Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 14, 2017, 07:21:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheel Bearing?  (Read 919 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2017, 12:40:21 PM »

I ran my duals up on blocks and while my tag was off the ground I grabbed it top and bottom and it moved.  Not a lot, but a little "clunk" up and down.  That was about 2000 miles back.  Today I noticed a bit of a vibration while driving.  Could be related, might not be.  Could be a tire lost a weight or something else.

So the question, is this typically a bad bearing?  What's involved in changing it?  Is it something I should try or drive another 300 miles to the Chattanooga garage and let Joel fix it?

Thoughts?

Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/
Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM
Publisher - BCM
Help Team

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 12:58:19 PM »

Not sure if it is a bad bearing Dave as I am not familiar with big wheels.  But I had my rear wheel bearings replaced about 2 weeks ago at the El Paso Freightliner and after you remove the wheel, you will need a big socket wrench (about 2.5") and either a press or big bars to remove the bearing race as if your bearings are bad, you should also replace the races which can be a bear to remove.  I had a leaking seal and when they removed the wheel they discovered the bearings were also pitted so I had them changed.

I don't feel qualified to give advice as I have not done this myself, but I would check the lug nuts and to ensure they are all tight, to eliminate that as a possibility. Then hopefully someone else will chime in and give you some good advice.

But I will tell you that they had to call about 6 places before they found the correct bearings and races in El Paso so that delayed the job too. I purchased another set of bearings and races as I was told that if one side has bad bearings, it is probably almost time to replace the other side as well.

Good Luck

1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversions.com
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 01:59:08 PM »

Its not rocket science but you probably want to do the first one under supervision and you don't want to learn on the side of the road.  If its not getting hot I'd drive it.  Use an IR thermometer to compare the temp to the front and drive hub on the same side.  You'll often see a significant temperature difference from side to side so I'd pay more attention to how close the same side temps are than to any side to side differences.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 02:01:13 PM »

I doubt the tag bearing is causing a noticeable vibration. It's possible, but unlikely.

Still, easy to check. Back the brakes shoes off, jack up the tag, and spiin the wheel. If the bearing is bad, you should be able to hear and feel it.  Also check the play. You said it moved with a clunk? And you didn't have that looked at?  Shocked  There should be minimal movement, and no noise. Maybe it just needs to be adjusted. Or maybe it's bad.  Also, make sure it's not the tag axle bushings that are loose and clunking.

Changing bearings is not overly difficult. Yes, you need some special tools for the bearing nuts. You may need to change the races, too. They can be removed with a flat ended punch and can be reinserted using a piece of thick plate steel and a maul. I think there are photos on my bus site showing this on one of my axle maintenance pages.  

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »

Be sure and throw some new wheel seals in there while your at it. I once checked a hub for heat after losing a bearing and my glove melted to the rim, not on my bus thankfully.
Will

Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »

It might be the driveline.

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 07:04:25 PM »

I paid thousands of dollars twice to have all of my bearings replaced. First time a truck repair place did a poor job. Took it to a bus repair place and they did it right. Had my tag hubs converted to packed grease except my front steer hubs. When I get time, Iíll have my steer hubs done too. Life is much easier and cleaner and no checking hub oil levels anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 05:36:16 AM »

Movement in a tag wheel warrants immediate inspection by someone with old bus experience.

Your body of bus knowledge and misadventure is moving you beyond God's default protection for fools...

Best not put Him to the test?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 06:19:43 AM »

Life is much easier and cleaner and no checking hub oil levels anymore.

That's the first time I've heard anybody say anything about checking hub oil levels.  I've been driving this beast for seven years and didn't know I had hub oil.  What's hub oil and where's the dip stick?

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 07:04:45 AM »

Heed BW's advice the wheel shouldn't have but 0.5000 run out (play) you have something going on that is not normal, there is no dip stick if using wet lube type only the outer hub sight unless some body painted over it 
There is
nothing wrong with packed or lube type wheel bearings it is a personal preference,I prefer the wet type with Lucas hub oil ,the right seal and adjustments they never gave a a problem over the years   

Life is short drink the good wine first
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 07:29:27 AM »

That's the first time I've heard anybody say anything about checking hub oil levels.  I've been driving this beast for seven years and didn't know I had hub oil.  What's hub oil and where's the dip stick?

If you have oil hubs, there will be a rubber plug in the outer hub cap. Oil level should be to the bottom of the plastic center piece where the plug goes.

Here's a photo of the plug. Mine are green.
http://www.gumpydog.com/Bus/MC9_WIP/Mechanical/Tag_Axle/010520.12.tire_reinstalled.JPG

Here's the proper level.
http://www.gumpydog.com/Bus/MC9_WIP/Mechanical/Tag_Axle/010520.16.filling_hub_with_gear_lube.JPG

Actually, if you don't have oil hubs, you'll probably still have the rubber plug, but you'll have to determine if they were converted to grease or not.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:33:25 AM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
azdieselman

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 09:25:18 AM »

I think Clifford meant .005

1/2 in is a little generous

1980 Mod 10
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 09:38:06 AM »

Just 1 too many 0's and the 5 in the wrong place  Kevin  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:40:57 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
azdieselman

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »

Yup,

TMC spec  is , 001-.005

1980 Mod 10
Scott & Heather

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 11:38:27 AM »

Dave, this is your own photo off Facebook: that little blackened (was red) plug in the center of your wheel is what you need to pop out. You should see oil in there level with the bottom of the plastic housing window which should be clear:

Scott & Heather
Jim Eh.

Excess in moderation

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 12:05:47 PM »

Dave, this is your own photo off Facebook: that little blackened (was red) plug in the center of your wheel is what you need to pop out. You should see oil in there level with the bottom of the plastic housing window which should be clear:

And that is a CR brand hub cap so the oil level line should be to the bottom of the sight glass. If you clean off the paint it will have a raised line showing you the proper oil level. If you pull off the cap for any reason check the hub level about 4 times until you are sure the oil has leveled off in to the hub oil level gallery. It has to pass from the hub cap through the outer bearing and into the center part of the hub so it takes a while to level off.

Jim Eh.
1996 MC12
6V92TA / HT741D
Winnipeg, MB.
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 01:39:58 PM »

LOL - Scott, no fair using my own pictures against me   Smiley

Thanks for all the advice folks.  I'm going to make a trip down to the Chattanooga garage when we leave here and get some service.

Thanks,
Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Scott & Heather

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 07:02:18 PM »

Lol Dave, I just had to.

Scott & Heather
Jim Eh.

Excess in moderation

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 10:28:01 AM »

BTW, if you use a CR hub cap plug (green) and not a Stemco brand (red) you will likely stop any sweating from the fill plug area.

Jim Eh.
1996 MC12
6V92TA / HT741D
Winnipeg, MB.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: