Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 03:21:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT: Wanna buy a campground?  (Read 10953 times)
Dallas

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2007, 04:04:33 AM »

John,
The large warehouse on the east side of the interstate belongs to Ard Trucking. It is a major transhipment/transloading center for their operation.

By the way, that property also belonged to Lockhart up until about 8 years ago. The property between the warehouse and Hwy 403 still belongs to him and has a motel which leases some of the property from him.

Another problem with putting truckstops here is that this is all part of one large swamp.
I'm not saying that they won't put one here, but it'll cost them to make it stable enough to have heavy traffic on it all the time.

There is property behind the fuelstop on the SE side of 403/95 that is high, dry, and for sale.
The property 9situated between 95 and the fuel stop0, that Lockhart uses right now use to be a truckstop. He just had the old fuel tanks pulled out of the ground last summer.
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2007, 05:06:02 AM »

Ross is right.  There is no way 50 owners (at 1K a piece) will work.  The only way to do it would be to set up a corporation and have shareholders.  First off, 50 owners cannot "own a campsite".  There are more owners than campsites.  Unless the whole campground is revamped, there's only 35 sites, so do the math, 50 owners could not own or retire to their particular site.  I think the original idea was to buy the campground, perhaps make some improvements, and continue to market it as a viable place for others to go camping at; and perhaps an occasional stop over by the "owner busnuts" if travelling.

We already tried our hand at a campground association.  Trust me, they don't work.  Yes, there was elected officials to be "the board" and everything was done in THEIR best interest.  There were old people who didn't want kids in the place, dirt bikes on the designated track, and there were young people who didn't want bingo and ice cream socials.  We also had problems with a particular owner who invited 10 friends up with him every weekend; they drank all night, and raced their cars around the campground.  It ended one night after one of the kids crashed his car and the state police had to be brought in.  Before that, nothing could be done to stop them, because HE OWNED his site.  The dues and maintenance fees tripled in three years due to the mismanagement and it was VERY hard for the "common person" to do anything about it other than go to a board meeting and speak your mind.  Also, the township had regulations about how long you could stay at the campground for tax purposes, so it remained taxed as a campground - not a permanent residence, "seasonal" was 180 days - so retiring there wouldn't work, because now it's a residence, and should be taxed accordingly.  (Of course, we had retirees who were friends of board members that got away with it!)  It was ridiculous and we got out.  So, all in all, what we're trying so say is, if you want to buy it, keep it a campground - not an association where somebody going to be dissatisfied.

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
John E. Smith

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2007, 08:16:08 AM »

We already tried our hand at a campground association.  Trust me, they don't work.  Yes, there was elected officials to be "the board" and everything was done in THEIR best interest.  There were old people who didn't want kids in the place, dirt bikes on the designated track, and there were young people who didn't want bingo and ice cream socials.  We also had problems with a particular owner who invited 10 friends up with him every weekend; they drank all night, and raced their cars around the campground.  It ended one night after one of the kids crashed his car and the state police had to be brought in.  Before that, nothing could be done to stop them, because HE OWNED his site.  The dues and maintenance fees tripled in three years due to the mismanagement and it was VERY hard for the "common person" to do anything about it other than go to a board meeting and speak your mind.

Hmmmmnnnn -- sounds like the SKP Coop Campground in Lakewood, NM!  That is exactly what I meant in my earlier post about coop campgrounds!  They don't work.

John E. Smith
crazycraig

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2007, 07:44:52 AM »

Do you have the land info for the property,its a beautiful place,with the lake .Is it a tax auction? crazy craig
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2007, 12:40:17 PM »

No, it is not a tax auction.  The owner is land rich and cash poor and is selling the campground, property across the road and property on the other side of the freeway, along with lots of other small properties in Florence County.  I am not sure of the actual size of the campground property but it would be a good purchase for someone willing to put some work and advertising into it.  You can give Dallas a call and he can give you what few other details we know as well as the owners name and the auctioneer company name and phone numbers for both.  Cat

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2007, 09:55:49 AM »

I am a lil late in my $.02 worth but, I think the idea of something like Capt Ron was talking about is a great idea for us as a group. Ownership in a lot, and using it like a time share and renting it out when not in use by the owner.Why not see if there is intrest in some other vacant land in some other area that may be zoned for this type of setup and look around at our convienance, rather that then a deadline of an auction. WE could own it and do with it as WE please. Using a board of directors or elected group to make the day to day decisions as far as running it. Vacant land is available in a lot of places off I-95 that might be interesting if this one falls through.
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2007, 12:49:51 PM »

I was given a bit more information about the sale today.  It is supposed to be scheduled for the 2nd week in April (no exact date known) and it is very, very possible that it IS a tax auction.  Cat

bounder

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2010, 08:24:38 PM »

I just joined here and me and my wife have actually been considering buying a campground and living in it. we have about 100k to spend How possible is it if people here do not buy into this idea .We just returned from staying in boyds in key west a month and did aa bit of boondocking off of 95 there and back.We have family in fl and virginia beach so that location would be great and we now own a home here in ct.Campgounds ive been lookinginto have been ranging from 400-500k and up.Sounds like a great idea of buying it in a group but there would have to be some management involved along with a board to keep the taxes,electric,and water related exxpenses in check.
bounder

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2010, 08:28:08 PM »

i'm new just saw the date on the post duh sorry about that
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2010, 08:31:02 PM »

actually, between then and now... it just might be affordable?

Welcome to the hobby!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2010, 02:23:22 AM »

To further BW's point,

In this real estate market, it may have not sold !!! 

Welcome & Have a Great Day.

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2010, 05:30:21 AM »

The campground is still for sale.  At the rally we just had one of the owners tried to talk a bus nut in to buying it.  I don't know what they want for it but if you want to PM me or email me at my addy on my profile I'll give you the phone number of the Real Estate office handling the deal.

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2010, 06:22:30 AM »

Quote from: bubbaqgal
The campground is still for sale.  At the rally we just had one of the owners tried to talk a bus nut in to buying it.  I don't know what they want for it but if you want to PM me or email me at my addy on my profile I'll give you the phone number of the Real Estate office handling the deal.

CAT I think you may have your campgrounds mixed up. Here is the info at the beginning of this thread.

Quote from: bubbaqgal
OT: Wanna buy a campground?
on: February 08, 2007, 09:48:50 PM

Is there anyone or group of busnuts that want to buy a campground?   Lake Honeydew Campground is being auctioned off next month.  One of the busnuts here suggested that maybe some of you would like to go in together and purchase the campground, do some work on it and have a campground and a haven for busnuts to stop at when traveling.  Right now Dallas and I are trying to find some other place to hold our Timmonsville Rally in May.  If the new owner does not keep this as a campground we will not be able to hold it here.  Right now I know of 1 person that wants to look into buying it and 1 other person that would love to go in with others to make a group purchase.  If anyone is interested, just let us know.  Cat

Also do I see a pattern developing here?
Nah, couldn't be. Wink
Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:24:25 AM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2010, 06:48:37 AM »

Here is the Timmonsville SC Honeydew Lake Campground:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&q=2028+Cale+Yarborough+Highway+Timmonsville,+South+Carolina+29161&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=2028+Cale+Yarborough+Hwy,+Timmonsville,+SC+29161,+USA&gl=ca&ei=pjmeS_7HDIH98Abr7-C6Cg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAwQ8gEwAA

I love GoogleMaps   Cheesy

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2010, 07:02:07 AM »

Sorry about that.  The campground where we work has been for sale for a couple of years now and I guess my brain is focusing on that one.  This campground is many times better than the one in Timmonsville was.  I didn't mean to get anyone else as confused as I am.  Cheesy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: