Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 16, 2017, 08:33:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to change left thermostat. ECM is in the way?  (Read 268 times)
Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »

I canít figure out how to change the left thermostat (drivers side) since the ECM is in the way. Do I actually have to remove the ECM? 8v92 Turbo DDEC II. I canít even figure out how to remove the ECM plate. It appears to be attached to the engine via a bracket and bolts I canít get to on the block itself. Can someone guide me here? Iíd like to do this when we finally come to a stop for a while over the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 11:57:24 AM »

Scott see if you can get a hold Dave aka "yeold48" and see if he could look his over fer ya. He bought one of my old Setra's with a DDEC 8V92 in it and has the engine at home on a stand. If not when I get a chance I'll try an get to my storage trailer an check the 8V92 I have for Don Fairchild and see what I can tell ya. I know it can be done, just don't remember how I used to do it.
Grin  BK  Grin
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 06:30:05 PM »

Haven't got a clue but take pics and help the rest of us dummies out. Grin
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 06:53:15 PM »

The tray for the ECM is held down by the 3/8" hex-head bolts through the thermostat housings, but there are also two hidden 5/16" bolts on the back side of the tray for the ECM itself that are a PIA to reach.   If my memory is correct from when I replaced both t'stats last year, the DDEC turbo boost sensor's bracket is attached by one of those two 5/16" bolts (I think).   There's no need to completely unbolt the ECM from its tray, just disconnect the two 30-pin connectors and the three others, then move the whole tray out the way.

One potentially very time-saving modification I also did when I rebuilt my Jakes will help a lot whenever removing the driver-side ("left") valve cover.   I have a 1/2" coolant hose between the top of the driver-side t'stat housing and the coolant surge tank, I'm guessing to help bleed air from the cooling system, but it prevents getting that valve cover off without disconnecting it, which required draining several gallons of coolant.   Not convenient.   I put a Parker self-sealing hydraulic quick-connect fitting on the t'stat end of the hose, so it now takes five seconds to do what previously took an hour.   When I readjusted my valves I noticed that the passenger-side were close to perfect adjustment, but the driver-side were way off  -  I assume the previous owner ran into the same issue as I encountered with that coolant hose!

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of solar on the roof.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: