Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 09:37:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Series 50 or 60  (Read 1004 times)
rkillmon

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2007, 04:53:20 AM »

I see some motors that are 50 or 60 series, what does this mean?
Are they 8 cylinder?
busguy01

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 06:20:11 AM »

They are a computer controled 4 stroke diesel of 4 cylinder( 50) or 6 cylinder (60) made by Detrit Diesel. Very good engines with a long life and god power and fuel economy.
JimH

Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Port St Lucie, Florida
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 06:45:11 AM »

God power? Does that mean you have to service it every sunday?

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 07:33:43 AM »

God power? Does that mean you have to service it every sunday?

Jeremy

No, just put 10% of your income into the tank.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 07:35:46 AM »

Series 50 is a 4 cylinder of 8.5 liters with horsepower from 240 to 350 and 850 to 1100lb/ft torque.  Series 60 is a 6 cylinder made in 11.1 (shorter stroke version of the 12.7) 12.7 and 14 liter.  Horsepower from 330 to 575 (and higher with off market mods-marine version puts out 825hp!) and 1250 to 1850lb/ft torque (power output is also limited to the build-some horsepower uprating will require major component changes).  In my opinion the best engine made.  Million miles out of the Series 60 is not unheard of.  Effortless power and great fuel mileage-what more could you want from an engine?(It is big though)  Currently only made in 14 liter until year 2010 when Mercedes-Benz/Detroit Diesel will be bringing out a completely new line of engines.  Main reason for the new engines is the current engines are not strong enough to get the internal pressures they will be running at to increase efficiency.  In 2010, all smog devices will be removed from the engines and rely on the 3 stage catalyst/particulate trap/Urea reaction to clean the exhaust down to Nitrogen and water vapor.  I'm guessing that we will see trucks getting 8-10mpg then (at 55mph).

A little story on the longevity of Series 60- an owner/operator came in to discuss a new truck.  He wanted a Series 60 again.  He said he drove 150,000 miles a year.  I was curious how often he changed his oil.  He said each time he got his quarterly inspection he had the oil changed.(4 times a year and 35,000 miles)  I was about to scold him on the length of oil change, but first asked him how many miles he got on his first overhaul.  He said the engine was original at 1.3 million miles.  So I guess I couldn't scold him on lengthy oil changes.  Considering the low miles we put on our buses each year, getting an oil sample done when you think you should change the oil instead of just changing it might be eye opening.  On my 8V-71, my last oil change went 2 1/2 years, and even then didn't require the change.  A $25 oil analysis is much cheaper than a $200 oil change.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 08:47:07 AM »

Tom - You bring up a good point - Not to be political <<<<wink>>>> but if we could just eliminate useless early oil changes maybe it would help lessen our reliance on foreign oil - I know the oil is recycled, but for uses that there are other less expensive (in lives and $$$$) alternatives for such reuses - It is less humorous these days to see people who do highway commutes to work and change their oil (also at the insistance of Jiffy Lube Etal.) at 3000 miles when DaBook says 7500 - They could literally save lives and money (60%) by following the Mfg's instructions. FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: