Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 14, 2017, 11:07:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6v92 engine repair Indianapolis?  (Read 2674 times)
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 06:28:53 PM »

It's more than a simple broken exhaust.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 07:15:37 PM »

It's more than a simple broken exhaust.

--Geoff

Geoff you could be absolutely right, but I have trouble seeing that from what has been posted so far.
And I still say Stoops is a waste of $ they ain't seen a 2 stroke since the '90's and NONE of their technicians can diagnose anything that their laptop can't hook into and give them the answers.
Grin  BK  Grin
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 10:44:07 PM »

sent you a code check your email or message here

Got it - thanks!

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
aaronjweiss

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 09:29:58 PM »

Turns out Stoops turned us away saying nobody there works on two-strokes, we got it towed (after having the fire dept. called on us twice) to a place called "East Side Welding" that does a lot of work on old buses. They took out all the injectors on the problem side and one of them had a broken off tip, and now we're getting low compression in that cylinder. They said tomorrow they'll pull the head off to take a look inside to see if the broken off tip caused some internal damage.

My friend suggested that since they're gonna have the head off to consider getting new sleeve kits for the 3 cylinders on that side. I don't even know what that means, so couldn't even offer an educated response. Anyone have any thoughts on that? The engine was last rebuilt in 2003, but I have no idea how many miles since then. (In case you haven't noticed, I don't know much about my own engine!)

Undecided

Thanks again for all the replies, Aaron W.

Aaron W.
1990 MCI 102c3
 6V-92TA
Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 05:55:34 AM »

That'll do it. Sorry about the drama and fire department calls. What a pain. Some of the more knowledgeable guys will chime in here on the next step. I would listen to them carefully so that you aren't wasting time and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9
birdarchitect26

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 06:10:20 AM »

I would say why no. Ultimately the point to a rebuild is to replace all the wear components, so she's good for another 500k. Often people pull a head and rebuild the top, this creates more compression but puts new stress on the old components, like bearings and rods that wasn't there before in the bottom end.

My point is, I would just rebuild the entire motor or fix the immediate problem and get back on the road. That tip should come out in an oil change.

My 2ce
Jay
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 06:43:39 AM »

The tip when it blew if you are lucky just chipped one of the 4 valves is the reason for low compression,he can tell more when he pulls the head   

Life is short drink the good wine first
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 09:21:47 AM »

The tip when it blew if you are lucky just chipped one of the 4 valves is the reason for low compression,he can tell more when he pulls the head   

have they pulled the air box covers check for stuck rings...
pressure test the head
verify the injector coppers/tubes
actually look at the valve seats and valves
no. i would figure out a whole bunch of things before willy nilly kit replacing on 3 holes...

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
DoubleEagle

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 11:31:09 AM »

Take it one step at a time, let them inspect for what is actually damaged and what really needs to be replaced. It would seem foolish to put liners on only one side, that would open up a hole can of worms and cost. You will find out soon how honest and frugal this garage is, or whether they will try to sell you on an overhaul that may or may not be necessary. In either event, you better brace yourself for a nice bill.

Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 12:48:36 PM »

did the tip go thru the turbo...have they looked ?

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »

Here we go... another lamb to slaughter...

Aaron, in the name of all that is holy, before any work, or decisions get made, PLEASE, get on here with the shop's diagnosis, and EXACTLY the methods that were used to arrive at their conclusions.

Tell the shop up front, you have to check with "your friends" and that this might take a little time.

The smartest of us, send Aaron your telephone number via a private message.

Aaron, you know how to use the "my messages" in the blue tabs up there?

We must prevent a wallet emptying...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 03:47:41 PM »

After going through something similar back in spring. My 8V92TA was blowing oil out the drain tubes big time. Started on one trip. I'm second owner of my 1991 coach.  Replaced check valves and didn't help. Used/blew a gallon out in 100 miles coming home.  A lot of folks said overhaul time. Engine had 86,000 miles since new. Took it to Stewart Stevenson , San Antone and although big bucks, a lot cheaper than overhaul. Blower seals. Have driven it 1500 miles since and hasn't used a drop of oil. The foreman said if it needed a overhaul could have run up to 25 or 30 thousand. Yikes. Hope the best.
aaronjweiss

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 06:25:11 AM »

Hey fellas, thanks for all the input, have attached a few pictures. They took the head off and found that one of the valves was broken and another bent. Also, there's some damage to the piston. It doesn't look too serious to me, but I'm new to all this (and about 700 miles away now), so don't trust my own assessment, but my friend (who's there with the bus) said he's concerned it would fail at some point, so he thinks it's worth replacing, and in fact he's still pushing to rebuild all 3 cylinders on that side. The mechanic there said the engine looks young, so I'm not convinced doing all 3 is worthwhile (or even 1 for that matter. It might still be possible to simply fix the valves & put the head back on). More importantly to me, my band has a tour starting a week from today, and sound like it'll take a couple days just to get the parts...

A few questions: 1) I'm curious how serious a danger these gouges in the top of the piston are--is it a decent option to consider leaving it alone? 2) Assuming the rebuilt cylinder(s) will have better compression than the older ones, is that imbalance a detriment to the engine? And 3) if so, would it be better to have one cylinder stronger than the other five, or three cylinders stronger than the other three?

I'm also curious how to prevent another fuel injector tip from breaking off in the future...any thoughts on that would be much appreciated!

ps. buswarrior, yes, I'm somewhat familiar with the "my messages" tab, would be happy to talk to anyone about this.

Aaron W.
1990 MCI 102c3
 6V-92TA
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 07:23:38 AM »

Is that milky oil I see?  The oil pan needs to be dropped and the bearings/crank inspected.  And was the engine using a lot of oil before the failure happened?  These questions need to be answered before a decision is made.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 07:40:57 AM »

Is that milky oil I see?  The oil pan needs to be dropped and the bearings/crank inspected.  And was the engine using a lot of oil before the failure happened?  These questions need to be answered before a decision is made.

--Geoff 

This was my first impression, too.  A lot of the comments have been "get back on the road quick" or "do it cheaply" but a failure like this needs a complete inspection.  (And, IMO, any piston that's been banged hard enough to be dented is very likely to damaged - cracked, piston ring lands distorted so that rings are pinched, skirts bent so that the lower part of the piston may scuff on the bore, etc. - and should be inspected carefully; or maybe even changed even if it looks OK.)  I don't think I'd trust anything in that cylinder; valves, valve springs, pistons, rings, sleeve.

It is far better to rent a couple of vans for the band to do a few gigs than to have an entire engine grenade a few thousand miles down the road.  Don't rush it.

Just my opinion but being cautious here could save you a lot of money in the long term.  BH

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: