Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 10:15:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uses for infrared tempature gun  (Read 4557 times)
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2007, 09:11:11 PM »

My new Raytec arrived today. My daughter and i sat and took temps of everything in the room. These things are really amazing. My daughter said she can't imagine anyone getting one of these things and not shooting temps of everything in the room! This model seems very accurate and easy to use, and i look forward to taking it on my upcoming trip to monitor tires, bearings, brakes, etc.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2007, 09:43:27 AM »

As has been mentioned, we are looking for abnormal temperatures rather than absolute temperatures.  I believe any of the guns will do a good job for most of our needs. 

As has been mentioned, the reflective characteristic of the surface can significantly change the reading.  More expensive guns will have adjustments for emissivity.  That sounds good, but in the real world, you would need a calibration system.  In our belt test lab (when I worked at Gates) we used a calibrated heat chamber with several samples in the chamber.  Because of the chamber, they were all heated to the same temperature.  We would then determine the emissivity level setting for each type of surface (belts, sheave, painted bearings, etc.).  We needed the absolute temperature for our data logging.  However, that was in a LAB.  In the real world, we don’t need to know the temperature exactly.

As an example of emissivity, I suspect JohnZ, saw temperature variations for different items in the room.  Indeed, they all should have been about the same temperature, unless selected items were getting heated by exposure to the sun through a window.

Bottom line, the cheaper guns should be fine for what we use them for.

Having said that, I firmly believe that trying to tie tire temperature as some sort of measure of tire pressure is bordering on a dangerous process.  Obviously, a severely under-inflated tire will be hot.  However, I strongly suspect that you can not sort out a 15% under-inflated tire from the others because of the variation that occurs from exposure to the sun, difference from wind-loading, inside vs outside dual, etc.  The same goes for “thumping”.  Temperature and thumping might tell you of a severe condition, but not warn you of a long-term damage causing problem.  There is simply no substitute for measuring the tire pressure with a gauge or tire pressure monitor. 

Now to unique uses of a temperature gun.  My wife has rheumatoid arthritis.  One of the symptoms is elevated temperature at the affected joints.  When she has symptoms of a flair-up, we get the gun out to see if it is truly a flair-up of RA or her osteoarthritis (the common ailment that many of us suffer from if we have a few years on the old body).  It makes a huge difference, since the two ailments are treated quite differently.  The RA requires increasing dosage of some really nasty medications to prevent accelerated damage to the joints, as opposed to generic pain killers for the osteoarthritis. 

I often mention this unique application in my seminars and Pat always gives me a “crusty” if she hears me. Wink

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2007, 11:03:36 AM »

I've been using my Raytec since the early 90's, back then when you bought it, it came in a nice plastic carrying case that was just about bomb proof..........it still works today and has to rank up there with one of the best diagnostic tools that I've ever purchased!  I wish I could list all of the things I've used it on from electrical connections, to race car tires, water temps on my geothermal heating system, engine temps, exhaust temps, cases of the red _ss don't show up, but there are other way's of determining that!    All in all it's awesome!           

Pat
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 04:53:13 PM by muddog16 » Logged

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: