Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 16, 2017, 02:39:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  4,812 Members as of August 9, 2016 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to buy snow chains for coach?  (Read 1621 times)
Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2017, 04:47:30 PM »

I'm needing to obtain a pair of tire chains for my 11R 24.5 tires. I've looked a little online but can't seem to find the right size? Do truck stops carry these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 05:16:43 PM »

I did a quick search and found at least a dozen places to buy 11R24.5 chains.  Try https://www.tirechain.com/11-24.5.htm

Truck stops carry chains, but it might be more difficult to find 11R24.5 chains because most trucks are 22.5 these days.  I always figure if chains are required I shouldn't be on the road.  I was in a pretty bad snow storm around Oct 1 one year and I was surprised they didn't either require chains or close the highway.  We made it fine, but it was white knuckle 25 MPH driving for hours.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 06:09:20 PM »

Used to put them on the front of my jacked up 4x4 CJ7 jeep and it was a pita. Would hate to try (wouldn't) on dual 12R 22.5 tires. Good luck Scott.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 07:09:18 PM »

It's bad enough to be in conditions that require chains and 10 times worse if towing a heavyweight like an Expedition.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 07:09:47 PM »

.>>>Dan
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:11:22 PM by Utahclaimjumper » Logged

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 07:52:52 PM »

A few years ago we were taking our daughter and her horse to California in December for training.  I was drivng the bus and my wife towing the horse trailer with our Chev dually. Because they require chains to go over the Sykious Pass(from Oregon to  California) I bought chains for the bus and the dually. As it turned our it was snowing a lot and we had to chain up. Fortunately I had practiced chaining up both the truck and the bus at home so I knew how to do it and what to expect. I had a large sheet of cardboard to lay on and LOTS of rubber bungee cords to keep the chains tight and the proper clothing to be laying on the snowy ground.. And I can say that I WAS NEVER SO HAPPY IN MY LIFE TO HAVE CHAINS ON THE BUS.The pass was rutted and icy but I felt very safe with chains on. So my advice is the practice first. Its not really difficult.
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 08:23:18 PM »

Some western states require that you have chains in the vehicle during the winter months whether you have to use them or not. And if the chains required signs are up you are required by law to put them on if you continue to travel. If you travel w/o them and an accident happens regardless of the cause you will be at fault for not having/using chains.

That said back when I drove truck I carried chains on my trucks, but very rarely used them!

Back then the truck stops in those areas had what they called "chain banks" where you could rent the chains on one side of a pass and return them on the other at another truck stop. I haven't been out west in the winter for many years. But I am sure the "chain banks" are still there.

Also the truck stops sell them out right as well. Shouldn't be a problem finding the 11/24.5 size as many owner operators and logging trucks still use 11/24.5's.
Grin  BK  Grin 
Scott & Heather

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 08:56:28 PM »

Thanks guys. You have to understand that I don't always have the benefit of "not traveling" when things get dicey. This time of year I have to be in a different state every weekend and I have three years of contracts to do this, so notwithstanding really rough road conditions, if the road isn't closed, I'm likely to be on it. I've driven the coach in plenty of snow and even glare ice...I'm comfortable  driving in those conditions. The issue is that last year driving through Northern California into and out of Portland we were within minutes of "chain up" requirements as the snow fell. If I didn't have them, we'd be in a very unsafe condition, and we would be full out illegal and we saw police beginning to show up at "chain up" locations. If nothing else, I need them to be in compliance. So, I'll be purchasing a set and I'll only be putting them on the outer duals. Talked to plenty of truckers who do just that... I've chained up large trucks before so I'm comfy with the process. I will indeed practice with the bus chains before we need them.

Scott & Heather
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 10:53:31 PM »

Smiley

oops...
http://www.realworktrucks.com/insta-chain-automatic-snow-chains-6-chain-system.html

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:10:57 PM by eagle19952 » Logged

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 02:19:03 AM »

You might consider Cable-type chains unless you are likely to need them a lot. Much lighter and easier to put on, and Ok for occasional use but not sure they make them for all sizes.

sales@tirechain.com
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:20:57 AM by Tony LEE » Logged

B_K

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 07:03:11 AM »

Scott if it were me I'd check with a chain bank on your route. If they don't have your size then find out who / where you can get a set of cables, and buy them.
I ain't seen them for ever but I used to have a set of cables here for our buses that I would throw in a luggage bay of any of our buses that were headed to an area where they might be needed. (wasn't often)
Grin  BK  Grin
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 07:12:06 AM »

Find a source for chains AWAY from the truck stops.

Truck dealers, big truck parts stores, anywhere but the captured market/high retail price at a truck stop...

Carefully check the different chain regulations, to be sure you have enough chains for enough wheels.

Like everything regulatory, jurisdictions love to have their own take on things from their neighbours...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »

The independent truck parts stores up here in Canada have stacks of them piled high near the front counter this time of year. All sizes. Not really expensive either. I would get singles just for the outside duals. Also get the ones with the V studs for much better traction. I have a set in the baggage tank I hardly ever use, but they are there for compliance, and peace of mind. As you know, a bus has very good traction because there is a lot of weight over the drive axle, as long as you have good tires. The difficulty with chaining up a bus is there is not a lot of space around the wheel to do it. I removed the rubber skirts that made it impossible to wrap the jewelry around the back tires. Raising the bus with the levelling system, if you have that, helps too.

Happy trails.

JC

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Scott & Heather

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »

Thanks Bryce, I'll see what I can find. I haven't seen a chain bank yet. Are cables in compliance, I thought in my research that they weren't for large trucks? Maybe I'm wrong?  Buswarrior, from everything I've read as long as I have the outer drive duals chained, I'm compliant. If you find anything to the contrary in California or Oregon please do share...JC, when I raise my rear bags to max height I have a lot of space around the tires to get chains on. Not an issue at all. I had custom aluminum fenders made for our coach so I'm good on that front. Good heads up.

Scott & Heather
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 11:46:56 AM »

Arent's the 22.5 and 24.5 the same tire chain ?

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: