Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 08:51:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I bought a used bus Now What?  (Read 7800 times)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2007, 07:24:18 AM »

For those visiting our little town, the BMW plant is a neat place to tour

http://www.bmwzentrum.com/information/tour_times.asp

If you don't take the plant tour, the Zentrum museum was worthwhile to see.

Jerry, according to Lonnie (the salesman), the local DD place said the motor was 'turned up to almost max HP'. So for a mechanical 8V92T wouldn't that be 475hp?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Dallas

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2007, 08:21:53 AM »

Jerry, Contact me off the board about service manuals.

Dallas
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2007, 09:26:58 AM »

Kyle,    Lonnie didn't tell me that but glad to hear it and yes usually they can run up to 475 HP and in industrial use up to 600 HP. I guess you and jon thought it had enough power. Dallas , you can send me an e mail . (see profile)  The first thing on the agenda is getting the bus home and selling the Allegro bus RV I now have. Guess I will put it on ebay or consign to a local lot at home. Of course I got to get it home too as I have been Yuma all winter from Nov 1. 1200 miles home over the high desert of nevada. I will be leaving on 2-22 and shud make it by 2-24. During the trip I run out of cell service through most of nevada and of course when I take down the starband dish I won't have internet till I set it up at home.  I have 40 foot garage at home so will have to add a couple of feet to get that bus in plusd it  holds a couple of other vehicles too. I also have a shop with one garage bay on my 2.5 acres in the desrt of Oregon.    Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2007, 10:49:52 AM »

Jerry,

I was looking on the video and the right front was a 22.5, --it was hard to tell on the other tires while we were doing those 8o ft donuts Grin Cheesy

Email me your mailing adress and i'll stick the video on a cd and send it.

Maybe you could drive the allegro out and lonnie could consign it or there's also the nations largest RV auction down the street from him.

Gotta run

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2007, 12:05:37 PM »

I think the airline ticket would be cheaper than the fuel to get the MH there. The cost of fuel to get the MCI home is gonna be big too at I guess 6 mpg. May have to take out a bigger morgtage on my place.

Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2007, 05:28:12 PM »

My guess would be about $2K for fuel to Oregon.  An 8V92 that is driven with a heavy foot can get down into the 4 MPG range.  It may see 6 MPG if driven conservatively.    Screaming up those hills has its costs.  Wink 
Jon or Kyle, where is the bus located relative to the Beemer plant and I-85?  I googled the address and came up with a location north of Greer?  Sat image shows a farmhouse on the site?? 
I may have used an incorrect address.   
See everyone tomorrow...plan to pick up Uncle Ned about 10 and we'll be right down.  Not that far to drive.    JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Dallas

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2007, 05:45:25 PM »

Well, Guys, it doesn't look like I'm gonna make it.

The manager and Cat got into an argument the other night and he's threatening to have the bus towed. I need to stay here and shoot the old coarse type file if he tries it.

Dammm, I love stress!

Dallas
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2007, 05:52:02 PM »

Bummer  Sad      Hope you get things worked out.   Sounds like time is near to get the old bus fired up and exercised.   
Highly unlikely that the campground will remain as it is once sold. 
New owners may be rather oddly abrasive too.
Best, JR 

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2007, 07:23:12 PM »

JR,  coming south on 85  you'll want to take HWY 101 exit 60 on mapquest and turn left to go to the bus and turn right to go to BMW it'll be the next left and there is bus parking. 

to go to the bus, go back across the bridge and get and you'll pass the detroit dieselalison place on the left and keep going bout a mile or so then you'll see the RichardsRV on the left and RVforless will be the next place, you'll see the rv's. 

If you see the 80 ft donut we left you've gone to far, but if they let you drive it then try it, it's a blast in someone elses bus. Cheesy Wink  ok that's enuff teasing jerry, i'll stop Roll Eyes

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2007, 07:32:59 PM »

Thanks for the info Jon.  I'll find it now.  I put the address into Google maps and it placed the bus up north of Greer.  Somehow that didn't seem quite right.  Glad it's not! 
Doubt that I'll drive the bus.  May start it.  Ya'll have already ruled out driving issues.  Just peek around and see what we see... Roll Eyes
Too bad Dallas won't be able to make the trip...he's a good Detroit dude.  I'll post my impressions tomorrow evening. 
Are we gonna see you tomorrow?  Gotta eat somewhere!
We'll be up there around 11 or 12. 
Thanks again, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2007, 07:35:20 PM »

What NewbeeMC9 said.

Jon, you need to stop stretching the truth. You weren't able to finish the donut! Besides, it looked to me it was going to be a 70 ft donut if that ditch hadn't stopped the bus so abruptly. They got it out this morning & I'll bet Jr won't be able to tell.
LOL

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2007, 07:47:45 PM »

Well, had a very nice day for surveying a bus today.   
Jerry's bus has a lot of potential, I'd like to have it.   Gonna take a good bit of TLC to make nice, but as Kyle said, the sides are straight, no curbs in bay floors or doors.   Doesn't appear to be beat up...but the bus has been unloved for a while.  Cry
Going to need tires before I'd drive it....anywhere.  The previous owner apparently scrounged up whatever wheel and tire assemblies they could find to get what was probably good rubber off the bus. 
Biggest problem noted was major rust issue above the blower compartment.   That's gonna have to be fixed.   Big holes into the rear cap floor area.  May leak enough air to cause heating problems.
The rear cap will have to be removed and the steel that forms the lower floor and outer perimeter of the upper blower blower box will to be replaced.  Good time for an R&M cap (good time for some of them shiney "Budd-lite" or Alcoa wheels too).  Jerry lives right near R&M too.  No huge shipping costs! 
The HVAC filter door is open, don't know if the filter is still in place, but the door should be closed up before driving the bus.  Pull in battery gasses thru the heater from that compartment.  The underside of the bus, including the battery compartment is in good condition. 
The temp guage shows 150*...max.  May be missing thermostats, or guage or sender doesn't work...or all of the above.   
Tires, brakes, belt, general service, and it oughta make it back to the Left Coast without too much issue. 
No jakes or retarder.   
8V92TA MUI should be a rocket on the highway.   Trans is HT740.
Met up with Jon at the RV dealership and we had a great lunch!  Smiley
Jerry, I wish you success with your bus. 
Best, JR

BTW, Jon or Kyle, if one of ya'll are back over near the bus, would you look at the hubs and see what type lugs it has?   Flange nuts or acorns?  Or some combo of both.  Wondering if the bus has hub or stud piloted wheels.  If it has Budd style lugs on the drive axle it's a stud piloted wheel.  Jerry may want this info and I was derelict in not looking!   

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2007, 05:22:32 AM »

The inside drive tires looked OK. I'll bet someone took alcoas off & put on junk to hold it off the ground.

That is a great point JR about the wheels, but I'd go one step further. I'd have a good tire service center look at it as the tire swapping dude may not have had the correct nuts & used whatever he had. He may also have put the wrong rims on too.

Sorry 'bout missing lunch . . .

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: