Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 10, 2017, 11:57:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here near Mercer, PA?  (Read 589 times)
B_K

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2017, 11:56:43 PM »

Hey guys I am stranded in Mercer, PA (exit 15 on I-80) in my sprinter van and need some idea where might be a good place to get help working on my little 5 cyl Mercedes engine.
I'm in a hotel room for the night will see what's up in the AM!
BK two 7 zero - 7 zero 5 - eleven 3 nine
Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 05:35:52 AM »

Bryce, not there and I have no car this weekend. Flew into my job this time in Tennessee. Can someone help Bryce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »

BK, Did you get going? I just seen this, I'm about a hour and a half from you if there's anything I can help out with.
Good luck Jason

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 03:04:50 PM »

Our local Cintas bought a Sprinter diesel a couple of years ago. Someone accidently put gasoline in it and ran it till it quit. Dodge would only work on vehicle EXCEPT diesel engine. They had to take it to Mercedes dealer for diesel engine work. Some pecular deal with these vehicles. Don't know if it has ever changed.

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 04:47:54 AM »

Any luck?

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
longjohn

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 06:03:57 AM »

B-K I am down on the eastern shore of Maryland,but will load up tools and head your way  if you need me to. 4four3-three 73-97zero0...JohnO

i might be able to roust one of the mechanic's from a large local diesel service who works on everything

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 06:11:19 AM by longjohn » Logged

John O
Eastern Shore of Maryland.
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 11:08:08 AM »

I rented a van and got my passengers home.
Now I need to find a way to get the Sprinter home and find/fix it.

Was tooling along with the cruise control on doing 74-75 mph and the van started losing power.
I stepped on the pedal and nothing happened.
I was in the middle of nowhere and had a full load of passengers, so I limped it off the next exit and got out and looked under the hood.
There was oil EVERYWHERE and the dipstick was about an inch out of it's hole.
There was NOTHING at the exit I stopped at so I limped and I mean barely limped it 3 miles down the road to the next exit. On the way the dash oil light lit up and it showed me across the screen that it was - 2 qts.
I limped into a truck stop and bought a gallon of Mobil Delvac 15/40 and added it, still low so I put another qt in and brought it up to the normal level.
Started it back up and it seemed to run OK but had a little more vibration than normal.
Got back on the hwy and it was still in limp mode and would not go over 50 mph and it was/is smoking very bad. Also really vibrates very very bad around 2000 rpm.

After finding and getting a rental van to get my passengers home.
I checked the oil an it was OK, so I started it and backed it to a parking spot out of the way in the hotel parking lot. It started fine, but had a vibration. When I put it in gear the first time it died. I restarted it and revved it up, let it back to idle and put it in reverse. It did stay running, but had NO POWER. I floored it and it barely had enough power to back up and was pouring out pure black smoke.

So now I need to find a way to get it home.
Grin  BK  Grin

PS. Jason & John I am sorry it took me so long to respond. Upon getting home I had to take a day to recoup from driving a crowded and uncomfortable rental van 12 hrs.
Then had internet problems and now just cathing up.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 01:01:43 PM »

Sounds like the EGR valve has stuck open

Life is short drink the good wine first
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 01:38:03 PM »

A broken piston would do all that and soak your air cleaner in oil so no power, black smoke, vibration, and a lot of oil lost out the exhaust. 

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »

BK,

I lost the boost tube from the turbo to the intercooler on my little diesel Jeep Liberty on a long grade east of Kingman, AZ.  No power near the crest of something like an 8 mile 6% grade.  Fortunately for me, there was a truck broke down at the top, and the service truck was there---I borrowed a long screwdriver ant re-secured the clamp on the boost tube that had been pushed off(under pressure).  Not so good for the truck driver but great for me as I had ZERO TOOLS, and this is not far from the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from there!  The mechanic might not have gotten a tip from the trucker, but the only $20 I had in my wallet was wrapped around the screwdriver when I handed it back to him.  I think I had to replace the EGR valve a couple of thousand miles later- so I know that was probably the cause.

I sold that Jeep because the wife wanted something more fuel efficient around town--but I wish I had kept it.

Steve

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: