Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 09:02:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT: Computer Crash & Recovery - Mystery SOLVED!!!  (Read 670 times)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2007, 12:31:07 AM »

Thanks to Dr Dave - Reloaded, the problem has been solved!!  WoooHooo!!

Seems that I left a crucial bit of info out of my original post on this topic, one that might have saved a whole lot of grief, and repair suggestions that may not have been necessary.

The crucial bit of info?

What was I doing when the system crashed.  Duh. . .

The old computer (a Dell 4550) froze when I sent a document to be printed from the new computer (a Dell 9200) over my home network to a printer that was connected to the 4550.

Dr Dave, in a PM, made a suggestion that triggered the repair, outlined as follows:

From the near-frozen desktop, use Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to the Task Manager.  Tab to "Performance".  Discovered 100% of CPU was being used - strange. . .  Tabbed to "Processes", and found a file called spoolsv.exe to be utilizing 98 - 99 of the CPU.  Tabbed down to that file, and deleted it.  Within a few seconds, the mouse began operating.  Progress!!

From there, went into Control Panel and deleted all the printers.  Then did a search for "spoolsv.exe", and found it in Windows/System32.  Opened it, and, altho all the printers had been deleted, there were SIX print jobs listed in this file.  Deleted all six, closed program, shut down machine, then did a cold boot.

BINGO!

System booted normally, mouse worked, keyboard response was back to normal.  Everything was just like it was before the freeze.  WoooHooo!!

Did a Google search for spoolsv.exe, and discovered that it's the print spooler, and yes, it's prone to either freezing the machine, or making it terribly sluggish - exactly what happened to me.  It can also be a trojan, and if so, it will be found in another folder somewhere.  May also have a slightly different spelling, too.

So, my hat's off to Dr Dave, as well as to everyone else who scratched their heads over this with me.  I sincerely appreciate the help from each and every one of you.

And yes, I'm in the process of backing everything up!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled busnut ramblings. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 03:45:43 AM »

Glad to hear the problem is solved! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Cudos to Dr. Dave!  Cool Cool Cool

I normally just threaten my computer with the mig welder and it straightens right up!

Dallas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: