Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 14, 2017, 07:20:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to buy snow chains for coach?  (Read 1613 times)
Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2017, 04:47:30 PM »

I'm needing to obtain a pair of tire chains for my 11R 24.5 tires. I've looked a little online but can't seem to find the right size? Do truck stops carry these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 05:16:43 PM »

I did a quick search and found at least a dozen places to buy 11R24.5 chains.  Try https://www.tirechain.com/11-24.5.htm

Truck stops carry chains, but it might be more difficult to find 11R24.5 chains because most trucks are 22.5 these days.  I always figure if chains are required I shouldn't be on the road.  I was in a pretty bad snow storm around Oct 1 one year and I was surprised they didn't either require chains or close the highway.  We made it fine, but it was white knuckle 25 MPH driving for hours.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 06:09:20 PM »

Used to put them on the front of my jacked up 4x4 CJ7 jeep and it was a pita. Would hate to try (wouldn't) on dual 12R 22.5 tires. Good luck Scott.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 07:09:18 PM »

It's bad enough to be in conditions that require chains and 10 times worse if towing a heavyweight like an Expedition.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 07:09:47 PM »

.>>>Dan
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:11:22 PM by Utahclaimjumper » Logged

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 07:52:52 PM »

A few years ago we were taking our daughter and her horse to California in December for training.  I was drivng the bus and my wife towing the horse trailer with our Chev dually. Because they require chains to go over the Sykious Pass(from Oregon to  California) I bought chains for the bus and the dually. As it turned our it was snowing a lot and we had to chain up. Fortunately I had practiced chaining up both the truck and the bus at home so I knew how to do it and what to expect. I had a large sheet of cardboard to lay on and LOTS of rubber bungee cords to keep the chains tight and the proper clothing to be laying on the snowy ground.. And I can say that I WAS NEVER SO HAPPY IN MY LIFE TO HAVE CHAINS ON THE BUS.The pass was rutted and icy but I felt very safe with chains on. So my advice is the practice first. Its not really difficult.
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 08:23:18 PM »

Some western states require that you have chains in the vehicle during the winter months whether you have to use them or not. And if the chains required signs are up you are required by law to put them on if you continue to travel. If you travel w/o them and an accident happens regardless of the cause you will be at fault for not having/using chains.

That said back when I drove truck I carried chains on my trucks, but very rarely used them!

Back then the truck stops in those areas had what they called "chain banks" where you could rent the chains on one side of a pass and return them on the other at another truck stop. I haven't been out west in the winter for many years. But I am sure the "chain banks" are still there.

Also the truck stops sell them out right as well. Shouldn't be a problem finding the 11/24.5 size as many owner operators and logging trucks still use 11/24.5's.
Grin  BK  Grin 
Scott & Heather

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 08:56:28 PM »

Thanks guys. You have to understand that I don't always have the benefit of "not traveling" when things get dicey. This time of year I have to be in a different state every weekend and I have three years of contracts to do this, so notwithstanding really rough road conditions, if the road isn't closed, I'm likely to be on it. I've driven the coach in plenty of snow and even glare ice...I'm comfortable  driving in those conditions. The issue is that last year driving through Northern California into and out of Portland we were within minutes of "chain up" requirements as the snow fell. If I didn't have them, we'd be in a very unsafe condition, and we would be full out illegal and we saw police beginning to show up at "chain up" locations. If nothing else, I need them to be in compliance. So, I'll be purchasing a set and I'll only be putting them on the outer duals. Talked to plenty of truckers who do just that... I've chained up large trucks before so I'm comfy with the process. I will indeed practice with the bus chains before we need them.

Scott & Heather
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 10:53:31 PM »

Smiley

oops...
http://www.realworktrucks.com/insta-chain-automatic-snow-chains-6-chain-system.html

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:10:57 PM by eagle19952 » Logged

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 02:19:03 AM »

You might consider Cable-type chains unless you are likely to need them a lot. Much lighter and easier to put on, and Ok for occasional use but not sure they make them for all sizes.

sales@tirechain.com
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:20:57 AM by Tony LEE » Logged

B_K

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 07:03:11 AM »

Scott if it were me I'd check with a chain bank on your route. If they don't have your size then find out who / where you can get a set of cables, and buy them.
I ain't seen them for ever but I used to have a set of cables here for our buses that I would throw in a luggage bay of any of our buses that were headed to an area where they might be needed. (wasn't often)
Grin  BK  Grin
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 07:12:06 AM »

Find a source for chains AWAY from the truck stops.

Truck dealers, big truck parts stores, anywhere but the captured market/high retail price at a truck stop...

Carefully check the different chain regulations, to be sure you have enough chains for enough wheels.

Like everything regulatory, jurisdictions love to have their own take on things from their neighbours...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »

The independent truck parts stores up here in Canada have stacks of them piled high near the front counter this time of year. All sizes. Not really expensive either. I would get singles just for the outside duals. Also get the ones with the V studs for much better traction. I have a set in the baggage tank I hardly ever use, but they are there for compliance, and peace of mind. As you know, a bus has very good traction because there is a lot of weight over the drive axle, as long as you have good tires. The difficulty with chaining up a bus is there is not a lot of space around the wheel to do it. I removed the rubber skirts that made it impossible to wrap the jewelry around the back tires. Raising the bus with the levelling system, if you have that, helps too.

Happy trails.

JC

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Scott & Heather

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »

Thanks Bryce, I'll see what I can find. I haven't seen a chain bank yet. Are cables in compliance, I thought in my research that they weren't for large trucks? Maybe I'm wrong?  Buswarrior, from everything I've read as long as I have the outer drive duals chained, I'm compliant. If you find anything to the contrary in California or Oregon please do share...JC, when I raise my rear bags to max height I have a lot of space around the tires to get chains on. Not an issue at all. I had custom aluminum fenders made for our coach so I'm good on that front. Good heads up.

Scott & Heather
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 11:46:56 AM »

Arent's the 22.5 and 24.5 the same tire chain ?

Life is short drink the good wine first
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 11:52:15 AM »

I've carried around a set for the last 10 yrs just to be legal. I will sit on the side of the road in the chainup area until spring if I must before I will ever put them on the coach. I've seen lots of damage done by chains that come loose and not just to the vehicle that had them on. My 2 centavos FWIW
Will

Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 12:00:39 PM »

Lots of bungee cords should prevent this. It also important to keep speeds down and take them off as soon as possible.Chains are good on snow  and ice.Not so much on pavement.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 12:05:46 PM »

They sell the rubber spiders to keep the tension on the chains there is no need for  bungee cords 

Scott & Heather

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 12:10:39 PM »

What cliff and Fred said, I'll be investing in a few sets of the rubber spider webs to keep that issue at bay. If I ever have to chain up, I'm not driving at speed. I'm creeping...but I'm still moving at least. Funny how sometimes we get nervous about driving in adverse conditions...the most recent accident we've seen here on the forum happened on a beautiful sunny day in Iowa...stuff happens even in the best of conditions. Slow down, drive smart, if you can't see or they close the road, take a break...other than that, I'm drivin'

Scott & Heather
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 01:11:32 PM »

Smiley

oops...
http://www.realworktrucks.com/insta-chain-automatic-snow-chains-6-chain-system.html

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
RJ
Angola Coach Conversion "Aesop's Tortoise"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 07:22:30 PM »

Scott -

Buy cam lock style chains, they're SO much easier to install!!  https://www.tirechain.com/cams.htm  (This is also the site where I bought chains for Tortoise.)

When the chain control is up in CA, you only have to chain the outside dual on a bus's drive axle.  I think that's pretty standard for bus chain requirements nationwide, primarily due to body clearance issues.

In the meantime, drive right up to where you can see the chain control itself - sometimes it's 10-15 miles further up the road from where the sign saying "chains required" is turned on - then pull over and slip them on.

If you practice, it shouldn't take you long - I used to be able to chain an MC-9 in 10 minutes back in my charter days, and here's how I was able to do it so quickly:

Before you start your day, lay the chains out on either side of the coach with the cams facing away from the bus and the link that you attach "to" facing the drive axle.  Stretch them out to get rid to of the kinks, then carefully scrunch them together and lay them just inside a baggage bin on that side.  Have the rubber spiders handy, too.

Now when you reach the "point of no return" and have to stop, grab the scrunched up chain and drape it over the top of the outer dual.  Position it such that the rear (tag axle side) two/three links are touching the ground.  Keeping the chain neat, bunch up the excess on the front side of the tire, making sure that the attaching links are spread out away from the tread area.  Once positioned, go around to the other side of the coach and do the same.

After you've go both sides positioned, climb back in the driver's seat, put it in gear, release the parking brake, and gently pull forward until you feel the rear axle climb up and over the bunched up chain.  As soon as you feel that, stop immediately, set the parking brake and transmission back to neutral, then head outside. IF you stopped correctly, you should be easily able to reach the inside link to fasten it first, then the outside link, snug down the cams and install the rubber spiders. (Tip: I always tried to install the rubber spider's "S" hook on the cam in such a way that it helped to lock the cam from coming loose.)

If you practice this a few times on dry pavement to get the "hang" of it (sorry for the bad pun - not!), you'll find it goes a lot easier when the time comes where you have to do it.

OTOH, if you can stay put for a few hours in order to avoid this nuisance, do so.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 1978 MC-5C Converted
6V71/MT-644
S14947 1980 MC-5C Shell
6V92/HT-740
Cheney WA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 10:58:04 PM »

If I had to run in snow, I'd definitely install automatic chains-as previously pictured.

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 11:05:47 PM »

Scott you can borrow chains from
https://www.lesschwab.com
But you have to be there in person. If you don't use them they will take them back up to 5 years.

"PATHFINDER"(Bus)
Toed 1998 Jeep TJ
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2017, 04:52:31 AM »

I totally agree with RJ. Cam lock chains are the only way to go. I could hang chains on our bus in about 15mins. I would do a similar method to RJ. The only difference being I would back up, over the chains, instead of pull forward.

A little practice goes a long ways. And if they have chain control, you will totally want the chains.

Cheers,

John

Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 06:38:37 AM »

The automatic chains would be better than nothing, but I can imagine how they would slip out from under the tire on hard ice. Without any studs, these chains are quite smooth and slippery, and the tire would spit them out. A good set of regular chains is wrapped tightly around the tire, and doesn't slit. Plus V studs dig in to hard ice for added traction.

A pair of coveralls is essential to lay in the snow/slush to put the jewelry on. And often melting slush drips on you from above while laying down doing up the inside link...

JC

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2017, 07:36:08 AM »

The school buses are using the auto-chains all over the place.

The Dogbus has cable style strewn all over the baggage bays in rusty heaps, so they are good for compliance.

The presence, or not, of de-icing, salting or sanding, is my determiner of continued progress.

The further south the winter conditions are, the more nervous I get, inadequate infrastructure and hesitating to get started, hoping it won't "get that bad". Here at home, highway open? Off I go.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 07:43:23 AM »

I have a set of the cam lock style if they will fit a 24.4 you are welcome to them,they  came with bus (John316) that has 12rx22.5 even has new rubber spiders lol it tough to give away a set of chains in AZ 

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 08:58:18 AM »

For my 21 years of big rig truck driving, I carried cable chains that are still in their original boxes. I never hung a single tire chain in those 21 years. If it was that bad, I wasn't on the road. Most of the time, the storm will pass in a day or so.

In my truck one time, I was coming west into Amarillo, Tx and the weather was getting cold. The outside thermometer was reaching the magic 28 degrees (when roads freeze) and even though it was only 4pm, I turned into the Pilot truck stop for the night. That night it both rained freezing and snowed. I was comfortable in my truck. I slept in the next morning, which was sunny and clear to give the roads time to thaw until 10am. I then went the 78-287-385-50-I-25 to Denver. I must of seen at least a dozen trucks down in the ditch from sliding off the road. It just isn't worth it to proceed in snowy weather-even with chains. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 09:04:10 AM »

I have a set of the cam lock style if they will fit a 24.4 you are welcome to them,they  came with bus (John316) that has 12rx22.5 even has new rubber spiders lol it tough to give away a set of chains in AZ 

And I even kept one set for my truck. Talk about a sweet setup for my F150 4X4. It is simply not possible to get stuck. I had to cut them down some, but they are amazing. 18" of snow, no problem.

Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Jim Eh.

Excess in moderation

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2017, 01:55:18 PM »

another alternative is:
http://www.autosock.com/en/

A little more user friendly

From Colorado:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com

Jim Eh.
1996 MC12
6V92TA / HT741D
Winnipeg, MB.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2017, 11:16:54 PM »

Scott whatever you do get some for Thursday, Friday and next week. They are predicting at least 12 inches in Tahoe and up I-5 in places.

"PATHFINDER"(Bus)
Toed 1998 Jeep TJ
jr6715

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »

scott you need to get what the call the sock it is legal in all states you get them at truck stops or on line they are, They are very easy to put on. 

jr6715
Scott & Heather

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2017, 09:57:19 PM »

Arg cliff I didn't read this soon enough! I bought a pair today to the tune of $115. Bummer. Hold onto them. I'll get them my next time in town. Smiley

Scott & Heather
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: