Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
January 16, 2018, 11:29:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tapping into main fuel tank?  (Read 1150 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 06:56:59 AM »

That should work Jason

Life is short drink the good wine first
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 07:16:52 AM »

Thanks Cliff, I think that's my simplest solution.
Jason

jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 08:29:26 PM »

I think I got this figured out with the vent, so now a question about the pickup tube, should I put a screen on the tube like this?
https://www.mcmaster.com/#98115k42/=1b3q8wk and if so witch size screen 60 or 100?
Thanks Jason

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2018, 04:27:38 AM »

I wouldn't want a screen on the pickup, especially since your tube will be 6 or 7 inches off bottom. Just another headache if it starts to plug over time and causes issues with generator. Plus, a pita to service. Better to only have fuel filter at engine to deal with.

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2018, 07:34:59 AM »

I wouldn't want a screen on the pickup, especially since your tube will be 6 or 7 inches off bottom. Just another headache if it starts to plug over time and causes issues with generator. Plus, a pita to service. Better to only have fuel filter at engine to deal with.

A bus's fuel system will draw fuel up from the tank, filter it, run a lot more fuel than the injector components need, and then cycle the extra fuel (the fuel not injected into the engine and burnt) back into the tank.  This is for lubrication and cooling of the components actually on the engine.  Since this fuel is filtered, the stuff in the tank is usually pretty clean.  However, there is the issue that there will always be some level of Contaminants, Rust, Algae, and Particulates (also known as CRAP!) in every diesel fuel tank.  I think Chessie is exactly right --- pull fuel from the tank without a hard-to-reach and service strainer on the pickup tube and install an inline filter at the generator. 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2018, 08:53:53 AM »

There are filters for autmotive use with say a 5/16 opening for the pickup tube that can last forever. They are as big as a napkin folded in half .

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2018, 02:12:29 PM »

If you are intent on installing a filter at end of pickup tube, make sure it is for diesel fuel use. Gasoline fuel filters in tank use a finer mesh and will have short life used in diesel fuel.Btdt.

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
Jim Eh.

Excess in moderation

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 02:39:55 PM »

here is my set up Jason
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r4DI89ag2LCv-9uuGI8gqPLq2dd5xhbd/view?usp=sharing

Then I covered it with a shiny protective shell ...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oecHazG8rqY28kx7gKuTqi4rtgwzO4bx/view?usp=sharing

The lines run forward in the cable tray and exit out to the old A/C condenser fan bay where I positioned (read shoehorned) my genny into.

Jim Eh.
1996 MC12
6V92TA / HT741D
Winnipeg, MB.
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2018, 07:09:12 PM »

Okay thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'll forget about the screen on the end of the pickup tube, I thought it was a good idea at the time lol.
Jim that's a nice setup that you did using the aux tank, I did think about using the aux tank then I looked in there and It would take me a week just to remove everything that is permanently mounted in front of the tank so I'm going to use my main tank.
Jason

Jim Eh.

Excess in moderation

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2018, 07:54:47 AM »

I just went by the assumption that if I used the aux it would be another place any filings might remain before getting to the genny or coach motor filters or worse, to the engine(s) which would probably take me MORE than a week to fix.  Wink

Jim Eh.
1996 MC12
6V92TA / HT741D
Winnipeg, MB.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: