Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 07:28:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brrrr!!!  (Read 2201 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2007, 06:43:51 AM »

This is from this morning.  I'm going to run some tests on my heating system today  Smiley

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
belfert

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 06:56:27 AM »

I live near Gumpy so I am experiencing the same type of cold.  My TDI Golf wouldn't start yesterday morning.  It cranked fine but wouldn't fire.  I had only plugged in the coolant heater for 40 minutes.  I plugged the heater back in and 30 minutes later it started.

I learned my lesson on starting diesels and left the heater plugged in all night last night.  I wouldn't even try to start my bus right now.

Volkswagen doesn't supply a block heater, nor do they recommend one.  I bought a third party coolant heater.

Brian Elfert
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 10:29:59 AM »

Hi Craig,

NOT BRRRRRRR..      But,    F**KING BRRRRRRRRRR.........

Too cold for me man...   it's +20 F here and I can't function in theese temps.

I put on the heavy Carthart this morning, I'm warm but, I can't move, hard to drive, can't go to the men's room, ect.

I'll tell ya.. Florida would be nice right now!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 01:26:07 PM »

its 80 degrees on my patio today...

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 01:35:06 PM »

In sunny Arizona around Sedona it is in the 70s.  In fact it was so nice yesterday and today I fired up the old Harley and went for a ride.  I know it is rough but some one has to do it.
ED
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 01:47:55 PM »

It's cold here too. I managed to do some work on the bus last night by taking a heater out with me. Tonight I got all dressed up in multiple sweaters, then went outside and found it was just too cold to stand, so I'm ashamed to say I came back in to the house to do some work on the computer instead. (And of course, rather than working I'm on the board)

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
skipn

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 03:50:38 PM »

Craig,

Well it may be of little comfort but it was 54 F when I got home tonight and it is heading your way. So far in the last 14 days it has been down to -20F up to 55F with a ground blizzard in between. Depending on the day I am either working in my shirt sleeves or bundled up like a fuzzy round ball. By the end of the week down to single digits at night again. So the yoyo continues.

Skip
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 05:20:18 PM »

BURR, BURR, WISH I HAD FUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 06:13:40 PM »

Hey Craig,

I got home at 5:30 and my daughter had said it was -3 an hour earlier. At 7:30 it was -19. This morning when i woke up it was -29.4.

Damn cold, and i am supposed to have my bus at the garage in the neighboring town tomorrow at 8:00 in the morning for some front end work before i leave.

Wonder what the odds are that all systems will work, and that i can get the brakes to release? Last Thur i started it and got it moving, it had been only -16 that night, and was almost zero when i started it up. I have a block heater of course, and can positively state they are worth every penny!!! Poor thing sits outside, so tomorrow morning will be quite a test for it.

Any cold weather tips would be very timely and much appreciated.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 06:56:43 PM »

Craig,
Its 60 in my shop right now  Cheesy Of course if i had a real bus and not a 35 footer I wouldn't be able to fit it in there.  Angry
Just tinkering around with wiring and location for those gauges.
Fred

Fred Thomson
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 08:07:26 PM »

Gumpy,
I feel your pain! But look at the bright side, NO MOSQUITOS
Its -12 with 30 MPH wind even down here in SE Wisconsin.

And for all you southern fair weather folk its not nice to rub it in!

I have to admit I would trade with you now, but come July I'd rather be here. I have to admit I can't wait for the time I can be with you for January and February and here the rest of the year. At least then the winter would be cut in half and almost tolerable.
JimCallaghan

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 08:19:39 PM »

I feel your pain! But look at the bright side, NO MOSQUITOS

Not necessarily true. 

Ever since we've lived in this house, I find at least one mosquito in my bathroom in January or February. I don't know. But every year, I find a mosquito flying around in my bathroom when it's freezing outside.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 08:31:49 PM »

Any cold weather tips would be very timely and much appreciated.

Make sure your antifreeze is full. It's not unusual to lose several gallons when it gets cold due to cold leaks around clamps. Since I bought a bus, I've had to buy more antifreeze than in my entire life previously.

Plug it in several hours ahead of starting. Let it idle till the temp starts coming up. This will help start to warm up the tranny.

I'd suggest cyclying the air a couple times as long as you don't have trouble with it. Pump your brakes to drop the pressure and cycle the compressor a few times. The air from the compressor will be warmer, and will help warm up all your valves, etc. It'll also help get all moisture out of the system by cycling the dryer.

Take it slow when you start driving. The thick fluids in the differential and tranny need some time to warm up. Give it all time to loosen up.

Make sure you test your brakes a few times after you start driving, just to make sure all of them are working and releasing properly.

When it gets this cold, big heavy metal objects sometimes complain, and the results can be very expensive and time consuming.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 08:34:32 PM »

Careful with that Bussicle.

You may be below the Ductile-to-Brittle Transition Temperature. 

Wouldn't want you to turn it into 2 20 footers!

Maybe now would be a good time to practice your

streaking! Shocked Grin Shocked

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 08:44:17 PM »

Thanks for the tips. I will throw a few gallons of premixed antifreeze into the basement. I am sort of lucky that i only have to go about 5 miles to get to the coach repair place. I doubt i will ever see 3rd gear on the trip over there! They had to cancel my appointment i had last Thur, so it has to get there tomorrow. I don't want to drive it any great distance until i get the new front ends pieces put in there. I went out and plugged it in about an hour ago, so it will be a big pot of coffee in the morning and just taking things slow and easy.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: