Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 07:48:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "What spare parts should a converter carry for their conversions on the road??"  (Read 4049 times)
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 06:59:53 AM »

Kyle4501:
You are absolutely correct when you stated have fun and enjoy your coach.

It seems that too many on the board must enjoy working on the coach rather than using them.
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 10:23:36 AM »

everyone,
This lengthy post on spare parts below took hours to put together from all the suggestions received by you all.  I have put this infomation as best as I can in one document so Richard can place it in the"HELP" section with all your comments as well. 
Thanks for your help in this, some may benefit from it, others don't care perhaps but in case it is needed thanks to you all we have it documented from our experiences. 

Thanks a million to you all for your help in this.  Now I can go work on my Eagle for a couple of hours and get off this computer.
Gary

Gary
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 11:40:39 AM »

Thanks very much for all your efforts Gary. I know it is very time consuming to put together something like this. I will move your post to the Help board and post a link to it so htat everyone can find it.
Richard

everyone,
This lengthy post on spare parts below took hours to put together from all the suggestions received by you all.  I have put this infomation as best as I can in one document so Richard can place it in the"HELP" section with all your comments as well. 
Thanks for your help in this, some may benefit from it, others don't care perhaps but in case it is needed thanks to you all we have it documented from our experiences. 

Thanks a million to you all for your help in this.  Now I can go work on my Eagle for a couple of hours and get off this computer.
Gary

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 11:44:22 AM »

This topic has been moved to Board Help.

CONVERTERS SPARE PARTS LIST TO TRAVEL WITH FOR YOUR BUS
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 12:00:35 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Torquester

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 08:30:34 PM »

Hi all,

I saw the topic of this discussion and read a little bit of the first post so please excuse me if some of this is redundant.

My list is based upon my experience with actual problems that I have had.

super glue
bicycle inner tube or similar
two part putty epoxy (type used for emergency chemical spill)
good quality duct tape
hose clamps all same so they can be linked and some small ones
pipe plugs and clamps 1/8"-3/4"
teflon tape
tool kit (fairly serious here....all wrenches and sockets that your coach needs plus files, taps and dies, special tools etc.)
cell phone
service manual
bolt and nut assortment (from 8-24 to 1/2-13) not too many, longer fastners can be shortened
rubber cement
small lengths of heater hose and parflex, as per what is used on your bus (ex;1/4", 3/4", 1-1/4")
hose couplers....cheap plastic couplers for rubber hoses 3/4", 1-1/4" etc.
make sure that you have hose clamps for above
push on air line connectors... a small assortment...most important are couplers
fuel filters
drive belts....one spare for every one on your bus unless they are not absolutely necessary
pipe nipples and reducing bushings 1/8" - 1"
12 or 24 volt fuses or breakers
50 feet of 10 gage primary wire
small assortment of smaller gage primary wire
assortment of primary wire, crimp on connectors (ring, spade, and butt connectors, 18-10 gage)

prolly more....tired now

most of my kit fits in a box 12"W X 12" D X 24" L

hth,

Tq

PS, this stuff has kept me from being stranded on the side of the road at least a dozen times.

Torquester
1974 Silver Eagle, 3406 Caterpillar, South Dakota
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 05:06:09 AM »

Hey Tim! If you come back here I have a few questions for you!  I was looking through your photo album again! First question after all of that insulation just how quiet was the ride in your bus and how many squeaks did you hear? Smiley Second and final question what were the dimensions of your side windows and are you satisfied with them! Ok! I slipped in a third question but heck your site is so impressive I can't resist! One absoluted amazing bus!   

Pat

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 06:36:27 AM »

Torquester,
I have just gotten back from looking at your fantastic, great, beautiful conversion work on your Eagle, what great workmanship and terrific ideas.  You have to know I enjoyed your albums and only seen about 70% of them so far and right after this post going back to look at them all again.  This photo album you have shared with us is a lot of help with making decisions on my Eagle when I get to the fun part like you are now doing.

I hope you do not mind me posting your album address here, it is really informative to "Newbies" in particular to think of ideas and the right way to do the things you need to do.  Here is the address to go to:
http://members6.clubphoto.com/tim393476/guest-1.phtml
take your time in viewing and enjoy. 
We are now getting about 4-6 inches of snow and sleet and what a mess it is making.  when this happens in SC everything shuts down, there is no school. no paper, no mail, no milk / bread or eggs in any store!!!!?Huh  Oh well, I plan to stay inside today, go and look at the rest of Troquesters album and some others I have not viewed in a while but this one just makes my day and I am so envious.  Just great workmanship.

I enjoyed the family and wedding photos also and again thanks for sharing all this with us.  Here is a view of what is going on in SC right this moment, a real rarity in this area but probably not exciting to those like Buswarrior in Canada and Jim@RVsafety in Col. and others. 
Gary

Gary
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 07:12:41 AM »

Torquester,
Do you mind telling us what material it is that you lined your cupboads and baggage bay walls etc. with.  The gray material, looks like airline type carpeting or something and where did you purchase it?  Looks real nice.   Got more albums to relook at .  See you.  Probably will have more questions also.  Sorry!!  No I'm not!!  I love information.
Gary

Gary
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 09:01:56 AM »

Gary,looks like you got a pretty heavy frost down there today. LOL
Richard

Torquester

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 03:51:15 PM »

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words. To answer your questions: The material that I used to line the cabinets etc. is called trunk liner and was purchased in Denver from  http://www.keystonbros.com/index2.html  .

The insulation made a huge difference, zero squeaks, very quiet inside. Before the insulation there were not really any squeaks but the engine could be heard much better, especially the turbo spooling. Now you can't hear what the engine is doing. The side windows are about 54" wide and 36" tall (going from memory here) I like the size. I'd do double pane next time.

Thanks again, Tq

Torquester
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »

Perfect timing Tim, thanks for the info on your windows, I'm sure double pane is the way!  One more question if that's possible, on your cafe doors how are your hinges mounted the appear to be concealed?     Thanks again!     

Pat

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 05:30:35 PM »

A trailer would be nice too to haul all that stuff. Ever look in a Greyhound bus to see what they are hauling?? Sure they have newer buses, but still running a bunch of MC-12s. The drivers probally don't treat the buses as good as a proud bus nut. How often do you see a 'hound on the side of the road. Sure it is wise to carry extra belts, spare tire and surely oil and bulbs but I think good service and up keep is the key.
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2007, 07:42:36 PM »

The written list of "suggested spare parts" looks long, it is only a guide to be considered from information suggested by those more experienced at having on the road situations with buses probably older than some of you have.  Good maintenance cannot account for things un-forseen in the future from road debris doing undercarriage or engine damage, hitting a dear and not having a head light if needed etc, the list goes on.  Las Vegas is full of gamblers, not having any spares is just that but everyone's choice for sure.  It is your personal priority list of things you want to travel with and anything extra may be in the way.  This "Suggested" information is probably not needed by all and probably appreciated by many. 
Good Luck.
Gary

Gary
Torquester

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 03:59:16 PM »

Pat,

The bay doors use a stainless steel piano hinge. It is riveted to the edge of the door frame and to the edge of the opening frame. If you look close you can see them from the exterior. The aluminum siding helps them blend in.

hth, Tq

Torquester
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: