Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 11:57:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the most efficient rooftop A/C?  (Read 1328 times)
belfert

« on: April 28, 2006, 09:16:44 AM »

Which rooftop A/C unit is considered the most efficient on power?

I'm considering three 13,500 units instead of two 15,000 units, but I need to run all three on a 7,500 watt generator.  I probably would have gone a little bigger on the generator, but I got a good deal on this one.

Briqn Elfert
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 11:15:44 AM »

Hey Brian,

I don't know if my units are the most efficient model available, but I installed two Coleman Mach One, PS1, Power Savers rated at 12690 btu's each, that draw 9.6 amps of 120v each.
They make about as much noise as you'd figure they would, but really do an awesome job of cooling my coach in a hurry. The forward unit is far enough forward, that coupled with the drivers fan, works great as the drivers AC, in spite of the large greenhouse up front.
My genny is a 5.5kw propane Onan, but easily runs everything in my coach.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 11:35:09 AM »

Brian,

Last April or May's FMCA Mag. had a comparison chart on roof tops.[ I'm not quite sure exactly which month, don't hold me to it!]

Mabe you have a copy saved? But they list all mfg's .specs.

Your 7,500 watt gen is probably border line for 3 roof's, Just concider that when a compressor starts up, it may draw as much as 3 times

it's normal amp draw for a brief moment! Do The AMP math. You would have to watch when you first turn them on, to stage them.

Also concider, the hotter is out the more amps they draw over the rating plate. [they usually rate compressors at 85 deg, F]

Hope This Helps!
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 06:08:06 PM »

Brian,

Nick is correct on the 7500 being right at the edge for the three.

The Carriers I have(ducted) have a switch to set them up for a delayed start.

I think you can do three, but I would confirm that.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 06:49:59 PM by Floridacracker » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 06:57:28 PM »

Also remember that for every 1000 feet of elevation above 500, deduct 3.5% of your kw rating and for every 10deg. above 80 (I think) deduct 1% of your kw rating.

Of course going thru the mountains it is usually cooler so it might not be as bad as it sounds.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: