the bolts.  Works slick.
ED
MCI 7

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
gus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 07:28:29 PM »

I'm putting my 6kw Honda gen on a slide like a sled which will slide into two channel iron rails. The muffler is on the bottom of the gen inside the slide so the whole thing comes out in one piece.

The oil filler and dipstick, water filler, oil drain and engine/gen controls are on the front inside a door. The only thing not at the front is the radiator drain. This is one neat rig and it only weighs 250 lb.

The cooling air comes into the the gen through a 3" slot across the front.  Hot air and exhaust come out the bottom. Since my old AC engine bay is open at the bottom this works very well.

I have high hopes that it will just sit there and hum away, no more shaky, noisy Onan.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Greg Roberts

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 04:40:20 PM »

I installed my generator exhasut through the roof on my rust-free Eagle model 20 (he he).

I used 3" double wall stove pipe from below the bay floor all the way through the roof about 1". I sealed this pipe with aluminum tape.

I bought a long section of 2" exhaust pipe from the muffler shop and then wrapped it with high temperature header wrap. I then taped over the header wrap with aluminum tape. I slide the pipe up down through the double wall stove pipe and then centered the pipe top and bottom with a centering device clamped to the exhaust pipe. I then drove to the muffler shop and had then do the final connection to the exhaust pipe. I did go from the generator right into the muffler using flex pipe inside the bay and then turned down through the bay floor. All the muffler shop had to do was connect about 28" of space from this fitting to the exhaust pipe that I had installed to the roof. It is quiet, cool to the touch and stink free. Good luck with your installation. - Greg

Check out my Eagle 20 here: http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: