Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 06:33:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I bought a used bus Now What?  (Read 7603 times)
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 08:42:31 AM »

Now find a Bus Rally to attend.  Spend three days, it will be like a class room.  I spent two days in Arcadia, everyone was GREAT educating me answering every question I had and I had lots of them.

Thanks again to everyone in Florida that showed me in, under and over there coaches.

Bill W.

Still in Little Rock
Raytheon DASR RADAR Project

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 08:52:47 AM »

Hey guys,I havn't inspected the bus and the folks selling it don't sound to knowledgable to me so I would like to find out some things which I don't get any clear answers on from them. I don't know what model transmission or if it has a retarder or jake brake. They claim it runs good but I would like somewone to start it up and air it up and report what it looks like to you. The thing looks like whoever got rid of it took all the good tires and wheels and put on steel wheels and all the worst tires and some paint to sell it. I believe that MCI's had a spare behind the front bumper but I don't  know if this is true so anyway I told them I needed a spare to travel with. I dont want to hazve to buy tires before I get to Oregon as prefer to have local dealer and oregon has no sales tax.Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 09:52:35 AM »

Are you in this for the adventure?

I might suggest you get  someone from the board to take a look at it for you and give you an evaluation prior to buying an airplane ticket.  There seems to be several guys that I know could provide a good report not too far from the bus

Offer to pay them for thier time. maybe 200.00 for the day?Huh

If it passes that test, find a bus mechanic to evaluate it for you futher........Most definitley before you drive it 3000 miles.

no idea what you are paying for it, but there are buses for sale on the west coast....probably in equal or better shape and for the same price.

seems like alot of effort for a common bus with unknown history.

Also scarey is the fact they don't know anything about it......who knows how they abused it prior to deciding to sell it.

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 09:55:03 AM »

Hey T-bird, look at the bright side for this guy and his purchase... it's not an Eagle!  Cheesy

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 10:32:19 AM »

yep , won't have to worry about worn out torsilastics, and copious amounts of rust, expensive parts etc etc........LOL

Just kidding all you Eagle Freaks
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 10:35:32 AM by tekebird » Logged
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 10:58:53 AM »

I have been looking for a bus on the west coast but couldn't find one with an 8V92. the only ones I seen were in the east or mid west. Also buying in the west doesn't mean it's not 2000 miles from home. I  think anyone familiar with DD's could start this thing up and get a good idea of good or bad. This is from EB and they have 100% and claim it drives great and runs really well. However I would like a bus person to look at for me too. I've certainly run my share of old equipment and usually take plenty of tools along but can't do it since I will have to fly out to get it. The reason I want an 8V is west coast mountains and also want to convert to UVO WVO and will lose some power that way.   Jerry

Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 11:04:55 AM »

Also I wanted a widebody as my present MH is a widebody and I sseen that GM have the crossways engine and eagles have rust problems so went after an MCI.  I have an allegro bus with a cummins engine in it now and no way to put in an extra tank for conversion. The cummins is to weak for the mountains even though I have upgraded the power the cooling system can't keep up.   Jerry

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 11:22:15 AM »

not exactly true on the DD the 6-71 in my 04 prior to a new one being put in ran well, didn't smoke etc.....but when taken out and looked at My DD guy and the mechanic who took it out were supprised it was running so well with the wear it had.....now is that a good thing or a bad thing?  Was running great worn out but was a ticking time bomb in my book.

I understand that isf you buy a bus on the west coast in say LA you stiill have a drive on your hands.

With the seller not knowing about buses what they say about driving well is not worth the time to even say that........I have gone to look at alot of buses and other vehicles that were said to  run and drve great only to find them having serious issues.

Where were you looking for buses and what is your shell budget,

ABC, MAK as well as a bunch of other sales places on the west coast have lots of buses on hand, there are even a few in your neck of the woods.\

I think you will find you will notice little diffwerence in power on the smaller motor......at least not enough to make it a buying issue IMHO

Sure it will be  a bit slower on a grade but that does not really ad up to much lost time on a trip in reality.

Now as a regular Ebay both personal and for business....feedback is important, but you must consider how many feedbacks they have, and also what else they were selling.......

selling and getting 5000 positive feedbacks for selling Roundtuits, does not mean they know about buses or anything else for that matter.  They may not be trying to mislead you but if they don't know buses and are saying it drives and runs great they can't reasonably say that unless they qualify it by saying 'but I really don't know buses"

Ex, I looked at an MC-8 a few years ago......Corporate owned from new ......Pics looked great......But pics are great lyers...even if the photographer is well intentioned.....and that can go both ways, but the thing was not that nice in person, ran great, but smoked badly on a warm day, Had some maint records but they were shoddy and work was done at very oddball places and not by bus people.  In Fact some of the work that was done was obvious........and obviously was starting to fail just a few hthousand miles later.

Again, I would pay one of the guys that lives around there to go give it a run and drive.

If it passes that test arrange to have it inspected in more depth

If it passes then Fly in and pay after you inspect it ( this is better done while it is being prof. inspected.

As far as tools.

Buy what you need after you pick up the bus.....Sears...and take what you don't use back when you get home.

Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 11:47:47 AM »

Yes I am in Yuma AZ now and it takes me three days to get home from here. The outfit I am buying from is a small RV dealer and car dealer. ...Jerry

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 11:54:11 AM »

give us a call  all of the carolina people will try to meet you and welcome you to the busnut world.

jr we might meet up in gastonia and get with dallas and ride down.  if the bus makes it up blackmountain  he will have it made.

Uncle Ned
4104 "Huggy Bear"

Hi Ned,  Sure could.   You would be coming down 321?
We'll see what Dallas has planned and figure something out.
Dallas?!!  What's up?
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
captain ron

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 12:13:17 PM »

T-Bird I was in your corner when Ace was beating you up in that eagle thread but you are really going over board pissing on this guys parade. He obviously has been looking for a bus before he bought this one and did some shopping and research. And bought this bus because it met his needs. Budget, style, Drive train and so on. And In this bus community I don't think he needs to PAY anybody to go check it out, were bus NUTS we'll drive any where within reason to look at a bus and evaluate it to help out and meet another bus nut. Give the guy a break  Wink  Grin
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 12:21:30 PM »

Some people can afford prevosts but I am retired now and SS isn't like those pensions that politions get... I sarted with nothing and I've still got most of it. I just wanted a project to work on and sell the MH I have and join all the people here looking for pieces to make and old bus work.  Jerry

captain ron

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 12:58:38 PM »

There is a bill now being mauled over by congress to rename social security to social insecurity
Dreamscape

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 01:13:15 PM »

Jerry,

All I can say is buy what you can afford and HAVE FUN DOING IT!

When I bought mine I had all kinds of dreams to what I wanted and could afford, that was three years ago. I am still plugging along and I ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

It is fun to purchase the coach of your dreams, plan what you want to do with it, make changes along the way and enjoy your coach even if it is not finished.

Anything purchased that is used is bound to wear out, break down and collapse. But that is half the fun, when it breaks, figure it out on how best to fix it.

This is a hobby for most of us BUSNUTS. Enjoy the progress you put into it. HAVE FUN DOING IT!!!!

Happy Trails,

Paul

Dreamscape
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 01:15:08 PM »

Good luck Jerry!! I'm pullin for ya!! I kinda went at my purchase a bit on the "blind side" also, but I love my buffalo. It's great fun to fix up.
  If ya come by Cincy or Indy on the way home and need a hand, let me know. I'd do what I can. It's what being in this fantastic hobby is all about.  Kinda like riding Harleys!!! Right Ron?!?!

It's fun,
           Chaz

p.s. Paul just posted before I got this off and he is right on the money!!!

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: