Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 15, 2017, 02:38:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low temp in winter? Ideas?  (Read 1531 times)
neoneddy

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2017, 11:12:26 PM »

Took ol Red out to Owatonna,mntonoght to see our local Junior hockey club play an away game.

I thought it might be fun for the family to relax and enjoy the ride and sleep well on the way back.

Anyway I noticed the temp gauge never got much over 140-145. 180 is optimal for complete fuel burn right?  I did notice a little white smoke when I really have it the go juice.

The otr heater is installed and used, got it to a comfy 74 inside by the time we got home.

Nothing else to report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First time bus owner, long time bus lover  - 1982 MCI MC9 6V92 - Current Status - Livable, still 20-30% more to go.  Video Build Log
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 03:50:39 AM »

Do you have the shutters and dampers still installed?  MCI used  a "shutterstat" system to activate air powered shutters in front of the radiators and dampers to kill the efficiency of the big fans if the engine was running too cold.  The shutterstat closes at 178 degrees, so MIC obviously wants the engine to run around 180.  Ditto the thermostats open at 170 degrees, fully open at 185 degrees.  This is for a 8v71, might be a little different if you have another engine, but close.

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 05:15:22 AM »

You don't want to run the 6v92 that cold 170 is the minimum it causes a washout as it is called in the engine world and you will be rebuilding the 6v92 if you don't get the temp up,we would change the t stats to the fully closing type in cold weather.You can also have the snap on type covers made for each side and adjust those I had a set for my MCI 8 to help keep it warm in Idaho I bought from MCI,get the temp up though are you will have problems JMO     

Life is short drink the good wine first
neoneddy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 07:52:25 AM »

Ok, thanks guys, didn't know it was that dire, everyone always talked about overheating being the big one. We only put 180 miles or so on it in this condition. My next stop will be to DD shop down the road.

First time bus owner, long time bus lover  - 1982 MCI MC9 6V92 - Current Status - Livable, still 20-30% more to go.  Video Build Log
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 07:58:28 AM »

It could be your temperature gauge.  Buy a laser temperature gun and check.  They are on sale this weekend at Harbor Freight, $17

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
neoneddy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 08:20:36 AM »

Update: checked my louvers on the raditors and they moved freely. I guess they aren't getting activated for.some reason, I'm 95% sure they were open last night.

neoneddy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 08:23:20 AM »

It could be your temperature gauge.  Buy a laser temperature gun and check.  They are on sale this weekend at Harbor Freight, $17

Thanks Geoff, I have one but didn't think to use it when I got home. I had to manually shut off the engine, that darn shutoff selonoid keeps sticking.

Anyway, when I'd did that everything felt abnormally cold. When I first bought the bus last year it was in freezing temps and it was much hotter.   

Can thermostats fail open? I suppose that preferable to failing closed.

Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 08:36:33 AM »

Time to get 180°F Tstats. Problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 10:28:04 AM »

I wouldn't jump on thermostats. If shutters are staying open, check to see if the air shutoff valve is open. If it is, loosen airline going to shutterstat. If you have airflow, replace shutterstat. They're usually Kysor of Cadillac. They are available on eBay and most likely Luke and others. The temp setting should be stamped on shutterstat.
 If you don't have air supply to shutterstat, figure out why. Follow air lines to make sure you are checking the input side. The output goes to the shutter cylinder. If you have air on both sides of shutterstat, then the problem is in cylinder, linkage or shutters.

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
neoneddy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 11:22:51 AM »

I wouldn't jump on thermostats. If shutters are staying open, check to see if the air shutoff valve is open. If it is, loosen airline going to shutterstat. If you have airflow, replace shutterstat. They're usually Kysor of Cadillac. They are available on eBay and most likely Luke and others. The temp setting should be stamped on shutterstat.
 If you don't have air supply to shutterstat, figure out why. Follow air lines to make sure you are checking the input side. The output goes to the shutter cylinder. If you have air on both sides of shutterstat, then the problem is in cylinder, linkage or shutters.

Where is the shutter stat and or what does it look like?

Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 11:31:11 AM »

I don't think shutters are THE problem.  The thermostats should keep the engine at minimum 175F.  And the thermostats can fail in any position.

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 12:36:14 PM »

I don't have shutters, and the engine always goes up to 180, 185 no matter how cold outside. I think shutters have a benefit only for idling in winter, or driving around town when you're not running hard enough to make enough heat. Modern coaches don't have shutters, they have coolant heaters like Webasto, that maintain operating temperature in slow going.

JC

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 01:12:45 PM »

on my mci even after I rebuilt it and bumped the power to 350 hp if the shutters did not close when it is cold I could never get any heat up front unless you were going up a big hill under load . if the temperature is not cold you never have a problem . I always lubed the system and checked the air lines

dave

dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp cat
 home base huntsville ontario canada
neoneddy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 02:29:08 PM »

Update : got out one of the handyman's secret weapons and sprayed WD40 and lithium grease on the shutter attach points as well as the air piston.

Next I did find the shutter stat, I saw an adjustment handle and did some once the coach was aired up. At first the adjuster was snug tight. I loosened it some and noticed I could no longer move the shutters by hand, and then they shut on my fingers. No biggie, flexible aluminum.

I took it for a drive and sure enough she came up to temp , but then it kept rising.   I never let it get above 190-195.   Next I adjusted it tight closed again and the temp dropped to 160ish , heading to 145.   So I opened it just a smidge and the shutters popped shut this time.   I made it home with temp 190-195 and Parker it still scratching my head but about new problems.

richard5933

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 02:48:45 PM »

My earlier research on the subject of shutters seemed to indicate that one of the reasons for the shutters is to aid in building heat if the OTR heating system is still in place. Since the OTR heat acts like a secondary radiator shedding heat to inside the coach, the closed shutters help keep the engine radiator from also shedding heat in extreme cold conditions. Apparently running the OTR heat and having the airflow into the engine bay will keep the engine at too low a temp. I'm guessing that it has something to do with reducing air flow across the engine and not just across the radiator, since the thermostat can shut off the flow to the radiator when the engine is too cold. The thermostat cannot, however, cut off air flow across the engine bay. At least on the 4108 the engine fan is always spinning, so the shutters are about the only way to keep cold air from entering the engine bay.

Mine are still not fully functional, but it's on my list of things to accomplish once the spring weather creeps up on us. I'm going to sit this winter out.

Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 (Current Bus)
1964 GM PD4106-2412
Located in beautiful Wisconsin
KD9GRB
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: