Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 07:00:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Braking systems  (Read 3939 times)
rip

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2007, 06:18:55 AM »

After reading about safety issues and most states requiring brakes on tow vehicles,it's time I add one to my toad. The question is which one. Is anyone using the system by M&G Engineering? I like the fact once installed it's easy to use.
             Don 
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 06:41:44 AM »

It looks like it would work about the same as the radmaster air brake unit I use.  I also have NSA ready brake on another vehicle and like it as it is a surge type brake all mechanical.  Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 07:58:38 AM »

If you have a Jake brake on your bus, I highly discourage the use of a surge brake.  Coming down a long grade with the Jake on can put enough force on the towed to engage the surge brakes and burn up the brakes on the towed.  Personally, am going to get the air unit that uses the air from the bus to activate the air cylinder that pushes the brakes pedal on the towed.  It also has a small air tank for break away stopping.  Can't remember the make off hand.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
rip

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 08:52:21 AM »

Tom; That is the unit I am looking at from M&G for the reasons you listed.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 10:48:02 AM »

I think the Brakemaster might be what Tom is referring to. Probably the simplest and least expensive.  The M&G is a bit pricey and won't fit all cars.  You need enough room to extend the master cylinder a couple of inches.

Fred Hobe has a homebuilt system that is very similar to the Brakmaster;
http://users.cwnet.com/~thall/fredhobe3.htm

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 09:29:36 PM »

You might find some information in this link that could be helpful:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=3186.msg28063#msg28063
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:31:29 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
MC7S50

73 MC7 with Series 50 and 10 speed

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 07:38:37 AM »

I have the M&G system on my Subaru Forester.  It works very well.  Also have the breakaway system with the small air tank under the hood. Not too hard to install.  If anyone wants more info, let me know.

John
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 07:59:25 AM »

I have the M&G on my Ford Explorer and works great.  The units can be inter changed with other toads just check with M&G before doing it.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 08:20:48 AM »

Richard- I can appreciate your opinion and experience with the U-Haul equipment.  My thoughts though are that the towed is always running in a vacuum of the bus, so no air resistance.  Coming down a long hill in the bus will not be the same as driving down the hill alone in the car, since the bus eliminates the air resistance.  Hence the towed is going to be pushing on the surge brakes all the way down the hill.  Most cars have all wheel discs that won't make for a smoking brake situation, but personally, would rather just have the jake brake of the bus hold back the whole rig without the extra wear on the toweds brakes.  I want the air brake system on my car mainly for the breakaway feature since the gvw of the bus with the car is within factory tolerances (car and bus is 34,750lb- gvw is 36,000lb).  But-having the towed help out on braking will help with stopping distances too.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Gary W

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 09:17:17 AM »

I have the M&G Engineering system on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, it works great and no equipment to hook up to the brake pedal each time. Just hook up the air line to the Jeep and you are ready to go.

Gary
Denny

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 06:40:15 PM »

I also have the M&G system with the break away.  It is the cleanest and easiest system I have seen.  Several of our firends have the "buddy brake" sytems and they are a real pain.  If you don't charge your battery after a couple of days the buddy brake goes dead and you don't have anything.  A real pain.  With the M&G just hook up the air hose and the break away cable and you are good to go.

Denny
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 06:52:30 PM »

Question....Aside from state laws, are toad brakes really nessessary?  Lets say you have an MC9 with a design GVW of 38,000lbs, a converted weight of 28,000lbs and a toad weighing 5000lbs.  The bus brakes are designed to stop 38,000lbs with a safety factor.  You are stopping 33,000lbs with the toad.  The bus brakes should handle it fine, right?

Reason I ask is that I just bought a Chevy 2500 crew cab that I'll be towing.  It weighs 5700lbs.  Aside from state laws, I figure the bus can handle it fine.  When I was towing the Cherokee, I couldn't tell any braking difference with or without the toad.

Ross
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 07:06:39 PM »

When I looked into this many states requre a braking system on anything over 3000 lbs.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
MC7S50

73 MC7 with Series 50 and 10 speed

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 07:10:31 PM »

I agree that the bus braking system should be able to stop the whole rig with no problem.  I ran without a towed braking system for many years and never had a problem.  I finally went to a towed system because some of the places I go require it, and because of the breakaway system.  I would hate to hurt some one because my towed got away from me.  The breakaway reduces the likelihood of that happening.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 06:34:38 AM »

Ross, The question should be ... how fast can I stop if I add 5700lbs more to my vehicle?  Yes, you can be legally okay if the state laws don't require toad brakes.  However, I can tell the difference in how my bus responds when I add the weight of my Grand Cherokee without using the TOAD brakes.  Safety is the question here.  These things already take a LONG time to stop.  Imagine if you had to make an emergency stop coming down a grade?  I sure as heck want my TOAD stopping itself.  I built my own system that cost me less than $200 total and it works great.  Go put some brakes on that TOAD.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: