Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 01:20:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Towed questions  (Read 948 times)
ghanson

MC 9

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2007, 08:21:16 PM »

I'm still in the "Get rid of the towed" mode, and have settled on a Yukon, or Tahoe.  Since I already own a couple of suburbans, I'm wondering if that's not good enough.  I've got the thing sitting out on the side of the road, but no takers yet.

The question is, does anyone know the difference in curb (empty) weight between a tahoe and a suburban, say a 1997-99 model?  Why not just use one of the suburans - even though it doesn't match?  I'm guessing it's around 500 pounds.  I took the suburban in question to a scale, and it came out at 5800 empty.  It probably wouldn't make a lot of difference between that and a tahoe.

Thanks for any information.....g

ghanson

MC 9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 08:40:17 PM »

Here is the current lineup - somethings got to give.  We only have three drivers.

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 08:49:57 PM »

I have both a Tahoe and a Suburban. The weight difference is about 500 pounds. Although I towed the Tahoe many thousand miles I would not hesitate in towing the Suburban. I liked the Tahoe because it was 4WD.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:08:34 PM »

purty bus

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
ghanson

MC 9

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 12:52:24 AM »

That's what I thought.  Thanks for the info...

thanks.

ghanson

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 08:04:26 AM »

Personally-would tow whatever is the smallest and lightest.  Why pay for the extra weight?  And yes it does make a difference in fuel mileage, hill climbing, stopping, etc. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
chargePlus

1951 GMC PD4103-125

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 09:53:59 AM »

Here is the current lineup - somethings got to give.  We only have three drivers.

Given the choices for the towed, I'd probably lean towards either the Mercedes or Lincoln, unless you needed the carrying capacity/capability of the 'hoe or 'burb. I wouldn't tow the Sebring because it's a rag-top, and I wouldn't be thrilled about having to spend lot of time trying to clean road grime off the top once I had arrived at my destination. If you go with the Mercedes, you'll probably save about 1000 lbs of towed weight, maybe more.

Cheers,

- John

Sports Car Lover and Bus Nut
1951 GMC PD4103-125 http://www.euliss-uftring.org/DaBus
Sports Car Club of America http://www.ncrscca.com/
Mazda Sports Car Club of NC http://www.msccnc.org/
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 10:23:37 AM »

If everyone would loan you some tow bars you could tow all of them.  That would be something to see.

Good luck Glen.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 10:41:07 AM »

I really do not think that 500 pounds is going to make any appreciable difference in your fuel mileage and it would be so slight that if you worry about that, maybe you should not even be driving the coach at all.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: