Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 11:22:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: composting toilet in a bus?  (Read 1579 times)
MC6#95

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2007, 07:35:53 PM »

has any one tried this?
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 09:10:07 PM »

why?

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 10:28:20 PM »

Either composting or incinerating type.  One word- SMELL on the outside of the bus for all your neighbors to enjoy.  Keep it simple-use large tanks (I have a 45 gal black tank that easily goes a week with the two of us), and a simple RV style toilet.  Reliable, simple, no worries.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 06:52:04 AM »

Most composting tiolets need a constant heat source to improve efficiency. This can get expensive while boondocked.

I've used some composting toilets . . . If I have a choice, I won't do that again!  Shocked

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
MC6#95

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 07:07:28 AM »

IF I were to use a composting toilet, my options for my bathroom lay out get allot better.  Right now, to get a straight shot into the tank, it limits my layout.
There are some R/V marine toilets that look pretty good, but before I buy, I am going to stick my nose in the vent to see how it compares to a ripe holding tank.
Just looking at options, and wanted to know if any one had expiriance with one in a bus.
Thanks for your time.   
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 07:17:52 AM »

It is not mandatory to get a straight shot into the holding tank. At least many have posted that as long as there is some slope and no sharp bends everything is fine.
Richard

IF I were to use a composting toilet, my options for my bathroom lay out get allot better.  Right now, to get a straight shot into the tank, it limits my layout.
There are some R/V marine toilets that look pretty good, but before I buy, I am going to stick my nose in the vent to see how it compares to a ripe holding tank.
Just looking at options, and wanted to know if any one had expiriance with one in a bus.
Thanks for your time.   

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 08:51:26 AM »

Your right Richard, I got ours off about 2ft from center, never have any problem, like you said it must be at a angle.

Pete & Jean
               Fantasy

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 09:10:28 AM »

My RV Sealand toilet is on the right side of the bus (bathroom built around the rear door of the transit to have direct access from outside).  My 45 gal black tank is mounted going fore and aft in the center with about a 3ft pipe for the offset.  Granted you have to use a little more water, but it works every time.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 02:41:20 PM »

Hi MC6#95,

Here is some information on SeaLand marine VaccuFlush systems.

This could be another option for your layout.

http://www.dometicsanitation.com/vf.asp

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 04:50:09 PM »

IF your toilet is not directly over the holding tank, it may take a little more water to flush. One RVing trick is to have a special trash can for the paper. It takes lots less water to flush that way.

Just be sure to have as much slope as you can & minimal bends in the plumbing run. Prep the pipe ends to minimize any chance for snags.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 07:35:48 PM »

One RVing trick is to have a special trash can for the paper. It takes lots less water to flush that way.

EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!!  Special trash can my a$$...haz-mat container would be more like it!   Wink
I'll pass on the "save the paper" thingy!  Kyle's been reading Mother Earth News again! Cheesy
Regarding pottie plumbing offsets, I have about 2.5' offset and no problems at all.  I did radius the flow direction of the fittings and pipe so that nothing would snag...as Kyle suggested.   
Don't notice any additional water use....? 
May I suggest setting up a compost pottie in a small environment and see how that goes?  Like maybe in a closet.  That would emulate the conditions in a bus.   
When plumbing the crapper, the KISS method is best.  They are not fun items to repair.  Nor are they fun items to have in disrepair.  Momma ain't gonna like that at all. 
Good luck, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 12:35:57 PM »

JR, just what have you been eating???  Shocked

My parents have logged over 250,000 miles camping in trailers & now in a motor home. The special 'can for paper' follows the principle of "Before it goes in the toilet, you have to eat it". They NEVER EVER have a problem with their holding tanks (blockages or poor draining) & the odor has not been an issue either. They can go longer boondocking on a 20 gal black tank than you could immagine.

But the GREATEST thing about building your own conversion is that you can do it your way!  Grin

And this board allows you to find out about other ideas . . . some good, & some not so good.

Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 12:44:41 PM »

A macerating toilet is the answer if you cannot get the tank near the toilet. You can also get macerating units to go behind regular toilets; either way it completely opens up your options for planning your layout.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 01:15:03 PM »

JR, just what have you been eating???  Shocked

Ummmmm....maybe it's the adult beverages?   Grin
Hey....it cuts down on water use!   Wink

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: