Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 07:09:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uses for infrared tempature gun  (Read 4439 times)
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2007, 08:07:41 AM »

With tempature guns being more available I'm wondering of new uses people have come up for them? I use it often for tires, brakes, and bearings on bus and toad. But I alos check the top of the radiator, if it is cool (realitive term) I am low on coolant.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 08:20:02 AM »

I want to buy one of these. How much are they, and where can they be ordered from? I would appreciate any brand name and model number of product you have used and felt was a good purchase. TIA

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 08:24:21 AM »

Me too.  This is my next must-have techie tool but I don't know anything about them.  Acklands has them listed in their sale flyer right now but their price still seems pretty steep at $179 Canuck. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 08:29:15 AM »

I got mine from NAPA several years ago. I think it's a Raytech. I paid around $75 on sale at the time, but I've seen them down around $50 in the last few months at various auto parts and tools places.

I use mine for tires, brakes, engine warming, radiator, interior heating, etc. The laser makes a good cat toy, too.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 08:36:13 AM »

I gave $45 for mine at Sears over a year ago.  Harbor freight has them for $39.95 but I don't know the temp. range, and would suspect the reliability.

Ed.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Dallas

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 08:48:12 AM »

I use this one from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91778

They also have other ones:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93983

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93984

Even though they aren't the most accurate, I can live with the small difference.
I not only use mine for tires, trans, engine, coolant, etc., I use it to find the outside temp when looking out the window in the morning. (My indoor outdoor thermometer died a slow death).
Another use I've found is when we get out the deep fryer and make homemade potato chips or deep fry shrimp. It let's me know that the oil is hot enough.
Cat even uses it instead of her candy thermometer when making fudge, it's much faster and a lot more accurate than her candy thermometer.

One note about the deep frying oil... We had a "Fry-Daddy" that had a hard time keeping the temp up from one batch to another. I noticed when plugged in to a line that gave me a strong 120V I could get temps of around 360F, but if the voltage dropped to 119V I could only achieve temps of around 330F, making for really greasy fish and chips.

We now have a Rival DeepFryer and it will take the temperature up to 390 -400F with no problem and keep it there no matter how fast I put a batch in.

Dallas
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 08:55:09 AM »

Bobofthenorth  Princess auto had them on sale for $33.00 in Saskatoon Flyer. ( sorry ended 27th) I have had the gun type one for about 2 years now from them and it works great. $79.00

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 09:56:13 AM »

Shoot!  I was in Saskatoon on Thursday & normally Princess Auto is on my must stop list but I didn't make it there.  Oh well - there will be another sale.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 02:23:48 PM »

Another Novel use for the IR temp guns...

Check your Batteries... when charging or discharging. Temp diiferences between cells can indicate problems
that you wouldn't see until a critical failure....fire... dead or internal short...

I got mine from Harbor Freight for $39 and it has saved me thousands already....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 04:18:59 PM »

I got mine a few years ago and took it on the bus with me... for a while...
then I figured out that if I check my tea and my soup to make sure it's not over 130 that I could quit burning my woosie little mouth!!
So now it lives in the kitchen at home, and is amazingly useful when warming things up to eat or drink !!!
Go figure...

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 04:51:19 PM »

Been using a sears 50.00 unit for 4 years now. On I/O boats its easy to find your cooling overheat problems and i use it for heating trouble shooting in my plumbing biz. Dont really need it for checking out the cold shoulder my wife gives me once in awhile. also can find air leaks in the house and bus by shooting windows and such.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 05:27:11 PM »

Also habdy for find poor electrical connections. Poor connection=resistance=heat.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
steve5B

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 05:40:39 PM »

Hello,

Would like to add my 2cents worth.   We used one to see the temp of the the front shocks of over the road tractors to see if they were working (travel) the same.  If one was hotter than the other we would change them.  Tried it on my 5B and found out the left one need to be replaced, GREAT TOOL to have or use!

STEVE 5B.

WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 06:28:03 PM »

I want to buy one of these. How much are they, and where can they be ordered from? I would appreciate any brand name and model number of product you have used and felt was a good purchase. TIA

Ebay has all sorts of laser temp guns for cheap.  I bought a Raytech with a 900* F range for $49 bucks.  $7 bucks shipping. 
You never know what Ebay has to offer in the form of knockoffs...but mine works fine.  Note that most bluetooth wireless cellphone headsets seem to be Chinese knockoffs even though they claim NEW OEM MOTOROLA.  The Chinese interpretation of "OEM" is similar to parsing the word "is" by Bil....nevermind.   Roll Eyes 
Played with the heat gun a right good bit during the Arcadia trip and it was repeatable.   
Be sure and get a unit that reads upward to 900 degrees or more.  Some only go to 500 degrees and this isn't useful with exhaust manifold temps...works on about everything else..
My dos centavos.  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
gus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 06:30:35 PM »

They are perfect for checking relative temps, such as tires. I try to check each tire at exactly the same spot on the tread so I can see if any are hotter than the others and probably lower pressure.

If you need exact temps then you must follow exactly the directions for distance from and area of the object tested. I have two, one works at 8" and one at 6".  They are never closer than 5-10 degrees.

I guess the best way to get exact temps is to have three and take an average!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: