Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 01:43:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uses for infrared tempature gun  (Read 4555 times)
Dallas

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 06:43:10 PM »

They are perfect for checking relative temps,

Hey Gusc,

The only "relative" temps I want are the liver temps taken by the coroner.

Actually, my relatives are far and away the best. Imean that, I really do! The farther and farther away..... the better! Grin
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 09:07:16 PM »

Gus, I think tire temps on heavy equiptment relate mostly to brake applications and torque. If you are checking brakes, don't try to fix the hot one!

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 05:00:44 AM »

I have found that using the gun to check tires, brakes and wheel bearings is relative-not specific. If we are driving north on I-75 in Florida in the afternoon and stop to check temps, the left side will be slightly hotter due to the sun shining on that side. We have also found the the outside dual is usually a little cooler than the inside dual (better air flow?). It we check temps after a stretch of stop & go driving such as a city with many stoplights, all temps will be moderately higher. Ambient temps will also affect the readings.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 06:36:51 AM »

Bobofthenorth: Cdn Tire sells them and if you wait long enough,  everything they sell will be on sale at half price (like Harbor Freight). From reading the ads, it seems that some have a laser pointer so that you know what spot you are measuring, and some do not. I guess to measure a tire temperature it would not matter, but to measure an electrical connection it would be necessary. I don't have one, so this is just an opinion!
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 07:07:47 AM »

I've had a RayTech with a Laser pointer for 2+ years now. Just awesome!  Grin
I paid ~$75 for it.

Also remember it is measuring the infraRed NOT actual temp! This means the surface color & texture will effect the reading. Shiney chrome & flat black will read different temps with an IR gun even tho they are at the same temp. This is why it's a good idea to play with it & keep a log so you can get a feel for how different surfaces & colors read. That way you will get a good baseline for how to use it & what 'nomal' temps are.

JR, there can be a HUGE diference in OE & OEM.
OE must meet specifications of original equipment.
OEM must be made by the same manufacturer (usually the products that were over-runs or off-spec.)

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 07:50:46 AM »

Thanks to all who responded with both tips for use, and the different types to buy. I bought the RayTec off ebay that reads from below zero to over 900F, 49.99 + 6.99 shipping. It should be here in plenty of time for my upcoming trip,,, what a great resource this list is.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
Ray Powell

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 08:31:22 PM »

The red beam makes a great chase toy for a cat or dog.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 09:33:15 PM »

Jack,

Good point, never thought about air circulation to the inside dual, I just thought it was because it was closer to the differential and engine heat.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2007, 09:33:29 AM »

I always thought the brake drum was the biggest cause for the inner dual having a higher temp. The lack of good airflow leaves the heat there to warm the tire. This really causes problems when the tires are at maximum load.

Another benefit of Jakes or retarders would be cooler tires that last longer.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2007, 01:05:59 PM »

Kyle, To get good airflow under my coach I had to raise the front to the max spec. Not only are the brakes cooling better, the crosswind problem is completely gone.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2007, 03:39:55 PM »

Dallas,

Great suggestion for frying stuff.  Drug out the temp gun and it works great for frying with just a little oil that is not deep enough for a thermometer. Its a diet aid too!  Grin 

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2007, 04:08:02 PM »

Looking for some input here.  My philosophy has always been to buy good quality tools and take care of them, and they last me forever.  Well, when it comes to the infrared guns, I've had my eye on the Fluke 65 model.  Kinda pricey, with new units around $300.   (Choke, gag.)    I've never rationalized buy a new one, but have followed several fleaBay auctions and bid (unsuccessfully) on a few.

So the question is:  Are the ones at less than a third of the price pretty close?  Durability, accuracy. etc.  I know Fluke has a pretty decent name, but what is it about their unit the commands such a higher price?

WEC4104

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2007, 04:17:43 PM »

Good question!!  Nothing use to irk me more than to go to say, Sears and buy a craftsman tool. Then go to Harorfrieght and find the same thing for 1/4 the price. People will always jump on this and say, but it is made to Craftsman specs. 30 years ago, maybe a valid argument, but not today.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2007, 04:56:09 PM »

So the question is:  Are the ones at less than a third of the price pretty close?  Durability, accuracy. etc.  I know Fluke has a pretty decent name, but what is it about their unit the commands such a higher price?

WEC4104

The name!

I don't know that my IR temp gun is accurate, but I believe it gives repeatable results. I use it as a tool to look for trends & to see when something is not normal.

When I went 2500 miles away to get a bunch of bus parts, I used it on the way out to base-line the tires, brakes, hubs, etc. It was nice to see the loaded tire & hub temps were with in 5 deg of the empty readings. The tires on the sunny side were as much as 20 deg warmer than the shady side tires.

Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2007, 06:29:29 PM »

I've been using a "3M" infared thermometer for about 5 years now, cost me about $95.  It seems consistent, a accuracy is within about 2 degrees as far as I can tell. FWIW

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: