Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 17, 2017, 11:19:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shutterstat Removal and Replace Procedure  (Read 772 times)
neoneddy

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2017, 01:25:51 PM »

I've done some due diligence and searched for this with no luck.

I have a shutterstat on the way from C & J bus Repair of Bloomington, nice folks there, I'm considering swapping it out myself.

I've put a wrench on it as-is with no luck in getting it to budge, I haven't really laid into it until I have something to plug the hole with .

So any tips on this would be great, my biggest fear is introducing significant air into the coolant lines.

First time bus owner, long time bus lover  - 1982 MCI MC9 6V92 - Current Status - Livable, still 20-30% more to go.  Video Build Log
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 03:53:19 PM »

You're going to replace this without draining the coolant?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 03:59:23 PM »

You're going to replace this without draining the coolant?

which would not be a good idea...
in-fact, draining and fashioning multiple air bleeds at this time would be a huge plus.
the tstat crossovers used to all have one,
adding one to a rear area of each head...would eliminate your concern.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 05:30:00 PM »

With no pressure on coolant system, you should be able to quickly change to new one with minimal coolant loss. Have the threads on new one properly coated with wrap or sealant. Loosen old one till you can turn it by hand. Unthread, remove, and quickly thread in new one.

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 08:01:42 PM »

With no pressure on coolant system, you should be able to quickly change to new one with minimal coolant loss. Have the threads on new one properly coated with wrap or sealant. Loosen old one till you can turn it by hand. Unthread, remove, and quickly thread in new one.

and bleed the air void off where...?

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
neoneddy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 08:36:22 PM »

Initially that was my thought like chessie said. I'd think the air bubble would work it's way up to the reserve tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First time bus owner, long time bus lover  - 1982 MCI MC9 6V92 - Current Status - Livable, still 20-30% more to go.  Video Build Log
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 08:57:45 PM »

Initially that was my thought like chessie said. I'd think the air bubble would work it's way up to the reserve tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a risk that many have wished they had not taken.
but, busnut way. there are many.
good luck.

Donald PH
Wants Paint Smiley
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 04:44:05 AM »

If coolant is coming out of hole, any air will have to go into overflow tank if it is open while you do this. We're talking about about a pint of coolant loss or less. If you are concerned about air pocket, drive it around at moderate speed after a good amount of idling time with heaters on high. I can see concern about an air pocket if we're talking about a couple of gallons of loss or removal. But can't hurt to be super cautious if you feel anxious.

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
neoneddy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 09:28:46 AM »

I'd think if I have the new fitting ready to go and the old one loose with an unpressurized  system I could do it with  a cup or less of loss.  The hole would be unobstructed  for what maybe 1/2  second?  then any seepage would be around the threads.

I putzsed with it some yesterday,  never did get it to budge.   I might try some heat on the outer flange to get it to expand away from the cold shutterstat.

Here in Central MN it went from 57 (crzy warm) to the 20s in a matter of hours... I might also just wait until spring.

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 09:34:45 AM »

Heat with a propane torch does wonders with years old thread sealing compound. Just did this last week with snapped off fitting I had to remove stub with easy out. Wouldn't budge without fear of snapping ez out. Heated with torch and came out easily.

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 10:07:57 AM »

So do your shutters work properly? 

I assume you're changing this because your shutters are not opening and your bus is running hot?  Have you tried opening them manually by turning off the air supply to them using the valve on the regulator?  Did it make a difference on the operating temperature? 

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 10:12:50 AM »

If you need shutter parts I have a set from MCI C that are going in junk pile

Life is short drink the good wine first
neoneddy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 10:14:55 AM »

Thanks for jumping in Craig,

Yes, currently the shutters do not open if the regulator is on at all.   If the shutters are open the engine does not get much above 140-145 in these temps.

From a previous thread it seems I might also have a thermostat issue.  I suspect however that in the spring when I was finding air leaks I heard a hissing from the regulator and figured "What's this do? .. huh if I turn the knob down it stops.  Sweet one leak found" and now I'm realizing what it was for.

It seems even if I do have a thermostat issue I should also get the shutters working right because it cna help with warmup and in-traffic driving in the colder months.   I'm planning on taking the it out in the early spring for a trip and I'd like this working as good as it can.

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 10:18:51 AM »

I changed my shutterstat without draining fluid, zero issues.  Get the old one loose enough to turn by hand, have the new one prepped and ready to go, old one out, thumb over hole, new one in and press hard and turn fast.  Any air bubble will instantly rise to the top of the radiator (that is where that pipe goes to) and be voided.  Didn't even need to top off fluid.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 11:04:06 AM »

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:25:06 PM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

neoneddy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 12:34:54 PM »

I know it was controversial, but I went for it.  I even recorded it for the youtube.

I'd estimate I lost 1 Tablespoon to 1/4th cup of coolant.

Now to fix my block heater cord so she'll start.

Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 05:33:12 PM »

Nice job. I love everyone here, but I do wonder how anal some of us are about stuff thatís simple. If you post a thread on which is the best tire Schrader valve cap to use, it would exceed three pages of ramblings....thatís just insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 05:07:34 AM »

Personality concentrations here... no choice?

Heavy "Type A", critical of commercially available campers, hard core DIY

Mix in the "retired time wasting to fill the day"...

And, "sharing with others" so they won't screw up like I did...

A shade of "I want to type something I read on the Internet too"...

We are doomed and blessed all at the same time?

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 05:33:27 AM »

Yep just like I told a new guy if you want to know how to build a watch just ask "what time is it" somebody on the internet will tell how to build a watch 

Life is short drink the good wine first
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 06:29:14 AM »

Nice job. I love everyone here, but I do wonder how anal some of us are about stuff thatís simple. If you post a thread on which is the best tire Schrader valve cap to use, it would exceed three pages of ramblings....thatís just insane.

Maybe we're just bored waiting for your next breakdown so we can all help you out again.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: