Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 17, 2017, 05:32:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6v92 engine repair Indianapolis?  (Read 2716 times)
aaronjweiss

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2017, 05:16:48 AM »

Hello,

I've got a 1990 MCI 102c3 with a 6v92TA engine that my band uses as its tour bus.  The past few days I've been noticing some smoke, white-ish when I start it, then looking darker after I've driven a while (and generally only showing up when I floor it). Two nights ago it got noticeably smokier, but was still running strong. Then last night I started losing power on the highway and suddenly kicking out massive amounts of smoke, even started filling the cab, so I got off the next exit and saw it was mostly spilling out around the engine compartment, not the tailpipe. I opened the engine compartment doors and it looked like the smoke was mostly coming out from above the engine, blowing down from the fans (or maybe the fans sucked it up there and shot it down, I don't know, it was so smokey and hard to see). I parked at a gas station and am now writing from a Motel 6 on a Sunday morning.

I'm curious if anyone has a guess as to what might've happened, but mostly I'm posting here to see if anyone knows a good mechanic in the Indianapolis area? I fear we're going to need some major engine work, so want to go somewhere reputable. I'm willing to have it towed to another town, but of course I want to keep costs down, so hopefully won't have to go too far...

Thank you!
 Aaron W.

Aaron W.
1990 MCI 102c3
 6V-92TA
richard5933

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 05:32:50 AM »

I've been using Interstate Power (istate.com) in Milwaukee for our coach. They have a location in your area. They're not the cheapest, but they seem to have a good staff and parts network. The most important thing is to be sure and fully communicate with the tech (not just the service writer) so that everyone is on the same page and knows what you want them to do.

Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108A-125 (Current bus)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (totalled Sept 2017)
Located in beautiful Wisconsin
KD9GRB

Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 (Current Bus)
1964 GM PD4106-2412
Located in beautiful Wisconsin
KD9GRB
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 06:53:53 AM »

Man are you LUCKY! You could not have broken down in a better location. KING BUS MONKEY Scott lives in Avon, a west side suburb of INDY! Which Motel 6 are you at?

My guess is that you have a clamp busted or loose on the turbo. (or some other major exhaust leak)

Scott should be able to get it figured out and fixed up pretty easy.
You should send him a contact name & #.
Cheesy  BK  Cheesy
Bill Gerrie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 06:55:15 AM »

I second that BK
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 07:07:25 AM »

OH I forgot not everybody knows about or is on busgreasemonkey.com
You should go over there and sign up Scott is the owner of that board and will respond to you there quicker than here. (he is a member here, but doesn't hang out here as much as the rest of us)
Grin  BK  Grin
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 07:25:55 AM »

Doesn't sound major maybe a broken exhaust pipe or bad turbo but you should have heard a broken pipe
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:17:26 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
aaronjweiss

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 08:11:51 AM »

Thanks for the replies everyone---Quick update: went out this morning to start the bus in the daylight and saw that yes, one of the exhaust pipes had busted clear off near one of the clamps and was spewing out the smoke, while also spraying a bit of diesel. Does that sound like a bad injector?

I wrote Scott, and tracked down a place called "Stoops Freightliner" who says they work on buses. Not the best reviews online & the labor rate is high, but it's the only place open on a Sunday, so I might have it towed there...

thanks again, Aaron

Aaron W.
1990 MCI 102c3
 6V-92TA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 08:18:03 AM »

Just not enough air to burn all the fuel,which pipe broke the one with the expansion bellows is a high dollar puppy around 500 bucks 

Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 08:31:45 AM »

You might just have a broken exhaust pipe. Can you take a video and post it here of your engine compartment while it's running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 08:37:24 AM »

OH I forgot not everybody knows about or is on busgreasemonkey.com
You should go over there and sign up Scott is the owner of that board and will respond to you there quicker than here. (he is a member here, but doesn't hang out here as much as the rest of us)
Grin  BK  Grin

It needs an Invitation Code??   It says that an existing member must send me one.  BK or anyone?   I'd like to have access to BGM website.   Thanks
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:40:32 AM by Oonrahnjay » Logged

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 09:24:53 AM »

I tried to read some posts you need to be a member just to read there.I read his posts on F/B sometimes so there is no need for me to belong to another board ,you can find about anything about buses on F/B fwiw

eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 01:43:37 PM »

It needs an Invitation Code??   It says that an existing member must send me one.  BK or anyone?   I'd like to have access to BGM website.   Thanks

sent you a code check your email or message here

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Scott Crosby

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 05:08:50 PM »

Iím too busy at the photo studio this week to get to that, but it sounds like an easy enough fix it doesnít take a 2stroke guy to fix an exhaust. 

https://www.avonpicturethis.com if you need a photo session Wink

61 GM Fishbowl TDH 4516 102" 35'
1947 GM PD 3751
www.busgreasemonkey.com
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 05:36:25 PM »

I never knew about any invitation code. But just tell'm BK sent ya!
Cheesy  BK  Cheesy
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 06:21:05 PM »

Thanks for the replies everyone---Quick update: went out this morning to start the bus in the daylight and saw that yes, one of the exhaust pipes had busted clear off near one of the clamps and was spewing out the smoke, while also spraying a bit of diesel. Does that sound like a bad injector?

I wrote Scott, and tracked down a place called "Stoops Freightliner" who says they work on buses. Not the best reviews online & the labor rate is high, but it's the only place open on a Sunday, so I might have it towed there...

thanks again, Aaron

Hope you didn't waste $ having it towed to Stoops!
If you absolutely had to take it too Stoops, you can drive it easier than towing it.
If it were me I'd take off the broken pipe and take it to an exhaust shop the can either build you a new one or weld up the old one.
If you could post a picture of the broke one I might just happen to have a used take off on the shelf in my shop.
Grin  BK  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: