Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 14, 2017, 11:06:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus Conversion Insurance Again ???  (Read 573 times)
scanzel

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »

I have finally got my conversion to 95% completion and would like to get more than just liability maybe some replacement value. Just got a call back from Good Sam who connected me with an agent and all 4 companies they represent said no and FMCA says no to bus conversions. My present one a Good Sam company National General Ins says no to everything only liability which is what I purchased when I bought the bus to drive it home in case something happened. Everything I read in the Search seems to be dated back several years. Have the companies changed or are we just giving them bs to get insurance. I don't want to give them false info only to find out if something happened they come back and say I lied with false info. Who is still out there and doing bus conversion insurance. Thank you.  Huh Huh

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 02:47:26 PM »

We have state farm with all our other cars and house with them also

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 03:01:46 PM »

Do you have an insurance agent?  Put him/her to work.
brmax

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 03:36:28 PM »

Are you planning to or maybe its already been done, re-titling with RV classification.  Just curious if that has a bearing in your area.

Good day
Floyd

1992 MC9
6V92
Allison
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 03:46:24 PM »

Try Miller Insurance Agency Inc. in Lake Oswego, Oregon

http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/contact/

They were the agent for my 4104 and for my truck conversion.

GaryD

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
richard5933

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 03:48:33 PM »

I definitely agree that you should have an independent insurance agent. That's how we've insured both of our coaches, and they are the ones that will go to bat to get things moving for you. Assuming that the title is already an RV or motor home, you need to be certain that when you have the conversation the word 'bus' never comes into the conversation. You have a Class A diesel pusher motor home that you'd like to have insured. Provide them with the year, make, and model. That's what we did, although the agent did ask for some photos to have on file in case the underwriting team wanted to verify anything.

We have full coverage, but we did it with a 'stated value' policy. That means that we defined the max amount we'll get paid if there is a claim. It doesn't mean that we will automatically get that amount, but that we have a pre-set upper limit. On our current coach we'll be getting an independent appraisal done this spring so that we'll have something to back up our stated value amount should there ever be a need.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:53:35 PM by richard5933 » Logged

Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 (Current Bus)
1964 GM PD4106-2412
Located in beautiful Wisconsin
KD9GRB
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 04:47:37 PM »

National General took me to the cleaners, bad, over a hail claim. Run away...
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 05:19:46 PM »

Progressive

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:05:18 PM »

Progressive

aisinsurance.com

call vs online quote. (888) 772-4247

they are in California, i have no vehicles with California plates, but i do have Florida, Alaska, and Alabama<currently> and have had vehicles plated in Minnesota and Arizona.
they write many insurers, mine are Progressive, been with them for 15+ years. Coach, cars, motorcycles and cargo trailers

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 08:06:15 AM »

Finally got new insurance through Millerrvinsurance.com with Progressive. Wasn't easy though, had to provide several pictures and some additional info. Good Sam and FMCA were of no help. When speaking with Roxanne she stated that many companies are not insuring anything old or self converted, they are just insuring store bought units with a name brand and some companies are now having an age cutoff so even if it is a name brand unit and too old they will not insure. Went on the Copart.com auction site and you should see all the stuff from Texas and Florida listed as water damaged.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
The Champion Challenger

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Today at 10:42:04 AM »

Progressive

Yes, Progressive Insurance is the way to go! I was insured with them in 2015 after every other insurance agent I called turned me down flat or didn't know what I was talking about. (Note that I'm insured with Progressive out of California.)

Jeanine
Champion Challenger 2008
Full-timing since April 2015
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Today at 11:05:17 AM »

Yes, Progressive Insurance is the way to go! I was insured with them in 2015 after every other insurance agent I called turned me down flat or didn't know what I was talking about. (Note that I'm insured with Progressive out of California.)   

About 8 years ago, Progressive stopped insuring RVs in NC so I had to look for other insurance.  Progressive kept me on the phone for an hour and a half asking questions (and I was smart enough not to use the "b" word, etc.) but they turned me down.  NC has stupid state regulatory people who make it hard for insurance companies* in the state and companies are reluctant to take a chance in NC so maybe that has something to do with it.

(They don't make it hard for companies to screw you over about claims but otherwise.)

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: