Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 18, 2014, 12:46:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT - Looking for New place to call home soon...  (Read 2780 times)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 04:00:12 AM »

Tennessee sales taxes are over 9% but property taxes are low in most counties, insurance is low and there isn't a state income tax.  The tax and spend pols keep wanting to institute a state income tax, but the people resoundingly shut it down.  A few years ago when the legislature was taking it up again and seriously considering it, a large group of people surrounded the building and threw rocks breaking the windows.  (I'm not condoning violence necessarily, but it is reminiscent of how our country was started, a tax revolt.)  Immediately the legislature dropped the idea.  The following year it was brought up again, but not nearly as seriously and if I recall correctly the governor shut it down.  The last couple years it hasn't even been attempted.  I'm sure it will arise again some time but the bottom line it is a low tax state.  Last time I noticed the report, there were only two states with lower over all taxes.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 06:47:18 AM »

Dave,

Before you pack it all up, take a look at North Florida.  Columbia county is still rural, reasonable property taxes, HO has gone up but not as crazy as other areas.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 06:53:13 AM »

Florida isn't so bad or as bad as some say it is! Sure there are problem areas and there are good areas. Yea there are storms but who doesn't have them? I remember when I lived up north, we had bad storms only then you didn't know they were on the way. At least now and here they tell you in advance when they are coming. You take cover or you head for drier/calmer land! It's a seasonal thing too. I ain't shoveling snow and I'm not pumping water. I know there are those that do have to do that each and every year! I have to cut grass and I have to spray for insects. Nothing different there! The heat? Yea it gets hot at times but not so hot you can't stand it! If that was the case every blue hair here wouldn't be here! Cold? Yea if you want to call it that! Low to mid 30's is cold for ones born here but most of the transplants can deal with those temps over low to mid teens elsewhere!
Taxes? I guess it depends on where your living as in like you say, every county is different! If you look at it this way, you came into this world with nothing and just how much do you think you will leave with? So what if it cost you a little more to live here in Florida, are you going to get rich living someplace else like in the mountains of Tn. and IF you do by chance become wealthy or even comfortably stable, then you unfortunately leave this world, what did you gain? Just how much are you planning on taking with you AND will that get you further thru the gates?
Bottom line is no matter where you live, there are pluses and minuses to each and every place you look, like lower taxes in Tn. but sub zero temps to deal with in winters or quakes in Ca. or floods in Ms.
I'm sitting here right now looking out my windows looking towards the rear of my property towards the east at a full sun with leaves falling gently to the ground and squirrels playing in the trees! The grass is green in most places and a slight, cool, not hot, breeze blowing at times! It's quiet and little to no traffic! If it wasn't affordable tax wise, insurance wise, or mortgage wise, we wouldn't have bought it just a month ago! Like I said, it all depends on where you choose to live but don't blame it all on Florida! Smiley

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 07:04:28 AM »

Talk to Dreamscape!!  LOLOL  Wink

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Dreamscape

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 07:55:56 AM »

Dr. Dave, Come on Down!

If you like West Texas that is. It's not bad really considering where we just moved from. A lot less traffic and people to deal with, and the cost of living is real affordable! Grin

Paul
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 08:03:53 AM »

I agree that most locales have their own set of natural disasters or hardships.  But in over 10 years in the Chattanooga area, I haven't seen one.

Winters are mild.  They had a blizzard here once in 1993.  Other than that, most winters here don't even see a dusting of snow.  2-3 days per year there is morning ice on overpasses but that is dealt with quickly in most areas and melts off quickly anyway.

Summers are warm with highs in the 80's to 90's.  Rarely (2-3 days per year) the temperature hits 100.

Spring and Fall are colorful and comfortable.

While tornadoes hit areas in North Georgia, Central Tennessee and up on the Cumberland Plateau, Chattanooga has only had one relatively minor tornado in 30 years.  Only the remnants of former hurricanes come here, nothing dangerous.  Certain low points experience low grade flooding occaisionally.  Most areas are well drained either naturally or with flood control.  Earthquakes are not a problem here either.

As I look out my window right now:
  • the sky is clear blue
  • the sun is shining bright
  • the temperature is 41, low was 38 and high yesterday was 69, 71 the day before
  • there is a gentle Northeast breeze blowing
  • lawns are green year round and I've never had to water my lawn to keep it green
  • valley meadows are green, high ground fields aren't but will be in about a month
  • birds (Robins in the yard right now), squrrels and rabbits are a common sight in the city while deer and wild turkey and water fowl are common in rural areas

And contrary to some myths, the song "Rocky Top" isn't blowing on the breeze although TN Vols football is nearly a religion here.  (you might want to remove any Gators bumber stickers or flags from your vehicles before coming here Grin )

Some interesting links for more info about the area:

I wan't born here and I'll probably always think of west Texas as hometown, but in my opinion the Chattanooga area is just about the most perfect overall place to live and so here I stay.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 11:34:45 AM »

I am a transplant here, My family moved here from Kentucky when I was 18 months old.
I grew up in the Ocala National Forest and spent most of my swim time in Lake Mack ( was wiped by tornado recently )
I stayed in West Virginia for 3 years during elementary school. I loved that place but soon had to come home.
I have been back to WVA and Kentucky and my only living relatives are in those areas.

I have lived in Columbus Ohio, Huntington WVa, Raliegh NC, Deland FL and Area for the most part.
Worked for Disney and Universal, Played their games.

My wife is a Native from Lakeland Florida and she doesn't want to be here anymore since most of
her family is gone or estranged. She want's to plant a garden that in not in plastic pots and grow food.
She can grow anything and I am sure that if she had some good river bottom soil to work with it would
be a blast.

We have travelled to many of the areas over the years and found that although Florida has been our home
we prefer the seasons and the nicer people that are not stressed out from tourists and "dual language" specific
intrusions into our once easy going areas.

I have no need to learn a new language and simply won't go there. English is enough and having to learn  spanish to function day to day is just not what I want to do. Not now not ever..

Nothing grows in sand but fire ants... ( and the occasional Bus...Smiley Whoops.... Shocked

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 12:07:25 PM »

Right on Dave!!!!!   Well said.

A bumper sticker I seen read: Will the last American out of Florida please bring the flag.

Plenty of truth there.
         Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
chargePlus

1951 GMC PD4103-125

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 06:38:05 PM »

I am looking for property 5 to 10 acres secluded/wooded and fairly flat with road and bus access around Tennesse or surrounding areas where the taxes are low and living is acceptably cheap. No lot or deed restrictions and low to no zoning problems. I want to put up a bus barn or workshop or find one already done.

Well, Living in the Research Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) of North Carolina isn't too bad. I moved here in late 2000 following my heart. Well that didn't work out, but I stayed here found the woman I am now married to and we have set up shop in Hillsborough, NC. Hillsborough is almost equidistant between Raleigh and Greensboro. There are several world-class hospitals near us, property of the size you seek  and with few restrictions is available if you are willing to live 35-40 minutes or so away from the center of the research triangle.

The work situation is pretty decent, and growing better. Companies are moving here or growing their footprints. There is an interesting mix of manufacturing (HondaJet is building a facility in Greensboro, BectonDickenson, etc.), High Tech (Cisco, Nortel, Network Appliance, IBM, etc.), Biotech/Pharma (Glaxo, Wyeth, Biogen, etc.), and college/university (Duke, NC State, UNC, NC A&T) environments.

Cheers,

- John

Sports Car Lover and Bus Nut
1951 GMC PD4103-125 http://www.euliss-uftring.org/DaBus
Sports Car Club of America http://www.ncrscca.com/
Mazda Sports Car Club of NC http://www.msccnc.org/
akbusguy2000

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2007, 07:10:04 PM »

This doesn't tell all, but may shed some llight on alternatives:

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/total_taxes/

tg
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 06:28:28 AM »

I ought to just rent a spot from Busted Knuckle for a while. I am sure I could make him miserable with my
technical skills and ingenuity. He might actually do a conversion just to shut me up... Grin Grin Grin

Need directions? We're right on the KY-TN Stateline 2.5 hrs from Memphis, 3hrs from Nashville and 1.5 hrs straight North of Jackson, TN, 1.25 hrs from Paducah, KY (If you drive like everyone else in FL subtract .75 to 1 hrs from the above figures! LOL!).

There's plenty of room here, and we need some part time bus drivers. Come on up! Our landlord might even set you up with a permenat spot until we all get run out by I-69 which the south bound lanes are gonna take out the house, and the North bound lanes are gonna take out the shop! It could start this yr, or it could take 20 yrs! (they ain't bought the property yet! )
BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: