Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 13, 2017, 05:25:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas Shocks  (Read 243 times)
Fred Mc

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:39:06 AM »

When I first built my bus I bought some gas shocks to hold the bay doors open from Matthews in Cali. They are pretty skookum shocks(200 lbs)  but the problem is there is only one on each door and it puts too much pressure on the rubber hinge and eventually tears it.

So I decided to replace the one shock with 2 less powerful ones. I found that two 100lb shocks works well to hold the door open. You do have to make a second bracket for the door but thats not difficult. I made mine out or 1/8 aluminum and pop riveted it to the door.

If anyone wanted to see a picture I can upload one.

Regards

Fred
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:42:27 PM »

Please Fred I want to see it. I have been trying to figure out what i was going to do on my MCI 5C door at the back bay. It was put in and no way other than a pole to hold it up. It was where the back door was on my coach and they filled it in but nowhere to put the spring type cables.
It has panograph doors though. It has to go out and up.

"PATHFINDER"(Bus)
Toed 1998 Jeep TJ
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 01:47:05 PM »

Pantograph is a whole nother kettle of fish.My doors are simple swing up. I'm sure that an engineer type could figure out how to use gas shock on them.
One picture shows the bottom attachment.I used plywood for the spacer as a trial.But a lot of stuff in the bays is wood so I might stay with that.

The other picture is the new upper bracket which is a mirror copy of the stock one on the other end of the door.

The problem with trying to use these gas shocks is figuring out what strengh you need. I usually buy what I think will work, take it and try it and if it doesn't work then return them and get others.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 01:53:05 PM by Fred Mc » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: