Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 14, 2017, 01:05:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mechanical DDC  (Read 436 times)
birdarchitect26

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2017, 06:15:52 AM »

What years did DD switch to electronic control. I'm almost certain my bus (1973 MC7) is mechanical, aka no DDC. The bus WAS converted by MCI in 1984. How can I tell? I don't see a box anywhere, although there is a large box on the forward wall.

The question arose because I think my Jake brake is not working. I hardly let the engine reach operating temps. The bus has been sitting for months because of a fuel issue, now solved!

I'll post a pic of the bay

J
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 06:21:00 AM »

Look for wiring harness coming out of valve covers, not just single wire for Jake's.

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 06:47:03 AM »

The DDEC sets on top of the governor if you have a throttle cable,air hoses, cylinders and linkage on the governor you have a mechanical engine

Life is short drink the good wine first
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:57:54 AM »

As far as I know the "DDEC" (Detroit Diesel Electronic Control) engines came out in the mid to late '80's.
I have worked on an '87 or '88 that was DDEC and have worked on them all the way up to '94 that weren't.

But just because a bus was built before then does not mean it is not have a DDEC engine swapped in to it.
I have worked on a 1973 MCI that had an 8V92 DDEC in it.
Also there are a number of older buses that have been converted to DDEC like Boomer's Silversides with a 6L71 DDEC. (and I know Clifford has done a few too)
Grin  BK  Grin
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 09:39:28 AM »

Don't know what the official date would be from Detroit, but I saw my first 60 Series engine in '86  at a training class and bought my first three in '87 (trucks).  Not sure about the first DDEC 2 strokes, would be interested to know.

'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
Vancouver, WA USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 10:13:25 AM »

DDEC's came on the market in 1985 for the 2 strokes fwiw

Life is short drink the good wine first
Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM
Publisher - BCM
Help Team

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 06:29:26 PM »

My Eagle is a 1967 when LBJ (Lady Bird Johnson) ran the White House and it came with a DDEC.  Does that help?  Cheesy

Of course, it did have an engine swap somewhere along the way from an 8V71 to a 60 Series.   Grin

The Electronic engines are great because they are full of surprises. There is never a dull moment. You never know when they will shut down on you for no apparent reason in heavy traffic, on hills, or sometimes when traveling thru one lane construction zones with no place to pull over as happened to me yesterday.  Thankfully, she started right up again each time.

The mechanical engines were very boring to drive. They just ran and ran and ran and ran and ran. 

1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversions.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: