Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 23, 2014, 12:07:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where Do I Put MY Harley-Davidson  (Read 3784 times)
matsuchuck

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2007, 05:53:49 PM »

I Just Bought A 94 MCI 102D MY First Step IS To Find A Place For MY Full Dresser H-D. Anyone Know Of Pictures Of Bikes Mounted In The Side Of A Bus Down Low Or A Way To Make A Garage In The Rear With A Lift Gate?Huh
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 06:44:23 PM »

Not aware of any pix of lift gate for a bike. 
However, if you had a wheelchair lift, perhaps you could use that to lift the bike to floor height.  You could install a modified WCL. 
Lifts are typically removed when a bus is converted.   A wheelchair lift would have to be strengthened to handle the 800 lb scoot, but lifts are designed to be used above the rear bay. And some are designed to specifically hide in the side of a 102D.  The engineering is done.
BTW, nice bus!  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 07:49:13 AM »

This device was recently brought to my attention. It might warrant a second look for carrying a motorcycle.

http://www.idahotote.com/
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 08:44:45 AM »

Will the bike fit in the bay?  I have seen where someone hinged the bay floor so it would drop to the ground, forming a ramp. Then they used hydraulic cylinders to raise it back up.

Len
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 11:48:57 AM by Len Silva » Logged

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 08:48:51 AM »

Hi matsuchuck,

Welcome!

I think I posted theese before but, here you go..

Nick Badame

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 11:43:03 AM »

Contrary to what everyone has posted already it is impossible to carry your Harley with you.  I will generously offer to store it for you for a nominal fee which will include regular exercising of the bike.  You can contact me offline but hurry - such a generous offer as this is not likely to last long.

Grin  Grin   Grin  Grin   Grin  Grin   Grin  Grin   Grin  Grin   Grin  Grin 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 12:50:46 PM »

Bob,
  'Not sure he's gonna bite!!   Grin Grin Grin

I have a '46 knuckle on a '69 swing arm with apes. If I drop my apes down the dog bones just fit. Cheesy   Yeeeeaaaah baby!!! She also rides on 16" wheels and short shocks in the back. The wide glide is about 2" over. Garbage barge fenders.   
   But I have to put it in on an angle. I'm going to fab an aluminum channel like a short  "H" so I can strap it down and then slide it up and in. Then lock it down. Should be the hot ticket.

The only way to fly,
                Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 02:59:49 PM »

Cripes it is a harley,,, they are made to ride in trailers and the back of pickups! Get a small trailer!  Grin

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
DebDav

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 03:38:44 PM »

www.overbiltlifts.com
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 06:53:20 AM »

Contrary to what everyone has posted already it is impossible to carry your Harley with you.  I will generously offer to store it for you for a nominal fee which will include regular exercising of the bike.  You can contact me offline but hurry - such a generous offer as this is not likely to last long.
 Grin  Grin   Grin  Grin   Grin  Grin   Grin  Grin   Grin  Grin   Grin  Grin 

Bob that is a very generous offer! But I can make a better one! Ya see yer to far north for the bike to be comfortable yr round! So I'd be willing to keep it here in a nice climate controled garage for free just keep the tags & insurance up to date. Oh yeah be sure when ya bring it back in for storage the fuel tank is full too! 
BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 07:19:32 AM »

Cripes it is a harley,,, they are made to ride in trailers and the back of pickups! Get a small trailer! 

But draggin a trailer BITES!!!!  Tongue Especially if ya don't have to.

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 07:29:48 AM »

Bob that is a very generous offer! But I can make a better one! Ya see yer to far north for the bike to be comfortable yr round! So I'd be willing to keep it here in a nice climate controled garage for free just keep the tags & insurance up to date. Oh yeah be sure when ya bring it back in for storage the fuel tank is full too! 
BK  Grin

I'm afraid he's not likely to take either of us up on our very generous offers.  I think he is ungrateful.   Cheesy

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 08:13:47 AM »

Personally- that Idahotote seems like a great idea.  Since you can back it and is essentially just an extension of the bus disguised as a trailer, it would make for the least amount of stress on the back engine frame.  I would think that having a hydraulic lift would put alot of stress on the rear of the bus with close to 1000lb cantelevered off the back.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 10:26:11 AM »

A friend of mine was looking at them in Quartzite last week of January and was quite impressed. Big problem is the price - approaching $4k.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 10:30:28 AM »

NOt to mention that most of our buses leave a kiss of oil on the back.  Not fun cleaning those things, rather be riding.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 10:48:59 AM »

Bear in mind that either the Idaho Tote (or any of its various competitors) or the Overbilt lift (and its competitors) will add to your single-vehicle length (as opposed to a real trailer, which only adds to your combination length).

Many states restrict single vehicles to 45'.  If I recall correctly (from a giant discussion of the 48' Neoplan Megaliners that are kicking around the country), there are only seven states with limits over 45'.  Of course those states are not contiguous.

If you have a 40' coach, an Overbilt will be fine, but you're pushing your luck with some of the axle-supported extensions (I could not find the length of the Idaho unit on their site).  If you have a 45' coach, even a lift puts you over the limit in many jurisdictions.  In between, YMMV.

If you live in California, you need a special license to drive a rig over 40', so that may also be a factor.  Also, rigs over 40' are restricted to certain routes in CA (no matter what state the rig is registered in).  So forget about doing, for example, the coast highway if you have a 40' coach with a lift on the back.  FWIW.

BTW, we keep our two motorcycles in the front bay.  Out of the elements, out of sight of potential thieves or vandals, and keeping our total length to 39'5".

-Sean

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 12:23:32 PM »

Sean,
  What kind of bikes do you ride?? My Harley is -for all intents and purposes- 8' long. I will have to angle it in one of my big bays to get it in the bus. But as you illuded to, it's worth it.
  Jim mentioned a "Kiss of oil".............  LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that waht you call a "kiss"Huh? I would classify that as a big, long, juicy, wet ...................................... you get the point!! LOLOL Grin
  But having the bike in the bus really is the ticket.

havin fun on two and 6 wheels,
                 Chaz

H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 02:44:28 PM »

Chaz,
Now it's my turn to LMAO!  "Big, long, juicy, wet ............."

I guess kiss was kind of a euphemism to say the least.  I was trying to be polite.  I know mine sure leaks, spits, hawks more than I'd like, and no way would I want to clean that off a bike, its bad enough off the back and sides of the bus.

Sean, you make good points about length, although with my 41 footer, I've never been stopped or looked at cross-eyed.  I did drive the california coast and that section from Big Sur to Hearst castle is not one I think I want to drive again in the bus.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 04:20:12 PM »

I Just Bought A 94 MCI 102D MY First Step IS To Find A Place For MY Full Dresser H-D. Anyone Know Of Pictures Of Bikes Mounted In The Side Of A Bus Down Low Or A Way To Make A Garage In The Rear With A Lift Gate?Huh
>
Looks like you need one of these buses, just make the whole top bike storage and your friends will want to come along.lol

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »

Chaz,

You're not going to like my answer:

We used to ride big touring bikes.  I had a Honda GL1800 (Gold Wing) and my wife had a Honda ST1100 sport tourer.  When we got the bus, we measured the bay, and then set out to find bikes that would fit, but still meet our criteria: fun, fast, able to support an all-day or even a weekend touring ride.  We ended up with a pair of Suzuki SV650s.  These are real houligan bikes -- they'll wheelie if you look at them cross-eyed, with great power-to-weight.  At only 365 lbs, they are easy to wheel in and out of the bay.  And, best, two of them fit nicely into our bay, which is 5' wide and 43" tall.  We just have to take off the mirrors, and the aftermarket windscreens we bought for them.

We miss our big tourers, but everything is a trade-off.  We were unwilling to add a trailer to our traveling equation just to have the bigger bikes.  You will need to make a similar decision.  The Harley will necessitate a trailer, a lift, or extensive truss modifications to get it in the bay.  I've seen one large coach where this was done, and, to be honest, I would not be comfortable driving the coach -- they cut floor trusses out to do it, and who knows where those loads have been transferred on the structure.

FWIW.

-Sean

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 07:07:17 AM »

Sean,
   I just wrote a nice long letter and then hit the wrong  #$^@&@@$@^#&#^key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think it appropriate to write what I said. (after 4 years in the NAVY, I can get rather creative!!)
   Anyway, bottom line, I like Harleys................. but I am also a Chevy man. It's a matter of preference. (ever seen a '46 Honda, etc.?)  Grin I'm also a retired Motorcycle Safety Instructor so I can appreciate all 2 wheelers.
  My Knuckle can fit in my bay, but I have to angle it once it's in there. It will also be on an aluminum channel so the weight distribution will be good also.
  Good thing I only have to contend with one bike, or I would have to use my trailer. The only thing I have to do is lower my handle bars.
   Maybe we can hook up sometime for a ride. The "Dragon's Tail" (Deal's Gap N.C.) is a fantastic area for ridin. If you haven't, you need to.

Have a great one!
   Keep the rubber side down,
      Chaz

Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 09:46:52 AM »

Chaz,

No disrespect meant on the Harley -- I had an FXRP for a couple years myself.  I'm only saying that having a bike that large is a trade-off; it makes fitting it in the bay (and probably the process of loading and unloading it) that much more difficult.

I did the MSF thing myself, teaching both Basic and Experienced RiderCourses for nine years, before they changed the curriculum a few years ago.  And yes, we've ridden the Dragon, which was beautiful and fun, but I thought a bit overhyped (spend a week or so riding the back roads of the Sierra Nevadas, or even the Santa Cruz mountains, and you'll know what I mean...).

Always up for a ride, if we ever find ourselves in the same place at the same time  Smiley

-Sean

DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 10:57:08 AM »

My friend with a Harley puts hers in the shop, mostly.   Grin  The silliest things break down on it.  I have a similar question of where do I put my Yamaha?  It's hard to beat Japanese machinery, but I've heard Harley's have much better reliability lately.  I was planning on an enclosed trailer, but for the cost of a decent new one, I can almost buy a used van.  Two bikes will fit in it, it'll add next to no weight on rear of the bus, and it'll give me a vehicle for when the weather's not nice enough (or the location's not nice) to ride our bikes.  An axle disconnect, tow bar mounts, lights, and brakes should be all that I need.  Anyway, that's my plan, whenever I get to the point of actually using the bus enough to warrant any sort of toad vehicle.

David
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 11:04:28 AM »

I have a similar question of where do I put my Yamaha?

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin .......................... naaaaaah. Roll Eyes

John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 11:15:47 AM »

David, not a bad solution to the towing question. I too used to ride harleys for quite a few years. In 1998 after swapping bikes on several long rides with my friends, i discovered how much i enjoyed motorcycling. I learned i was just too confined by the harleys poor acceleration, cornering, braking etc. All the things that are so wonderful about bikes were lacking on my harleys. Although i still have a soft spot in my heart for my last one, a turquoise and cream Heriatage, i would never own another one. I too am spoiled by the japanese and european bikes. Everything is there that you could ask for in a bike. I have my eye on the new Guzzi Norge! Plus you won't see half a dozen of them parked in front of every bar. A friend has fixed up a nice little tow trailer for his bikes. Carries too bikes with a hanging closet for all of their riding gear, plus a work bench and tools for doing simple maintenance. All locked up and secure. But towing a van like you suggest is neat, as it not onjly carries the bike, but gives you a vehicle to use while the bus is parked!

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 12:23:21 PM »

An enclosed trailer is the best idea.  Other than buying a coach such as a Neoplan or H3, with their huge bays, a heavy bike ain't going into an MCI bus without a ton of engineering.
A full sized motorcycle won't go into a van either (assuming your talking about something like a reg Chevy or Ford van).  A cube van would work.   We use a 1 ton Ford Econoline and often have to loosen and pull the handlebars down to get dirtbikes inside the van.  We also have a 20' enclosed trailer which works great for moving one big motorcycle.  Maybe a 16' would work better behind a bus.
Low bar sportbikes would go into the van, but it's a PITA.   No large cruiser style scoot with a windshield and high handlebars (even stock) will fit into a van.
Use the motorcycle for a toad.   Or, get a pickup for a toad and put the scoot in the pickup bed. 
Good possibility that any Harley hanging on the back of a bus is gonna get stolen. If you can see it, someone's gonna steal it at a stoplight or whatever.  Plus it'll stay crummy unlesss covered, and the cover will beat it up. 
Another issue with vans is towability.  Most are not towable 4 down.  I've got an AWD Astro Van that we installed an NP231transfer case in place of the BW AWD unit.  It's towable now.  If I wanted to.  Even an Astro weighs over 4K lbs...
Loading a  big motorcycle into a pickup is a chore...loading into an enclosed trailer with a drop-down tailgate is too easy.  And it's locked up, alarmed, and the bike stays clean.
One of the coolest toys on the market in the heavy speed cruisers is the Suz ME109.  Big V twin.  Faster than a V-Rod, very cool looking.  Big ole 240 rear tire.   
If anyone needs anything related to a Suz, Yam, or Kaw, let me know.  We're a dealer for those brands.

Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 01:31:19 PM »

You guy's are making me think.....  Look out when I get thinking! Huh

It sounds like the most pratical solution for toteing a pair of cycles is in the back of a "Pick-up Toad".

Think... Think...  Bus, toad, and 2 bikes. It sound like I would still have room in the bus for camping gear.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »

Nick,
  What kind of bikes are you putting in there? They would have to be pretty small.

Chaz

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 03:05:55 PM »

Two V twins, without tour accessories will fit in a full-sized, long bed. pickup if one is faced forward and the other faces the tailgate.  The "backwards" bike is a major PITA to load. 
Items such as floorboards, saddlebags, crash bars, and highway bars would all be in the way....they would interfere with fender wells and the other bike.   
This wouldn't work with 4 cyl bikes at all.  Neither would it work with extended front ends...typical of manufactured choppers.  Gotta shut the tailgate. 
For a few big ones, one can buy an automatic ramp that will allow one person to load a pretty good sized motorcycle into a pickup.  The device uses up the pickup bed and is in the way when not hauling a scoot. 
Farmers use flat-bed bodied pickups.  The bed is a couple inches higher than a pickup, but it has a big flat bed.  Comes in 4X4 for towing 4 down.  One could safely tie down a couple big Harleys onto the 8" wide bed.
More idle thoughts.. JR Wink

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 05:10:26 PM »

They may "fit", but are you kiddin me??? You talk about a TOTAL PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Shocked There's no way I would put my scoot in a truck with another hawg. That's askin for problems. Undecided Maybe if it was a "rat", but it isn't and I don' have a way to "air drop" it in. Wink Not to mention take it out.  Shocked
  I have done some pretty crazy stuff, seen some pretty crazy stuff and definitely like to push the envelope, but I'd have to take a pass on that.
  But for the record, I would love to see it, and see it done. Hell, I'd even help!!!! I love helping!!!!

Guess I haven't seen it all yet, but I'm lookin,
            Chaz

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 06:26:53 PM »

Chaz, come on down to Myrtle Beach end of May...or Daytona in a couple weeks, and you'll see plenty pickups with two bikes in the truck and more on a trailer being pulled by a truck. 
You are right about "asking for problems"...we do estimates and repairs frequently enough related to these "bright" ideas.   
Same as Sean, I ride a Suz 650, but not an SV...a DL.  But don't have any interest in carrying it with me when bussin...however, I've got another idea for a toad (other than my Cherokee and Astro Van).  A Yamaha Rhino 660 with a dealer tag would allow toot'n all over the campground in comfort for two people and the music stuff in the back.  If you had to run down to the store for....say, adult beverages or something, a Rhino can easily run over 60 MPH for several miles.   Set of nice rims and street tires oughta fix it up.  Already has lighting and brake lights, seat belts, roll cage, big fuel tank.  Neat toy.   Wouldn't be any less safe than a MC.   Sorta like a golf cart from Hell!  Install some sound, bikini top....cup holders.. Wink 
The downside....the trailer (and $9K for the Rhino).  You gotta keep it in a covered trailer or it'll be gone as fast as a Harley.   
An enclosed trailer isn't an issue unless used in "back-in" campsites in campgrounds.  Pull through sites often will accomodate a trailer.  Don't have to unhook.   Unlike a motorcyle...a Rhino, with it's 2" hitch receiver,  will hook up to the trailer and park it if necessary.  Some coach owners never go into campgrounds...they wouldn't have a problem with a trailer.   
Waiting to see what Matsuchuck uses to tx the HD...?  Sorry about hijacking your thread...with about 30* outside...life's a little slow.  Just cannot wait for some Global Warming!   Smiley
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: