Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 03:40:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the worst road you have taken your coach down?  (Read 2891 times)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 09:06:20 PM »

My driveway, 7/10ths of a mile, very steep and on the side of a cliff; it’s about as close to bus four wheeling as I want to get. I was worried that it would roast my V730 but the oil analysis came back in the good range. My FedEx driver tries to use the excuse that my driveway is impassable so he won’t have to deliver to my house. I called his supervisor and asked if they could get their delivery vehicles anywhere a “Greyhound bus” could go. Well the answer was an obvious “yes”.  I explained that if his driver would quit being a lazy, sorry a$$, he would had discovered a bus sitting in front of my house. He still cries like a little baby, but I pay for deliveries to my door and I don’t accept anything less.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 03:50:13 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
JerryH

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 04:54:10 AM »

After reading Bob's ordeal ... I have nothing to share now.  Yeah, been on some tight roads, low branches, bad conditions, etc., etc., etc. ... but nothing like that.  Linda (wifie) freaks and does a death grip on her seat when we get on small, limited access roads in center city driving -- she'd pass out in that situation.

Jerry H.
ChuckMC9

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 10:20:16 AM »

Hey Sean - after all the times you've mentioned your videos on your blog only now have I taken the time to check one out. They are *great*! You (or Louise's) titling and music selections are highly entertaining. She seengs bueno con Opel la perro, no? Smiley

And Brian, you held back a little I remember your adventure on a challenging road a few years ago...
http://home.earthlink.net/~diehls0792/BusSection5.html
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 11:58:14 AM »

And Brian, you held back a little I remember your adventure on a challenging road a few years ago...
http://http://home.earthlink.net/~diehls0792/BusSection5.html

Yeah Chuck, I just couldn't compete with the "bus sliding off the cliff" story!  My adventure pales next to sliding off a cliff!
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 03:29:18 PM »

I suppose the worst I've seen was the pipeline road north of Fairbanks and the Top of the World highway from Tok up through Chicken and down into Dawson City, Yukon Territory. We went up about 200 miles of the pipeline road. It's not a bad road. Rough in places. Slow for the most part. But the hills are a bit steeper than anything I've encountered on paved highway. The TOTW highway was a good road, but damn dusty. We were hoping for rain, and had it part of the way, which really made a mess of things.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 06:19:34 PM »

I didn't have a coach at the time, but I came down over Mexican Hat ( I think Utah )in my Travco. My 12 year old stayed in the bathroom. As you start down there is a smashed up auto over the bank. They advise no trailers or RVs but it was short cut. Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 11:00:37 AM »

You guys must have watch the Robin Williams move "RV" and tried to imitate.  Grin

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 06:51:29 AM »

The Canadian highway system! (I live in Cdn)

What bugs me is the billions of $$ the federal and provincial governments collect in fuel taxes and don't put back on the hways in maintenance. A shameful disgrace!

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 08:07:56 AM »

Worst road I've taken with a bus?  Back in the 80's I took my superior 40' pusher to a musical gathering called Lark in the Morning.  It was held somewhere out in the redwoods of Northern California.  I was "told" that it would be easy for me to get in.  In fact it was about 20 miles of switchback dirt fire-road up a mountain, full of washes, potholes etc.  I probably bottomed out 20 times, barely made it around some of the curves, and as soon as I got even a little bit in I realized I was screwed because there was absolutely no way to turn around, and also without a camera, probably no way to back up.  So I forged ahead with fingers crossed and sphincter tight.  Very tight.
  Finally I actually got there, and managed to find a little meadow in which to park that was barely big enough to turn around in... I was saved... well until time to leave a few days later and I discovered that my hydraulic clutch cylinder had sprung a leak and now I don't have a clutch...
 So I managed to get her moving in first gear and barely managed to drive out, still in first gear and stuck there all the way.  When I at last got to the paved road I could finally do clutchless shifting and get home, but man that was a hairy road. 

Hence my current busses, the Crown and Bluebird, that very purposely were bought because of their high-ground clearance.  I'll NEVER ave a bus as close to the ground as that Superior was !!!

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: