Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 12:14:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: awning on drivers side  (Read 1492 times)
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2007, 07:58:38 AM »

I am planning on putting awnings all the way around my coach to sheild the large windows from the summer sun. I have an option to install a large patio awning on the drivers side as well as the passenger side.

I am wanting to hear from anyone who has installed an awning large enough to sit under on the drivers side - Would this ever be used? or is it just more $ and weight?

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 09:18:52 AM »

I am planning on putting awnings all the way around my coach to sheild the large windows from the summer sun. I have an option to install a large patio awning on the drivers side as well as the passenger side.

I am wanting to hear from anyone who has installed an awning large enough to sit under on the drivers side - Would this ever be used? or is it just more $ and weight?
Jim, very few campground spaces have enough room to permit a drivers side awning. In fact, many of them only have a couple of feet. I did install driver side awnings to reduce the heat when the sun was on that side of the coach, but I never saw anyone with a full size driver side awning.
In the desert we occasionally would park front to back with another unit so that our full size awnings mated with each other and we then had a very large shaded area. Mostly however we parked in a big western style circle with the campfire in the middle.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 09:38:49 AM »

Hi Jim,

I'll give you an example of the window awnings that I install. Both are power awnings.

I don't have them on my coach because of my drip rails are partly hanging over my windows keeping me from installing them.

Both are my A&E line
Designed to match LA03, WeatherPro and Two-Step patio awnings
Fully enclosed case
Features full or partial extension
12-volt, push-button operation

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 09:41:19 AM »

Jim,

Also have a manual pull down sun screen.

Here is the pic.   and Go to  www.dometicusa.com  you will find them in the RV section.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 09:46:10 AM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 12:12:45 PM »

Nick, this is something I have never seen before. Looks pretty trick. It does go on the outside of the coach does it not? Can someone order it from you directly? Here is the link directly to the item:
manual pull down sun screen

Jim,

Here is the pic.   and Go to  www.dometicusa.com  you will find them in the RV section.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 02:56:15 PM »

Yes Richard, on the outside.

I will load thoose part #'s onto my web site to make it easier.

Just so you know they can come in any size up to 8 ft.

Nick-

Here is the ordering and installation PDF  http://www.dometicusa.com/pdf/3107592.010.pdf
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 03:00:14 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 10:40:25 AM »

Nick, this is something I have never seen before. Looks pretty trick. It does go on the outside of the coach does it not? Can someone order it from you directly? Here is the link directly to the item:
manual pull down sun screen

Jim,

Richard,

They are on my site now
Thanks
Nick-

Linda-4104-FL

Night Coach

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 07:42:27 PM »

In answer to Jim's original question, we have full-size patio awnings installed on each side of our 4104.  The price was right, it was a close-out model, I think (A&E 10000 Elite, which they don't even make anymore AFAIK).  As it turns out, the one on the driver's side has become on-site storage of a spare awning, for a couple of reasons.  One, usually when parking in a commercial campsite, the driver's side is closest to a tree, or your neighbor, or whatever.  There's not much point in pulling in to leave enough room on the driver's side to put the awning out, because that's usually the side where your dump valves are and where the campground's sewer drain and fresh water tap are located.  Second, when we are boondocking, the generator exhaust is on that side and if the awning were extended, it would tend to trap the fumes when the generator is running.  And if boondocking with neighboring campers, we use a vertical stack on that exhaust, which prevents the awning from being used.  Hope this helps.
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 11:28:08 AM »

Yes, it helps, thanks Linda and DML for addressing the question. I am thinking I may just do window awnings on that side.

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 11:36:44 AM »

I think you would get a lot more use out of window awnings than a patio awning. Probably a patio awning would not cover the rear bedroom window either where sun blocking is really needed.
Richard

H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 12:22:43 PM »

DML and on the passenger side, I think I may end up with a patio awning all the way back to the rear.  Since I am using the lateral arm type, its not much more $ to go with the patio type all the way back instead of the window awning in the rear. The patio sized lateral arm can stop part way out so its not really a drawback having it - other than weight and extra $.

Generally when I go to the desert we too do the circle the wagons thing.   I liked your idea of pulling up next to someone that also has a big awning and having the spot in the middle be all shade, a tunnel of shade.

Jim Stewart

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: