Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 10, 2017, 11:57:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: furnace Dinosaur control board  (Read 311 times)
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2017, 07:08:12 AM »

My Suburban furnace quit working recently. I narrowed the problem down to the control board. It was a Dinosaur brand that I installed 6 or 7 years ago. I replaced it with a Suburban board. A Dinosaur board is around $200, a Suburban just over $100. So, since the Dinosaur, which is supposed to be so much better, didn't last any longer than the OEM board, I went with the Suburban stock board. It just doesn't have the shut the fan down if no flame feature. I don't think that is a big deal.

My question is: is it worth sending it back for repair? To Dinosaur, or some independent shop? Has anybody done that? Then I would have a spare.

Thanks.

JC

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Handyjim

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:13:39 AM »

Contact Dinosaur in Lincoln City, Oregon. Very approachable. My furnace went out in my motorhome while I was about 40 miles away. They had me come in and they tested all my boards (original. OEM) while I watched. They narrowed the problem to something else, no charge! IIRC the tech's name was Joe. And the fan shutoff is an important addition.

JCorey
Looking, looking, looking
Toward a Conversion
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 10:30:05 AM »

Make sure you don't have some kind of electrical  supply or voltage spike issues. Those dinosaur boards are pretty reliable. Were developed as a more reliable replacement for the factory one with that additional nice feature.

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »

Do you know any Ham radio guys?  Some of them live to find electronics problems.  They generally work for beer.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 03:44:59 PM »

JC I would send it in. You can also get a remote hook up that keeps the board out of the unit. It is the heat that kills them. Our board I put in is in the next cabinet to it with the colored wiring harness they provide for a small fee. Have had it since 2009. And a Dino board.

"PATHFINDER"(Bus)
Toed 1998 Jeep TJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: