Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 09:07:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I bought a used bus Now What?  (Read 7534 times)
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 02:54:41 PM »

Jerry:
I will be in Quartzsite Feb 14 thru 16th, probally at the High Jolly camp ground on HWY 95.  I have a MCI 7, don't know a lot but love my bus. If interested in trying to meet with me give me a call on my cell 928-300-9046.
ED
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 03:01:03 PM »

Ron, I am not pissing on anyones dream.  Just posting my ideas.

I suggested paying, I am not retired so taking off work costs me......if it was around the corner no problem but taking 1/2 day or so I would not offer it up for free Unless I wanted to see it for some reason of my own.

I looked at a 4905 that was a few miles from me a year or so ago for a guy in the midwest...gratis

Now as I said I said to pay.....if you or  someone else turns it down...thats your call.....offering to pay is just polite......if you don't have the money don't offer but Everyones time is worth something in my book...if they choose not to accept payment becasue they are a freind, want to help out etc.....thats fine.

Jerry sent me the link to this bus. And I told him he likely won't find another 102 as cheap as that one.

it clearly needs tires as stated in the description.  has some sort of goop on all the roof seams, 600k on the odo, at least a second owner bus

seller is a used RV dealer  with great feedback, but as Jerry said they don't know buses.

having sold and brokered a few buses in my day ( for profit), I have discussed with prospective buyers the cost of converting and maintaining a bus (even ones with known histories)and have had more people walk away........and I feel good about not taking thier money

Jerry has an Alegro Bus motorhome which are nice, although as we all know are not really buses, does he really want to go from Nice Alegro to beat up MCI?  Does he really think that his fully converted WVO powered Bus is going to perform better in the big grades of the west coast?

he is wanting to convert to WVO at the known cost of loss of performance.

he is likely buying a bus with 600k onthe engine and trans.

Is he looking for a project?  If So great, I have seen antique cars that were total losses in my book and someone restored them because that was thier hobby.....with no accounting for the time invested.

I am no Prevost owner 4104 that has been in the family since 1978, MC-8 that I have had for two years, my Dad has a 4108 and is in the process of buying another one.

My Dad has bought two flxliners restoring one and selling at a loss, and bought and restored the MACK MV-620 prototype.....so I know busnuts.

But I also know the atrition rate, and the number of people that get in over thier head.....or uninformed.

I feel good about my warnings as warnings are meant to inform......

and that is indeed what his initial post was asking for, information on a bus that is 300 miles from him with no history and sellers who don't know buses.

IGNORANCE is not Bliss.

I think Kyle is 6 miles from the bus.......get over there and inspect it for the man.
captain ron

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2007, 03:30:02 PM »

Most of us get in over our heads, I did (twice) but most of us can swim and if we're week swimmers and need help there's plenty of lifeguards on here and close by. JJ helped me wire the other bus actually I helped him. Others have came around when I was near by just out of curiosity. And I've visited others. Most of us have already made up our minds when we ask for advice or opinions on here and looking for a little support.
captain ron

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 03:32:57 PM »

Look at the thread title    I bought a used bus Now What? past tense.  not trying to be a prick here either so don't take offense with my post
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 03:41:16 PM »

and that is indeed what his initial post was asking for, information on a bus that is 300 miles from him with no history and sellers who don't know buses
SC to OR is more like 4000 miles I think.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 03:49:24 PM »

it is a long trip and will take a week maybe. I drove from Long Island NY to Astoria Or and back one time and it was only 3000 miles each way. did the whole trip in seven days. Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 04:05:44 PM »

won on ebay, yet to be paid for , at least earlier in this thread.

I guess just color me conservative.......I know a huge oxymoron.

Although I have purchased cars off ebay none were paid for prior to me showing up in person, and I have bid on many a bus on ebay, bidding conservatively considering what may be wrong.

My MC-8 was an ebay bus although I purchased it off of ebay.......called the guys talked for about an hour to figure out he knew what he was talking about and was not full of used car salesman $#!%.  Drove down to NC from PA looked at and drove the bus....said I had to think about it.......talked it over on the way home......called the guy the next day said I would take it but it might be a few weeks until I could coordinate to get down and pick it up........he said he would deliver it for me on his dime that weekend.

I know this is a rare example....

I am not doubting anyones willingness to help a guy out....but if he is on a budget there are expensive contigencies to at least consider.  There is stuff that can break in the middle of BFE Utah or kansas that the parts alone could run him into some pretty hefty bills.

Again, before I would pay I would have someone that is reputable look at run and drive the beast.

then prior to paying would have it at a DD Dealer and over a Pit.

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2007, 04:42:42 PM »

Jerry,

Good luck on this bus.

No one wants to discourage you, just save you the pitfalls that us or others have been through.

When I bought my bus my eyes looked like this   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Next bus like this  Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

I have enjoyed every moment I have worked on my bus, that said, I would not have bought this bus with

what I know now.   My heart overlooked things that took many (100's) hours to fix and make right.  Its a

sweet running machine now, and I wouldn't trade it, but, I learned a lesson.

These are expensive toys, especially to fix, I would not hesitate to get someone to at least look at it

before I flew out.

Good luck in your search

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Dallas

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 04:48:25 PM »

JR,
It'll probably be best if I meet you there, since I'm just a tad bit out of the way.

You guys make the plans then let me know so I know when to leave here!

ON THE ROAD AGAIN! DRIVIN' BUSSES THAT I'VE NEVER SEEN! I JUST CAN'T WAIT TO BE ON THE ROAD AGAIN![/i][/b]

Cheesy Wink Smiley Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue Kiss Cry
captain ron

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2007, 05:11:56 PM »

Wow Dallas, Didn't know you could sing like that Grin
Dallas

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2007, 06:13:18 PM »

Dang!
Neither Did I or anyone else.

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2007, 06:33:40 PM »

JR,
It'll probably be best if I meet you there, since I'm just a tad bit out of the way.

JR,

Hi Dallas, yep, that "321" comment was directed at Uncle Ned (Do you have Ned's phone number?).   I figured you'll go straight over from Florence.  What you doing on Monday?  I'll buy you lunch!  I owe you a couple meals anyway!  Also owe you a few adult bevs?
Believe I owe NCBob a couple too.
You still got the same phone numbers?  I tried both and got Cat's cell phone but no answer.  Said she was on the phone.  
I'll try again tomorrow.   I don't have any problem having a look at Jerry's bus.  
Nothing going on up here at all.  Was nice today, but lately it ain't been fit to go outside.  
Glad I don't live up there in Minnesquito...Craig must be loving the H*# out of that weather.  Butch seems to be enjoying himself in the negative temps in Indiana.
Anyway, let me know if your free.  I'll see if Neds available for this Monday or next?  
Maybe they'll be passing out samples at the Beemer plant~!
Maybe the owner will take us for a ride in J's 102.  Then we could really offer some advice.  I have some advice already.  
Jerry, plan on some new tires before lighting out across the county.  The bus probably has 12 or 13R-22.5 tires and they are generally expensive on the road.  You may be able to buy a set for the cost of a couple highway replacements.
I believe you asked if a spare would go behind the front bumper...the answer is yes...but, consider the bays for spare tires since they will be empty or mostly empty.  Much easier to access from a bay.  I've got a steel spare and I place it in the spare tire compartment with a loader.  It's a heavy beast.  BTW, there has been some discussion about fit of a 13R in an MCI spare tire compartment...it will go with room to spare...FWIW.

Best,  JR
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 09:11:15 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Dallas

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2007, 06:59:13 PM »

JR,

I asked, (very humbly) if I could have permission to trek on over to Greer and got the OK.

Give me a call tomorrow. We changed phones and my number is 843.496.9176

The LL should be turned off by now, but there isn't anything hooked up to it anyway!

Dallas
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2007, 07:07:05 PM »

I'll call you tomorrow...tell Cat she's a kind person!
Now where's Huggy Bear?
I've got Ned's address in my laptop...the one T took to work today for a PP presentation...and came back without the power supply. The battery will get it going, but it won't last more than a few minutes...need a new battery.  May need a new power supply too.  Bummer!
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2007, 08:17:41 PM »

Hey what about me!!!  I wanna go!!!!!  I'll take the digital video cam too!  Please!!!

Let'me know when you go kyle and when ya'll come down too, you can park your bus in the yard or driveway! Sat would be better for me. Nuthin like a trip to Sugar Tit!!  well your almost there anyway.

I looked at an 8 from that rvsforless fellow before i bought my 9, he was nice and the 8 was nice but a little too rusty for my liking.  There is an rv parts/service place next door to him.  an DD/alison place is close by (you'll pass it) and international truck place an exit up past the airport, and 101 is near the airport too, and T/A up one more exit past 101 with scales and used to have a place close by that polished stainless(not sure if it's still there).  

If you would like to pay some one for a report, call Juan at Deltaways and he used to do such and is known around here for 2-strokes amongst bus people.  Also Johnny or Robby (brothers) over at Jeanes Bus and they might help you out.

How bout posting a link and/or  pics?    

Congrats and I hope this works out for you!

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: