Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 16, 2017, 08:33:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Campground near LAX ?  (Read 1347 times)
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2017, 09:07:42 AM »

I will be at the Quartzsite rally by myself. Valerie is  busy at that time, but will fly to LAX on the 22nd of January. I would like to park the bus somewhere close to the airport for a couple of nights so I can pick her up with the Jeep. Recommendations? I don't mind parking at Walmart or similar, or on the street somewhere either, but I know that is tough to find in a big city. Within an hour or two of the airport would be best. The Dockwiler RV park next to LAX is closed for renos in January, there is one at Malibu beach about an hour away. Any other ideas? We want to see some of the sights around LA, then San Diego area.

TIA.

JC

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:04:04 AM »

JC,, Go to google and look up the nearest HOME DEPOT store near LAX.. One of the better places to spend the night or park for awhile,,large lots and you can usually find a remote corner with little activity.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA
Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM
Publisher - BCM
Help Team

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:37:08 AM »

JC, here is a park where you can call ahead and guarantee a spot. It is one of many but is one that I am familiar with.  You can always reserve a spot here then if you find something better, you can always call to cancel this one. But this way, you are locked into something. It is about 30-40 minutes from LAX depending on what time of day she is flying in.  She should avoid flying in during rush hour as traffic around LAX gets pretty backed up then.

https://www.anaheimharborrvpark.com/

But both LA and Orange County now have a lot of homeless folks living in RVs on the streets everyday, but being from out of town, and not familiar with the area, it may be better to park in an RV Park, but most of them are pretty full around here most of the time.

I will be be following this post to see what others say.

Gary

1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversions.com
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:02:46 PM »

Hi JC, to bad about Dockwieler,  there are a couple in Long Beach, Golden Shores, is the closest and  good, but all are expensive, I  stay  in East Shore in Pomona near the I-10 & the 57 hwy. Very good park, also Balboa RV Park, in Van Nuys, off the I-405 & Sherman Way, a nice old trailer park,  they have a overnight area, no sewer but can dump,, I know the owner well, use my name, tom...

MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Publisher - BCM
Help Team

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:14:28 PM »

JC, Newport Dunes is also very nice if you want to pay up to $225/night but that is above my pay grade.   Cheesy
http://www.newportdunes.com/resort/rates/

Long Beach will be the closest you can get to LAX, I forgot about that one.  Thanks Tom. Eric Mutter stayed here and said it is very nice.  http://goldenshorervresort.com/. They charge $60-69/night.

Bolsa Chica is also an option if you want to stay on the beach and it is a nice state park so rates should be reasonable but I didn't see the rates online.  But I am not sure they take reservations.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=642

Gary@BusConversions.com
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:31:48 PM »

Thanks, you guys are better than a travel agent! We will look at them all and make a decision. We will probably book for a week and see the sights.

JC

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:43:18 PM »

Thanks, you guys are better than a travel agent! We will look at them all and make a decision. We will probably book for a week and see the sights.

JC

A week!!!! with traffic you won't see much in LA,when you head for San Diego stop and spend the night at Pechanga in Temecola we park there and drive the hour to San Diego the parks in San Diego are expensive,one on the beach I forgot the name was over 300 bucks a night and you had to stay at least 3 days   

Life is short drink the good wine first
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 01:00:24 PM »

JC, Newport Dunes is also very nice if you want to pay up to $225/night but that is above my pay grade.   Cheesy
http://www.newportdunes.com/resort/rates/

Long Beach will be the closest you can get to LAX, I forgot about that one.  Thanks Tom. Eric Mutter stayed here and said it is very nice.  http://goldenshorervresort.com/. They charge $60-69/night.

Bolsa Chica is also an option if you want to stay on the beach and it is a nice state park so rates should be reasonable but I didn't see the rates online.  But I am not sure they take reservations.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=642

Newport Dunes is unremarkable and very overpriced.   Parking next to the beach boardwalk at Bolsa Chica SP would be nice (as long as there isn't a winter storm blowing in off the Pacific!), but it's always quite full in the winter with snowbirds.   Huntington Beach just a few miles south also has RV parking by the ocean, but I think it's a city park.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of solar on the roof.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 01:23:42 PM »

December 7, 2017.  The ongoing California-Los Angeles area wildfires might disrupt normal facility availability.  Short and long term.  Southern California right now is in turmoil.  Just a heads up.
RJ
Angola Coach Conversion "Aesop's Tortoise"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 02:27:41 PM »

December 7, 2017.  The ongoing California-Los Angeles area wildfires might disrupt normal facility availability.  Short and long term.  Southern California right now is in turmoil.  Just a heads up.

HB -

The current fires in the LA area are up around Ventura, thus nowhere near LAX.

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 1978 MC-5C Converted
6V71/MT-644
S14947 1980 MC-5C Shell
6V92/HT-740
Cheney WA
Publisher - BCM
Help Team

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 02:34:21 PM »

Yes RJ but the folks who live in the fire areas frequently get in their RV's and move in to the RV parks down this way until the smoke clears.  The smoke drives them out of their neighborhoods.

Gary@BusConversions.com
windtrader

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 03:08:49 PM »

JC - just park the bus in long term at LAX. Then just shuttle over to get her. 
https://www.cheapairportparking.org/lax
LOL

Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted (June 2017)
Beluga Bus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 04:21:15 PM »

Fires will be long gone by the time you are here, we are at the end of fire season now. I would stay outside of the L.A. area and drive your jeep in to pick her up. Goldenshores and East Shores in San Dimas are nice and no more than 30-45 min from LAX during non-tradffic hours. There are A LOT of homeless living in RVs all around the L.A. area and I would avoid staying overnight in many of the communities surrounding LAX, even in a Wallmart or Homedepot parking lot.

Matt

PG 2904
Long Beach, CA
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 04:27:45 PM »

Smoke reported in the area but so far nothing reported around us. "Captain we have some reports of icebergs in the area but nothing around us."  "Full speed ahead", said Captain Smith.

"Oh ... maintain full speed through the night and fog"    My point is there is fire activity in the general area.  Now getting South.  Conditions are dynamic.  Consider the regional repercussions.

Consider future events.  Ongoing current fires.  Potential for spread.  Consider the numbers of folks displaced.  Consider road closures.  Consider future road closures. Did I mention dynamic?

Deteriorating traveling conditions.  Consider fire service stacking and staging.  How many folks evacuating?  Where will they go?  Where will they stay?  Fuel.  Water.  Toilets.  Campgrounds.

Please try to have a nice day.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »

I agree JC with by Neighbor Matt, East Shores in San Dimas is nice and a lot less than some others. End of January is nice also. San Diego is very expensive.

"PATHFINDER"(Bus)
Toed 1998 Jeep TJ
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: