Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 05:12:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is 40wt. selling for a gallon?  (Read 2244 times)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2007, 09:15:04 PM »

What is 40wt. selling for a gallon? I have located some Exxon XD3 40w for $8.69gal and have put 6 cases on reserve (3gal/case). If it is not a good deal I will only buy enough for one oil change. Otherwise I might stock up.

Thanks

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 09:19:55 PM »

Barn Owl, I've paid $9 to $11 the last couple of years for Delo 100.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 09:23:18 PM »

Barn Owl,
That's a very respectable price! By the way should be 4 gallons per case. I just bought 2 cases of the same oil for about the same price a few weeks ago while I was on the road! You can get 40W a little cheaper if you by in bulk (55g barrel or more), but by the time you pump it into smaller jugs and use them the amount of waste & time eats up the savings! I've paid from $6.50 a gallon (Bulk) to $14.00 (on the road at truckstop prices!) So your getting a fair deal!
BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 09:50:08 PM »

B.K., I forgot to mention that 3gal/case is in quart containers, the 4gal/case is in gallon containers. I save ~ 50 cents gal by buying it in quarts. The quarts were purchased by the distributor before a price increase (they have four a year). I prefer gal jugs but itís not that big of a deal for me to deal with the quarts. I asked how long have they had it (thinking it was old), and they said less than six months. That might be old for them but not for me.

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 10:48:51 PM »

Yeah I forget they still sell oil by the qt! LOL!
BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 05:36:38 AM »

They still sell diesel rated oil in quarts some place besides Walmart?  Walmart is the only place I have seen diesel oil in quarts with the exception of Mobil 1 turbo diesel 5W-40 synthetic diesel oil.  Every other time I have seen diesel oil is always in gallons.

Brian Elfert
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 05:38:00 AM »

Well, I had my oil changed in early January. They charged me 3.99 per quart, and that didn't include the labor to put it in. That's $16 a gallon!

I may have to start changing my own. I can buy it a lot cheaper by the case or barrel.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 08:41:20 AM »

Well, I had my oil changed in early January. They charged me 3.99 per quart, and that didn't include the labor to put it in. That's $16 a gallon!

I may have to start changing my own. I can buy it a lot cheaper by the case or barrel.

Craig,
I agree ! I can't believe that they charged you by he qt. (knowing where you had it done & that they always seem to treat people right and you're a loyal customer!) What really bites is they buy it in bulk (probably 250-1,000 gallons at a time) delivered by tanker and pumped into their bulk tank! Probably getting it for around $5.00 a gallon or less! I've got a buddy who buy's it the same way, and we were talking one day when they delivered 500 gallons and he was complaining that they were now charging him $5/g. I just started laffing at him especially when I found out the total bill was $2,500.00 for 500 gallons, tax, delivery and all!
BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 11:43:48 AM »

This is just a rough idea that I haven't thought through too much but what if a deal was negotiated with a shop near one of the major rallies for an event discount on basic services such as oil, filters, etc.?  Perhaps prebooking the services so that they could have enough of the right parts, materials and labor scheduled would help get a steeper discount.  The volume incentive for the shop could be pretty strong while providing convenience and assured quality of service to the bus nuts at the rally.

It may not be practical and it may have been tried before, but it is just an idea.
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 05:03:39 PM »

I recently paid $10.60/gallon for a case of gallon jugs of Rotella 40T.

Fred Thomson
akbusguy2000

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 05:14:27 PM »

September 2006
Inlet Petrolem, Anchorage AK distributor
Delo 100 40 wt
3 cases of 6 gal ea $167.65
$9.31 a gallon

tg
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 08:27:54 PM »

I paid $7.-- for Rotella-T at a Home Depot in MS and two days earlier I paid $9.+ in a marine supply distributor in LA.

In Seattle, WA I paid $8.+ for Delo 100 at a marine retail store two months before that.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 05:06:02 AM »

HighTechRedneck has a good idea. Maybe we could pre-register for oil change & lube so the shop would know how many of what to have on hand.

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 06:34:02 PM »

In BC Canada....$32.98 for 5 gal of 40W CF2 at Wal Mart

Cawston, British Columbia
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 10:13:52 PM »

Wow! TimkarÖÖthatís a deal! Wal-Mart does not carry CF2 here. I wonder how they decide what store carries what. Is there allot of farm machinery up there that would generate a demand for that oil?

gus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 05:33:23 PM »

Our local WM carries CF2 in 30W but not 40. I use 30 in winter.

I just returned from another trip to the Home Depot in MS that had Rotella T 40W last year for $7.00+, it is now $9.50 and they were out. Some logger probably cleaned them out.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 06:18:33 PM »

This is just a rough idea that I haven't thought through too much but what if a deal was negotiated with a shop near one of the major rallies for an event discount on basic services such as oil, filters, etc.?  Perhaps prebooking the services so that they could have enough of the right parts, materials and labor scheduled would help get a steeper discount.  The volume incentive for the shop could be pretty strong while providing convenience and assured quality of service to the bus nuts at the rally.

It may not be practical and it may have been tried before, but it is just an idea.

I know of a shop that tried to do that exact type of idea by sponsoring a bus ralley in October that flopped! The shop offered free bay time in the shop, and reasonable rates on services. But had almost no attendance! Just my opinion for what it ain't worth!
BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 07:09:41 PM »

Just got home last Friday night in the big snow storm. Stopped at WM in Illinois to pick up a gallon of Rotella T 30, which i have always found there. I found none, and thought maybe it was just that store. So yesterday i stopped at my local WM and at first i could not find any there either. As i was leaving, i spotted it in the stereo section on the top of a shelf,,, sort of looking like they might not keep carrying it. I bought the last 8 gallons at 8.76 a gallon. I sure hope they are planning on keeping it on the shelf.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 07:18:32 PM »

Not quite sure how WM decides where to stock the 40W CF2. When I was bringing an MCI back from Ontario a couple of years ago it was at every WM I stopped at ,all the way to the West Coast.

Cawston, British Columbia
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 03:32:43 AM »

I know of a shop that tried to do that exact type of idea by sponsoring a bus ralley in October that flopped! The shop offered free bay time in the shop, and reasonable rates on services. But had almost no attendance! Just my opinion for what it ain't worth!
BK  Grin

I hear you BK.  I wish I could have been to your rally but I had other commitments that couldn't be changed.  Being that I already am in Tennessee, it would have been a great opportunity.  I know you put a lot of work into putting on that rally and I wish it had been more successful.  It is very difficult to pull people into new rallies, trade shows or conventions.  Irregardless of whether it is business, hobby or religous interests, a lot of folks have to choose one or two a year to attend and they will often go with what they are familiar with.  I know it was disheartening and you may not want to, but if host one each year, it will likely grow.

Again, I don't know if my idea of working out a discount on basic services like oil/filter/lube with a shop near an existing large rally would work either.  Just food for thought.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 03:44:45 AM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
Dallas

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 03:38:17 AM »

BK  Grin

I here you BK.  I wish I could have been to your rally but I had other commitments that couldn't be changed.  Being that I already am in Tennessee, it would have been a great opportunity.  I know you put a lot of work into putting on that rally and I wish it had been more successful.  It is very difficult to pull people into new rallies, trade shows or conventions.  Irregardless of whether it is business, hobby or religous interests, a lot of folks have to choose one or two a year to attend and they will often go with what they are familiar with.  I know it was disheartening and you may not want to, but if host one each year, it will likely grow.

Again, I don't know if my idea of working out a discount on basic services like oil/filter/lube with a shop near an existing large rally would work either.  Just food for thought.

Hey Bryce!
How about setting up another rally for this late summer or fall?

It doesn't look like Cat and I will be able to have one here, so maybe we cancoerce people into heading west!  Grin

Dallas

(Oh, yeah, Rotella is selling at the little convenience store by me for $54 per 6 gallon case.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 03:40:22 AM by Dallas » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: