Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 17, 2017, 03:34:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silverside has water in oil  (Read 882 times)
DubLloyd

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2017, 02:57:11 PM »

My bus is in restoration mode. Due to health issues I have not started my bus in 6 months. 6 months ago oil was fine. Today I have water in my oil.
HOW?

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 03:20:46 PM »

Could rain water some how be seeping into the pan through the induction system?  How about through the exhaust system?  Impossible I know, but who knows. 

Does the water in the oil contain anti freeze?  Condensation?  How much water is there?  Enemy action?  Non Friends?  Vandalism?  Any other possibilities?  Dunno.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 03:54:26 PM »

There's always some condensation inside a block.  Normally the engine gets up to operating temperature and the water is vaporized - you never know about it.  That's one reason why short trips are hard on an engine - it never gets warm enough to clean up the oil. How much water are we talking about? And is it water or antifreeze?

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
DubLloyd

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 04:02:23 PM »

There's always some condensation inside a block.  Normally the engine gets up to operating temperature and the water is vaporized - you never know about it.  That's one reason why short trips are hard on an engine - it never gets warm enough to clean up the oil. How much water are we talking about? And is it water or antifreeze?
Thanks, I panicked and did not stick my tounge to it to taste for sweetness. As I am in resto mode, I start the bus mabe every 2 months and only long enough to build air psi to shut it down. I have been ill and have not started the bus in 6 months. But I will taste test the oil in the morning. Thanks, I never thought about moisture vs coolant. Thanks

DubLloyd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 04:06:36 PM »

Could rain water some how be seeping into the pan through the induction system?  How about through the exhaust system?  Impossible I know, but who knows. 

Does the water in the oil contain anti freeze?  Condensation?  How much water is there?  Enemy action?  Non Friends?  Vandalism?  Any other possibilities?  Dunno.
Thanks, dont think rain nor exaust. No outside interference. The bus only gets started after I have did an addition in some form or fashion. In the past yr it may have ran 3 times and only long enough to build up air psi allowing psi to shut down fuel supply. It never even has time to get hot.

Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 04:16:51 PM »

You have FOUND THE PROBLEM,,never do that over time without running it under load for a long enough time to boil out all the moisture. If you can't do that then don't start it at all.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA
DubLloyd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 04:39:30 PM »

You have FOUND THE PROBLEM,,never do that over time without running it under load for a long enough time to boil out all the moisture. If you can't do that then don't start it at all.>>>Dan
Thanks. And I will not. I spooked when I saw the shape of the oil.

HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 05:50:14 PM »

One of the many reasons why I had to sell my Bus Conversion was that she needed that monthly one hour ride.  Many reasons.  That and the static monthly expenses sunk her.  The dynamic expenses finished her off.  Too expensive in time and money to maintain her.  Sad, but there you have it.  Sad
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 05:52:33 PM »

What will help is use a block heater and keep it on while it runs for at least 20 to 30 mins. You still need to take it for a 20 to 30 miles spin every 6 months. Don't bother even trying to run it if temps are below freezing. Otherwise you'll be posting with air system or starting issues like happens EVERY winter on here. Maybe the boredom during winter months causes people to want to go out and run their coaches.

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 10:15:58 PM »

^^ what he said ^^

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
windtrader

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »

What is the amount of time the bus should run to keep it in good running condition? Just in this thread it ranges from 20 minutes every 6 months to an hour each month, quite a range.

As a noobie, this is the first off-season the bus is not used regularly so would like to make sure it gets enough use to ensure it all stays in good condition.

From what has been generally posted, it seems a monthly run down the road of 30 minutes would be sufficient, enough time to get the motor fully up to temp, tires plenty of turns, and grease and oil enough spins on the parts to keep things properly lubricated.

Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted (June 2017)
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 12:40:59 PM »

There are many other parts of a bus that benefit from use other than the engine,, if it were only the engine ,as a diesel, it can sit for years with little or no damage.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 02:48:56 PM »

I have never seen anything other than owner opinions on how often and when to exercise a coach so this topic can end up being a debate such as what color coolant to use or if nitrogen is better for tires.

However we do know that if you start the engine when the coach is being stored you create a lot of condensation and the only way to get rid of that condensation and avoid the damage it can cause is to get everything up to full operating temperature and that includes not only the engine but the transmission, differential (which breathes) and even the muffler. I cannot address how long it takes on other coaches, but I know I will never get my coach warm enough just starting it and running it for a period of time. I would have to run it hard, such as at highway speeds for at least 30 minutes to an hour to get the temps where they need to be.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 03:18:07 PM »

How much water is in the oil,condensation is so small it will not change the level or turn the oil a milky color in a 2 stroke engine that I ever saw,good oils have additive to take care of the condensation and the problems it can cause     
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:20:30 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 05:27:51 PM »

Why all this fuss about having to start it once in a while?  Just let it sit. Just keep the batteries charged so it will start when needed. Like mentioned above, if you start it, run it on the highway for an hour. There are more worthy concerns in life than starting the bus once in a while...

JC

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: