Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 02:28:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frozen air lines ?  (Read 2667 times)
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 03:12:30 PM »

Luke has Alcohol Evaporators in Stock last I checked.  Stone Age simple and every truck stop sells the stuff.

No Maint just refilling
LUKE at US COACH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 04:59:31 PM »

Hi Wayne & Folks:

When I was operating buses, most of which were older GM's not equipped with air driers, we installed the alcohol evaporator kits as described by JEEPME, BEATENBO & TEKEBIRD.

Here in N.J. about the first of Octber we would fill the container in the engine compartment.  We would perform a regular draining of the wet tank, along with the "ping tank", (which a writer described), and is at the end of the air compressor discharge hose, mounted on the right side of the engine bulkhead (when the coach was built).  I say "when the coach was built", as some of these buses have been through a bunch of hands and there is no telling what is original and what has been modified!!!

How does the kit work??  Every time the compressor cycles, it quirts a small amount of alcohol into the air system. It collects water &sludge and routes it to the wet tank.

The addition of an alcohol evaporator is substantially less expensive than the addition of an air drier and requires "no maintenance", just filling, whereas an air drier has to be maintained in order to be effective. And yes we do have the alchohol kits in stock.

I Hope this HELPS!!!!

Happy & SAFE!!! Bussin' to ALL.

LUKE at US COACH
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »

Thanks to all that have responded. As always, lots of good information to chew on.

I don't think I will take the step to add the big air dryer unit. Sounds like it would be nice to have, but I'd have trouble justifying it.  On the other hand, the alcohol canister approach certainly sounds like it is my best (and simplest)  long term solution. I have been thinking more about cold weather uses for the bus, similar to Jerry H's post a few weeks ago about a ski trip to the Pocono Mountains.

Short term, I probably am going to wait out some of this weather. It isn't supposed to be above freezing here until the start of next week (and then only barely).  Much as it would solve my problem, I don't see myself out freezing my butt off installing the canister system if I have no immediate need to go anywhere. When it gets a tad warmer, I will redrain the tanks and also see if Dallas' suggestion helps me.

FWIW, I did a few minutes of research on air brake antifreeze on-line.  I found there are two types of alcohol used Methanol and Isopropyl.  Methanol is better at lowering the freezing point, but is more prone to dry out seals. Isopropyl is less affective at really cold temps, but is easier of seals.  I think both are offered with rust inhibitor additives.

Luke: I want to keep the canister system in mind as either a DIY project for me, or for the next time my 4104 visits your shop. By the way, the rebuild your shop did is running real well.

Wayne

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: