Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 07:05:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Window treatment  (Read 2464 times)
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2007, 06:38:09 PM »

My goal for my coach is to have it look like its old classic self from the outside, and to have a nice modern comfortable conversion on the inside. My question tonight is about the windows. The middle section of windows are not going to be visible from the inside. I want to seal them up to be water and wind proof. Any ideas as to what will work there? After sealing, i will insulate, put up a vapor barrier and then my interior wall. From the outside, i want these windows to appear as normal as possible. What treatments have others given to their windows to accomplish this? I thought maybe leaving a slight gap on the inside between the glass and a fake curtain might work, but wonder if any of you have done this already and know what works. And this spring, those roof air units HAVE to go!

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 06:47:17 PM »

JOhn, My 04 has all it's windows and a few are not visible from the inside......all cabinetry was cut so the OEM Emergency release work and the back sides of the cabinetry is painted Black.  can see if you are standing at the window looking in but hardly otherwise.

in the phot shown the third window and small D window forward of the E door are comnplete obscured from the inside.

Doing what you are siggesting may prove to be an issue if you ever need to replace that glass
bigtim44

Red buses go faster!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 08:43:43 PM »

The guys that do window tint film on cars and limo's and stuff like that have a window film which is completely black,ie you cannot see through it.From the outside the window will appear completely dark.
Just an idea!
Tim
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 10:31:58 PM by bigtim44 » Logged

Basalt Colorado
1986 TMC 102A3,6V92,Auto 740,conversion in progress.
http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/
John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 09:04:19 PM »

Thanks guys, a couple good ideas. I may have to experiment with both types to see which look i prefer.

Doug, i am not too worried about not having the emergency exit on those couple windows. It is no different than skinning them over. The breakage idea is valid though. I may have to construct the interior wall units to be able to be unbolted for removal.

www.silverbrook-mn.com

captain ron

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 09:13:31 PM »

Instead of using window tint use black spray paint that is formulated for glass and plastic. I used it on my old bus and it looks good. available at any hardware store or home improvement store.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 10:25:29 PM »

If a window that is covered by built in furniture gets broken, won't it be hard to replace the window?  Why not replace the glass in the window frame with metal plate that is painted a high gloss black (like base/clear coat).  Then you'll have the look without the worry of a broken pane of glass that's behind a cabinet.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 04:23:25 AM »

Tom, on mine there is a small 1/4 circle cutout for the OEM Emergency window release, this is filled with a foam piece so it looks  continuous...... this allows the window to be released ( they are hinged at the top and release at the bottom)

At this point the glass can easily be removed. for repair/replacement.......as an added bonus, I can get to the baqck of the fridge without pulling the fridge out..

I also have the back of the closet as a removable pannel to alow for access to the small D window

Although window tinting has come far since 20 years ago......it does still deteriorate.  I would still want access to the window so it could be replaced if Necc.
John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 06:57:19 AM »

Doug, now i understand what you were saying about keeping access to the windows. I agree. It will be easy enough to allow access to the emergency release. Capt, i will add that paint to the list of treatments to compare and see which look i like the best. Just need it to warm up a bit when i return home. This trip has really pointed out how much work i should do on making the old coach more airtight, and wayyy better insulated.

www.silverbrook-mn.com

phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 07:26:11 AM »

Tempered Spandrel is a glass that can be ordered most glass shops. It is the same stuff used buildings with that all glass look, it is used inbetween  floors. It can be had in many colors and is not translucent, for the most part. You  have to specify "full temper" when ordering. There is a blue-green color that matches the stock gm. Perfect for our applications, I think...

Phil Zisakis
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 07:28:22 AM »

Someone had mentioned that they had seen where some one did silloette's (spell?) (silhouette's) in the blacked out window's of people riding in the bus. They said it looked cool!! And since you are trying to keep the outside looking stock.......?  Just a thought. I kinda thought it would be neat.

Keeping the cool factor alive,
           Chaz

spelling correction courtesy of ieSpell
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 10:21:38 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 10:33:54 AM »

The silhouette's you mention were on a restored / modified Mack bus that was in Arcadia this year, it did look really neat. I would bet that there are pictures of the bus in the link to this years Arcadia get together.
JimCallaghan

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 11:49:21 AM »

I'd really like to see it!! I wonder if a person could have some fun with that idea and use window tint film for the look? 
    I may even have to look into that!!!  Roll Eyes Grin

Just gotta be different,
          Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 11:55:39 AM »

For anybody looking for a quick check on spelling you should add this program. It is easy and quick. I personally use it every time I post just to prevent making a stupid or foolish mistake.

http://www.iespell.com/

Richard

Someone had mentioned that they had seen where some one did silloette's (spell?) (silhouette's) in the blacked out window's of people riding in the bus. They said it looked cool!! And since you are trying to keep the outside looking stock.......?  Just a thought. I kinda thought it would be neat.

Keeping the cool factor alive,
           Chaz

spelling correction courtesy of ieSpell

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 02:56:48 PM »

just to prevent making a stupid or foolish mistake.

What you tryin to say?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  Angry       Wink Grin

Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 03:24:39 PM »

"use black spray paint that is formulated for glass and plastic. I used it on my old bus and it looks good."

This may be OK on tempered glass windows, but on laminated glass, painting the inside of the glass black will cause the glass to become so hot that the layers will crack very badly.
Been there and done that and ended up having to paint the outside of the windows with a few coats of the roof insulating paint to cover the dozens of cracks up. Looks OK but nowhere near as good as the black effect did - at first.

JimC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 06:28:25 PM »

Chaz,
The web site would not let me up load the picture of the Mack Bus and attach it I am going to try and attach a link for you to see.
JimCallaghan  (guess I was wrong on loading it)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 06:30:06 PM by JimC » Logged

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 10:00:57 PM »

Some of the best looking classics are the ones that keep the “bus” look. That was a big selling point for me when I bought mine. It is rare to see a classic that looks good “modernized”.  The PO for my bus filmed the windows and just built over them. I haven’t had a problem with them.

I think this 4104 is a good example:

http://home.att.net/~kirbybus1/

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 07:24:27 AM »

Thanx Jim,
   That is cool!!!!! I was imagining shilouette's (sorry, haven't gotten that spelling program yet!!) Wink
   He actually had people painted on the windows. Too funny....... and cool.

Thanx again!!
            Chaz

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: