Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 11:02:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brrrr -- COLD!!  (Read 2223 times)
JerryH

« on: January 28, 2007, 11:32:41 AM »

Ok, so you northern people who embrace the cold -- clearly you're used to it.
Well we went to Stowe, VT on Thursday to ski on Fri & Sat.
Holy crap was it COLD.  It was -10 at the base, plus the wind chill.  It was -22 at the summit, plus the windchill (-50).
I'll tell you ... we never experienced that before and it was en eye opening experience.

That said, we thankfully didn't take the bus ... it would not have been well-suited for such temps.  So requirements for such elements will be put into the mix.

Met a bus driver, driving a 45-foot Van Hool (from VA), who said he hadn't shut the coach off since his VA departure for fear of not getting started (easily) again.

So yeah, really like to work on the cold-weather bus requirements.

Jerry H.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 01:09:46 PM »

Heh heh heh!! Roll Eyes

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 03:11:57 PM »

Jerry,

You could always give up snow skiing and take up water skiing. Grin

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
JerryH

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 03:51:55 PM »

Jerry,

You could always give up snow skiing and take up water skiing. Grin

Nick-

Thanks for the suggestion Nick, but never been a boat (or ocean) person.  No sharks in the snow!! Cheesy

Jerry H.
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 04:14:07 PM »

Jerry:
There are also no rocks or trees, there maybe but that is another story.  I agree if it is below 50 degrees that is to cold.  We have had some cold weather here in Northern Arizona also.
ED
MCI 7

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 04:45:11 PM »

Sounds like to me it was cold enough to freeze the brass nuts off a steel bridge.

Pete & Jean
            Fantasy

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 05:58:24 PM »

I have lived up here in northern Minnesota my entire life, but i have to say that lately i do not embrace this weather. Getting out of here for a few months each winter was a major reason to buy the coach. As a matter of fact i am currently working on getting the bus ready for a trip straight south down I-35 towards warmer temps. Just bringing a couple bicycles and warmer clothes along. I am soooo looking forward to this trip. I do not have the luxury of an indoor spot to work on the bus, and right now it is just too cold to do anything outside. Yesterday had the furnace running and warmed it up inside, so we worked on it all afternoon and into the early morning.

I am offering up my share of the cold to anyone who wants it. Come and get it!

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 09:10:17 PM »

I tell you what I spent the weekend in South Bend, IN and Sat. night we got about 4" of snow,and when I left around 11 ish AM it was warmer than it is here in Nashville tonight! But I guess I shouldn't be complaining, I nearly froze those poor college kids between Carmel, IN and the Far So. Sode of Indy (whiteland, IN0 They were asking if there was some way to get some more heat, so I told them I'd stop at the Flying J and put cardboard orve one of the radiators. Come to find out I accidently had flipped the A/C - Heat switch up instead of down! LOL! Once I found the problem we were good to go!   BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
captain ron

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 11:07:05 PM »

Cold tonight in Nashville. Just rode my bike home from the bar I played at last night, Got a ride home with a cute little realestate girl. Grin
Road home 27 miles the other night 24 deg. 18 wind chill and drove 90mph (figure out the wind chill on that one) But over all it's been nice enough to ride my bike almost every day. Beets Wisconsin weather. Bryce stop and visit
Moof

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 07:56:08 AM »

Ron,

You might be able to extrapolate what the wind chill for 24F is at 90mph from this chart.  Only 3F at 60mph.  Up here that is just a warm breeze.

Our weather in the Interior of AK has been pretty good the past few weeks.  Just hovering above freezing.  They are talking about freezing rain today.  Spring must be on the way.

If the chart below is too small to read just click on it and it should get bigger.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 07:59:22 AM by Moof » Logged
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 01:26:19 PM »

Tis the season here too. Didn't get over 60* today and will get down to about 40* here on the coast tonight.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 02:56:18 PM »

Cold tonight in Nashville. Just rode my bike home from the bar I played at last night, Got a ride home with a cute little realestate girl. Grin
Road home 27 miles the other night 24 deg. 18 wind chill and drove 90mph (figure out the wind chill on that one) But over all it's been nice enough to ride my bike almost every day. Beets Wisconsin weather. Bryce stop and visit

All I know is the sign near the hotel showed 18* when I was checking in around 10:00 PM ! (Too cold to snow! LOL!)  I would've shouted at you, if I'd known you were there! I had left the hotel before 10:45 AM and boogied on home! And was here already before I read this !!!!! But I know it wasn't that cold in South Bend!
BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 06:57:33 PM »

Well, I did something the other day I've never done in my life.  I shoveled snow.  My wife watched me from the window and said I looked like a pro.  I went to work and they all laughed at me.  Apparently, they don't bother snowing for just two inches.  I told them that I grew up in the South and this was more snow than I had ever seen in my life.

They just laughed and laughed!!! Roll Eyes

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 07:42:48 PM »

This cold snap is brutal. Today I had to put on a long sleeve shirt and I also wore socks!!!! It has not been ths cold in arcadia FL in a long time.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 08:16:17 PM »

Man o man! I want to escape, to get to the heat so i can do some bicycle riding. This cold snap better be ending right about Feb 10. Is it warm anywhere? Am planning a run down I-35, maybe going through KY and TN, or going to Louisiana. Don't matter much to me, just want to be warm for a couple weeks.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
captain ron

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 10:19:48 PM »

Rode my bike up to the prevost center north of Nashville and visited with Rich from the other board (maybe this one too) and stopped for dinner in Nashville at the long horn. When I finally left after dinner and 3 hot teas with honey and frangelica It was 18 deg. with a wind chill of 8 deg. Since the chart only goes to 60 mph on the wind side I figure it was at least -11 degrees at 75 mph brrrrr
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: