Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 04:17:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MC5A settling too fast......  (Read 4869 times)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2007, 05:39:32 AM »

I ran this problem past Jack Conrad earlier this week and he suspects my left rear leveling valve....but I'm ahead of myself.

My problem is that my bus settles all the way down, now, overnight.  So much so that the hose adapter from the black water tank is pressed hard against the ground...and it's a short 45 deg...not a 90.

The bus settled over time in the past but it's only the left side that drops drastically.  The other day when I aired up the bus I shut it off at 125#'s and went out to disconnect the batteries.  When I re-entered the bus I looked at the air pressure guage and it had already dropped 10 #'s.  I hear no leaks but that doesn't mean much since my hearing isn't that good anymore.

I'm in central FL where there are no bus shops with pits and it concerns me to think about taking it to NC to my regular repair shop for fear of having a problem on the road with the air system. I don't suspect it being an air bag or beam...last inspection showed both the beams and the bags in good shape.

Any ideas as to the cause or a possible repair shop in Central FL?

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 06:21:42 AM »

The obvious answer is that you have an air leak. The leveling valve is a good possibility.  If it is bad, it can bleed air from the bags and from the sytem, as the system tries to keep up with the leak.  If it is good, then you have a leak in the bags or beam.  For a  simple test of the leveling valve, put the small exhaust tube hanging down from the valve into a cup of water and if it is leaking  you will have lots of bubbles.
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 08:09:02 AM »

Running a tube in a cup of water is a great trick, as My hearing is one ao several things to go.
I have sorted out leaks by airing up the bus with an air compressor, not the bus engine mounted cmpressor. This will keep pressure on without the engine idling away.

Good Luck,
 My leaks were mostly accessories previous owner installed, I.E. baggage door locks and associated tubing.

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 04:41:44 PM »

Bob there was a bus repair place passing out cards at the rally in Arcadia. They were in Lakeland, I think. I have no experience with them. I used a squit gun with bubble soap (the kind kids use for bubbles) may or may not find something for you. If not it will help you enjoy your second childhood Grin

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 06:49:52 AM »

I bought an ultrasonic leak detector - its amazing.  If you can find someone who owns one (or better still - use this as an excuse to add to your cool tool quotient) you will be able to find your leak.  Guaranteed.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 08:15:58 AM »

Bob,

Wish I was still down there, I'd help you find and fix it.

Jack had one of those ultrasonic detectors, but I didn't get to see how well it worked. He spoke highly of it, though.

I would suggest blocking the coach, removing the rear duals on that side, and spraying everything with soapy water. I had a cracked and leaking bag on the first bus I bought that I could not hear, but it was enough to keep that side from airing up. Also check the air hoses along their entire length. I've seen them leak through the braiding in the middle of the hose. Look good on the outside, cracked inside.

It certainly could be the leveling valve, but I'd be spraying everything in there with soap.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 08:22:25 AM »

The beauty of the ultrasonic detector is that it only listens for ultrasonic noise (beyond our hearing range) so you can use it in a noisy environment - engine running, shop air running, radio on in the shop, whatever.  I was pretty skeptical prior to using it but it is an amazing tool and it really does work.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 01:58:09 PM »

Bob,

I'm near Fort White, north of Gainesville and have a pit in my shop.  Come on up, we'll see what we can do.  The only problem is parts availability up here.  Nothing but NAPA and Discount.

Len  352-214-6498

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 07:05:05 PM »

Sorry to hear of your problem Bob!   Stan has covered how to check the leveling valve and that's what I'd do first.  The vent hoses may be gone...look for a small plastic barb on the leveling valve...push a long hose onto the barb and you don't have to get under the bus beyond attaching the hose to the leveling valve.  You may be able to reach this from in front of the tire...without getting between the bus body and upper tire...not sure about a '5.   My airbags leaked and T hears really good but she couldn't hear anything even in a dead quiet area inside.  An airbag gets a case of the fizzies and air just ooozes out...not a real leak from one hole...which would be audible.   
How old are your airbags?   Are the airbeams plated?   
Anyone got a link or picture of an ultrasound leak detection device?   My bus airbags will stay up for weeks, but nothing else does...gotta get on with the leak fix soon.   Tried to get Jack to do an air leak resolution "seminar".  Even generously offered the free use of my bus for the seminar.... but nope...didn't happen.  Oh well, there's still T'ville....DALLAS..(or should I say CAT!)!  Time to set some dates!  And if you need any ides for seminars....I have a couple.  Grin

Best, JR 

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 09:36:18 PM »

NCBOB
I sent you a private message, but thought I would respond on board. While at Arcadia I talked with one of the owners of Central Florida Bus repairs out of Lakeland Florida. they were in the charter business until the insurance hikes after 9-11.

I stopped at his place on the way back to Wisconsin, mainly to get the underside of the bus checked out. It didn't need much, it was mainly for my peice of mind, but they did go out of their way to help and his prices were very fair. And they have some hook ups in their yard too.

Nice people, and I am sure they can find your leaks.

Call;
John Silver 863-665-8155
                863-559-8862

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 07:19:19 PM »

Bob,
This reply might be a little late. But on my 5A there is a check valve installed on each leveling valve on the air beam side. It is a $12.00 part. If it goes bad, it lets the pressure from the air beam back through to the leveling valve exhaust and that corner of the coach settles. That is what caused my problem when the right rear corner of the coach started settling overnight. I should be able to find the part number for you if you need it. Its an easy fix though I removed the duals to get at it.
Fred

Fred Thomson
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 07:27:46 PM »

JimC - that's Wynn Silver's son (another Fla busnut with an Eagle) - he used to operate 'Central Bus Huh?' and yes they had a large fleet of charter buses - they are good people and located close to I4 just SE of Lakeland

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 05:21:31 AM »

Fred, if you could locate the number on that check valve you talked about I'd sure appreciate it.  I can't see one on my L/R valve which is the only one I can see without crawling under the bus.  Thanks for the comeback.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 05:24:07 AM »

Fredward: Are you saying that you have have a check valve on the line to the airbeams that only allows the leveling valve to raise the bus but not to lower it?
Frank

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 07:11:13 AM »

Bob..you say your hearing is not what it used to be,hows your sniffer,is it up to par....*smiling*....I had an old gentleman tell me that the way he found difficult air leaks was to get some of your wife/girlfriend or what ever purfume,remove the line from your engine compressor and put a few drops in it.Fire that baby up and let your nose lead you to it....Frank
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: