Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 14, 2017, 07:20:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange problem with 6V92 shut off lever  (Read 1122 times)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 05:35:46 AM »

If adding an oiler to the air system was needed...

Wouldn't we already have one? he asks rhetorically...

Shutters and that's it.

If there is an offending accessory device, and you've decided that a shot of lube is the solution, understanding how oil and rubber may not like one another... do as eagle19952 suggests, loosen the air line to that device, give it a drink, close up the connection, and blow away.

Please, do NOT oil the internals of any brake related devices, for sure, no exceptions. Having the rubber seal in one of those swell and stick at the wrong time, in the wrong position... dragging brakes burn down buses...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 07:18:12 AM »

Not sure why this thread morphed into an oil-in-the-air-system debate.  The problem is not related to the air system. It's all about the fuel rack shut-off lever sticking. The OP even said that in the third post.

But, maybe we can discuss the DD3 brake chamber parking mechanism next!  Roll Eyes

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 09:09:45 AM »

Not sure why this thread morphed into an oil-in-the-air-system debate.  The problem is not related to the air system. It's all about the fuel rack shut-off lever sticking. The OP even said that in the third post.

But, maybe we can discuss the DD3 brake chamber parking mechanism next!  Roll Eyes

I quit using those old antique DD3's and updated to the new and improved DD7's!
Grin  BK  Grin
neoneddy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 09:42:43 AM »

Once again it was me, the newbie here causing trouble :-)    I had a sticky shut off solenoid too.

First time bus owner, long time bus lover  - 1982 MCI MC9 6V92 - Current Status - Livable, still 20-30% more to go.  Video Build Log
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 09:51:02 AM »

Once again it was me, the newbie here causing trouble :-)    I had a sticky shut off solenoid too.

You are ok no harm no fowl it happens and somebody is going to answer you so ask 

Life is short drink the good wine first
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 11:17:22 AM »

Not sure why this thread morphed into an oil-in-the-air-system debate.

So Gumpy could get his dig in.. Smiley

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
oldmansax

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 06:29:40 AM »

i found the problem... 2 problems actually. The cylinder was a little sticky, and oil resolved that; also, some of the exhaust pipe insulation had deteriorated /shifted and was blocking the shutdown lever. If I moved the insulation the shutdown would work. Once I oiled the cylinder the shutdown would work without moving the insulation. The pain was I had to drain the coolant and remove the coolant pipe to see what was happening.  All fixed now. Thanks for all the help!

TOM
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 06:35:43 AM »

Just be sure to bleed the air out of the coolant system before any long trips. Most MCI's have bleeder valves on both front and rear cross over tubes on the engine.
short trips and keeping the coolant full will do the same thing if you don't have the bleeders.
Grin  BK  Grin
Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 07:56:11 AM »

On my old MCI 9 mechanical 6v92 we had the same issue. That level seizes up and we had to manually put it back in the run position every time I shut it down so it would be ready to start again. Dealt with this for a year before finally just taking the casing apart, pulling the washers putting new ones in, cleaning up the lever shaft, lubing it and reinstalling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: