Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 17, 2017, 11:19:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to buy snow chains for coach?  (Read 1629 times)
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 11:52:15 AM »

I've carried around a set for the last 10 yrs just to be legal. I will sit on the side of the road in the chainup area until spring if I must before I will ever put them on the coach. I've seen lots of damage done by chains that come loose and not just to the vehicle that had them on. My 2 centavos FWIW
Will

Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 12:00:39 PM »

Lots of bungee cords should prevent this. It also important to keep speeds down and take them off as soon as possible.Chains are good on snow  and ice.Not so much on pavement.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 12:05:46 PM »

They sell the rubber spiders to keep the tension on the chains there is no need for  bungee cords 

Life is short drink the good wine first
Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 12:10:39 PM »

What cliff and Fred said, I'll be investing in a few sets of the rubber spider webs to keep that issue at bay. If I ever have to chain up, I'm not driving at speed. I'm creeping...but I'm still moving at least. Funny how sometimes we get nervous about driving in adverse conditions...the most recent accident we've seen here on the forum happened on a beautiful sunny day in Iowa...stuff happens even in the best of conditions. Slow down, drive smart, if you can't see or they close the road, take a break...other than that, I'm drivin'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 01:11:32 PM »

Smiley

oops...
http://www.realworktrucks.com/insta-chain-automatic-snow-chains-6-chain-system.html

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
RJ
Angola Coach Conversion "Aesop's Tortoise"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 07:22:30 PM »

Scott -

Buy cam lock style chains, they're SO much easier to install!!  https://www.tirechain.com/cams.htm  (This is also the site where I bought chains for Tortoise.)

When the chain control is up in CA, you only have to chain the outside dual on a bus's drive axle.  I think that's pretty standard for bus chain requirements nationwide, primarily due to body clearance issues.

In the meantime, drive right up to where you can see the chain control itself - sometimes it's 10-15 miles further up the road from where the sign saying "chains required" is turned on - then pull over and slip them on.

If you practice, it shouldn't take you long - I used to be able to chain an MC-9 in 10 minutes back in my charter days, and here's how I was able to do it so quickly:

Before you start your day, lay the chains out on either side of the coach with the cams facing away from the bus and the link that you attach "to" facing the drive axle.  Stretch them out to get rid to of the kinks, then carefully scrunch them together and lay them just inside a baggage bin on that side.  Have the rubber spiders handy, too.

Now when you reach the "point of no return" and have to stop, grab the scrunched up chain and drape it over the top of the outer dual.  Position it such that the rear (tag axle side) two/three links are touching the ground.  Keeping the chain neat, bunch up the excess on the front side of the tire, making sure that the attaching links are spread out away from the tread area.  Once positioned, go around to the other side of the coach and do the same.

After you've go both sides positioned, climb back in the driver's seat, put it in gear, release the parking brake, and gently pull forward until you feel the rear axle climb up and over the bunched up chain.  As soon as you feel that, stop immediately, set the parking brake and transmission back to neutral, then head outside. IF you stopped correctly, you should be easily able to reach the inside link to fasten it first, then the outside link, snug down the cams and install the rubber spiders. (Tip: I always tried to install the rubber spider's "S" hook on the cam in such a way that it helped to lock the cam from coming loose.)

If you practice this a few times on dry pavement to get the "hang" of it (sorry for the bad pun - not!), you'll find it goes a lot easier when the time comes where you have to do it.

OTOH, if you can stay put for a few hours in order to avoid this nuisance, do so.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 1978 MC-5C Converted
6V71/MT-644
S14947 1980 MC-5C Shell
6V92/HT-740
Cheney WA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 10:58:04 PM »

If I had to run in snow, I'd definitely install automatic chains-as previously pictured.

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 11:05:47 PM »

Scott you can borrow chains from
https://www.lesschwab.com
But you have to be there in person. If you don't use them they will take them back up to 5 years.

"PATHFINDER"(Bus)
Toed 1998 Jeep TJ
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2017, 04:52:31 AM »

I totally agree with RJ. Cam lock chains are the only way to go. I could hang chains on our bus in about 15mins. I would do a similar method to RJ. The only difference being I would back up, over the chains, instead of pull forward.

A little practice goes a long ways. And if they have chain control, you will totally want the chains.

Cheers,

John

Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 06:38:37 AM »

The automatic chains would be better than nothing, but I can imagine how they would slip out from under the tire on hard ice. Without any studs, these chains are quite smooth and slippery, and the tire would spit them out. A good set of regular chains is wrapped tightly around the tire, and doesn't slit. Plus V studs dig in to hard ice for added traction.

A pair of coveralls is essential to lay in the snow/slush to put the jewelry on. And often melting slush drips on you from above while laying down doing up the inside link...

JC

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2017, 07:36:08 AM »

The school buses are using the auto-chains all over the place.

The Dogbus has cable style strewn all over the baggage bays in rusty heaps, so they are good for compliance.

The presence, or not, of de-icing, salting or sanding, is my determiner of continued progress.

The further south the winter conditions are, the more nervous I get, inadequate infrastructure and hesitating to get started, hoping it won't "get that bad". Here at home, highway open? Off I go.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 07:43:23 AM »

I have a set of the cam lock style if they will fit a 24.4 you are welcome to them,they  came with bus (John316) that has 12rx22.5 even has new rubber spiders lol it tough to give away a set of chains in AZ 

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 08:58:18 AM »

For my 21 years of big rig truck driving, I carried cable chains that are still in their original boxes. I never hung a single tire chain in those 21 years. If it was that bad, I wasn't on the road. Most of the time, the storm will pass in a day or so.

In my truck one time, I was coming west into Amarillo, Tx and the weather was getting cold. The outside thermometer was reaching the magic 28 degrees (when roads freeze) and even though it was only 4pm, I turned into the Pilot truck stop for the night. That night it both rained freezing and snowed. I was comfortable in my truck. I slept in the next morning, which was sunny and clear to give the roads time to thaw until 10am. I then went the 78-287-385-50-I-25 to Denver. I must of seen at least a dozen trucks down in the ditch from sliding off the road. It just isn't worth it to proceed in snowy weather-even with chains. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 09:04:10 AM »

I have a set of the cam lock style if they will fit a 24.4 you are welcome to them,they  came with bus (John316) that has 12rx22.5 even has new rubber spiders lol it tough to give away a set of chains in AZ 

And I even kept one set for my truck. Talk about a sweet setup for my F150 4X4. It is simply not possible to get stuck. I had to cut them down some, but they are amazing. 18" of snow, no problem.

Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Jim Eh.

Excess in moderation

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2017, 01:55:18 PM »

another alternative is:
http://www.autosock.com/en/

A little more user friendly

From Colorado:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com

Jim Eh.
1996 MC12
6V92TA / HT741D