Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 10, 2017, 11:59:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  4,812 Members as of August 9, 2016 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Video Surveillance  (Read 895 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2017, 07:20:16 AM »

Anybody use a home type video system for their bus?

We spend a lot of time in parking lots and have been considering a video surveillance system.  I can get 8 cameras and a 1 TB hard drive from Amazon for about $200

Any experience, suggestions, warnings,???

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 07:58:13 AM »

This is strictly the opinion of someone who does not embrace technology, but the world today is shoving it down my throat.

I can see the value in a system if it can also be used to enhance driving safety. By that I mean it should have a display or monitor that uses the cameras to show the rear view and blind spots on each side when driving. Ideally it will also function as a dash cam to record events that occur while driving such as someone pulling in front and jamming on the brakes or going through a red light and hitting you.

A sole purpose security camera system to me is of little value unless it can also be more fully used while driving to monitor what I listed above as well as keeping a view of the toad.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM
Publisher - BCM
Help Team

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 08:00:57 AM »

Dave, make sure the cameras have some kind of night vision system so you can see activity at night in total darkness.

Also be sure you can record the activity for at least a week, 30 days is better.  You may not notice vandalism for a few days. 

Also good to install a system which allows you to monitor from your cell phone (if you have cell service both on the bus and on your phone).  Sound will also help you catch the perps if something happens.

Also nice to have bright spotlights high on all 4 corners of your bus that you can turn on with a switch for each and one for all. I had that on my Sportsmobile, two on each corner so there are always two lights per side in case one goes out, and they were bright.  It also had cameras on all four sides. Generally if someone is messing around outside your bus and you switch all of them on, no matter which side they are on, they usually scatter like roaches. Should have switches by your bed and also by your entrance door.  If bad people knock on your door and you turn on the flood lights, they will generally scatter.

Also nice to record what is happening inside your bus when you are away as you can generally capture better up close pix of Vandals inside than outside for the police, and they should be hidden in VCR tape cartons by the TV or something. VCR? :-) Inside cameras also need night-vision.

Also have it notify you on your cell phone if there is movement in the area.  Sometimes this is a hassle as cats walk by, but it is the ultimate as you can dispatch the local authorities if you are out of town while they are in action.  But be sure to tell them to approach using Code 1 (no lights, no siren), so they can catch them before they scatter. Better systems can be set to only notify you if there is movement inside your bus, but you also want to catch vandals outside, but it may not be worth the hassle, but it is nice to have the option depending on where you are parking the bus.

There are some very nice systems out there and the better ones have much better clarity and may make the difference between catching the perps and just seeing what they are stealing.

Then if you have a speaker system on each side of your bus which you can talk to from your phone if you are remote, it will be very helpful if you can ask them what they want or if you want to just blurt out "YOU ARE SURROUNDED - LAY FACE DOWN WITH YOUR ARMS AND LEGS SPREAD, UNITS 2 AND 3, MOVE IN"  Cheesy Cheesy

1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversions.com
Publisher - BCM
Help Team

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 08:04:13 AM »

My Sportsmobile. Set up by the owner with $20k in electronics the original owner could monitor from anywhere in the world. This was his toad behind his high-end Bluebird.

Gary@BusConversions.com
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 08:25:57 AM »

My Sportsmobile. Set up by the owner with $20k in electronics the original owner could monitor from anywhere in the world. This was his toad behind his high-end Bluebird.

was his name Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán ?

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Publisher - BCM
Help Team

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 08:46:53 AM »

was his name Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán ?

Can't say.  Grin

Gary@BusConversions.com
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 09:27:54 AM »

Looks like a "target" to me.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA
Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 11:01:37 AM »

Dave, we have a SWANN 4 camera surveillance system night vision and all. 1 terabyte drive and we wished we had installed one years ago. Hook it up to your tv and you can always see what's going on around your coach. Doubles as a full road dash cam system covering all sides in case of an accident. Don't even think twice about it. Buy them, install them, you won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 03:50:19 PM »

Scott, how visible are they on your coach?
I'm thinking somewhat visible is a good deterrent.   But I don't want it to look bad either.

Do you have pics?

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 04:08:39 PM »

Also some superbright leds around the upper perimeter, switchable from inside coach and/or motion sensing, maybe on a timer that works from say 11 pm to 6 am. Just throwing out ideas.

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
DoubleEagle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 07:00:29 PM »

The Swann System is on Amazon, and it has mixed reviews. The cameras are highly visible, which might be a deterrent, but it also might make them a target for vandalism and catching on branches. I would prefer cameras that are more discreet and less protruding. The price on these have sure come down a lot from years ago.

Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 07:37:27 PM »

Walter does have a point. They are indeed visible Dave. They haven't caught on anything so far, but if I did it over again, I'd get small dome cameras or something similar. But definitely get something...sooner than later. You won't regret it. My camera is on the front top just above the entrance door. There's  one in the rear:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »

Check out 360 video.

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Slug

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 12:57:52 AM »

Just make sure they are cameras that are water proof rated as the ones I put on we're under eve water splash rated and going down the road at 60 started killing them one by one so now looking for ones with a high force water rating
They make great reverse and lane guide extras to the mirrors for blind spots, have a 10 inch monitor on the dash and view the the 4 from it and the one pointed out the windscreen makes a good dash cam for the bad drivers out there
James

M A N 16-280, 40ft, 1985, air brakes, air suspension
280 hp turbo 5 speed, under conversion
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 08:32:08 AM »

The cameras need to withstand both your ground speed, plus the headwind speed.

100 mph winds past the coach are not uncommon!!

There are very nice tear drop/half moon camera pods on the market, the government funded commuter coach companies have started deploying these.

Also, while not completely applicable to a busnut, in-mirror cameras are available from some truck manufacturers, it peaks out through a little spot on the face of the mirror, you wouldn't know it was there.

Also, you can put regular cameras inside the glass, up high, aimed back, with minimal loss of the space right up against the side of the coach.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: