Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 08:50:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: series 60 fault codes  (Read 4366 times)
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 11:04:21 AM »

Ron, you need a ProLink to "see" what DDEC "sees".
You will be able to watch oil pressure, coolant temp and tps "counts".
TPS "counts" is the resistance value that the DDEC  ECM "sees", then adjusts your engine rpm.
You will be able to watch them change as you step on the throttle pedal.
You can actually watch the coolant temp sensor reading change as the engine gets to operating temperature. You will be able to see if the reading fluctuates - if the sensor is defective.
I wouldn't change these components without putting a ProLink on it first.
At this stage of your troubleshooting it appears that the DDEC  ECM is quite possibly defective, especially with the change in ambient temperature effecting the ECM.
Going under the valve cover only gives access to the injectors and the injector harness.Preliminary tests can be made to the injector harness without removing the valve cover. Shake test , continuity test, injector response times, cylinder cutout test are just some things to be done before removing the valve cover. Best of luck with your coach.
Sammy  Cool
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 03:46:22 PM »

Ron, think you can unplug a problem sending unit and run without it. Try having DD turnoff the fault code shutdown side, and see if it runs ok all by itself. They usually don't charge me for using the Prolink to turn things on and off.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 06:33:28 PM »

Welcome to the board Ron!  and to all other members, Ron is a really great guy, very creative and is doing some cool things with his coach.  Just the kind of things that everyone else here can appreciate.

Best of luck in isolating your problem.  It does sound as if its gotten to the point where you need some professional help.  It might be cheaper than being on the side of the road at the wrong place...

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
ronwalker

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 09:46:16 PM »

Thanks for the flowers, H3Jim, but it's now the 11th hour and I failed to come up with a solution today. Had I bought that $1500 ProLink I saw on eBay, I might have been able to pay for it by avoiding this emergency DD visit, but it's too late now. The wiggle and tap tests were negative. The TPS is sealed, so I cleaned the plug pins and re-installed it. The coolant temperature sensor plug had a pin pushed partially out, but cleaning it and correcting the pin position did nothing to make the codes go away. I assume DD will use their ProLink to verify correct operation of the TPS and temp sensor before declaring the ECM the villain. I'll try to heat the ECM before tomorrow morning's start, but that's about it for me. The sad thing is that they'll probably insist I sit in the waiting room and watch soap operas instead of picking up some valuable troubleshooting info from the experts working on my coach.

I'm afraid the "recovered from a serious error" message I'm now getting on every boot-up indicates my computer's days are numbered. With luck, I'll be able to pass on to all who offered suggestions the answer to this mystery sometime tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help. This is a great board!  Ron
ronwalker

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 11:08:07 PM »

Final report: Yep, it was the ECM. My coach didn't even make it into the shop. The mechanic read the copies of the posts I made to this board and simply showed up with his shop ECM. In about five minutes, he slid under the coach, held his ECM against mine, transferred the plugs to his, then leaving it hanging by the cables, asked me to start her up. No codes before or after the start! He was impressed with the efforts (you and) I put into the troubleshooting, but felt the analog to digital conversion fault (code 52) had to be within the ECM. In this case, he told me a preliminary ProLink investigation would have been confused by the errors coming from the ECM itself.

In hindsight, I believe my more intensive hairdryer/heat gun test would have eventually shown the ECM to be the source of the problems and given me time to find the best price on a replacement had I not driven north into cold country. The mechanic would, of course, never consider buying a used unit with someone else's problems in it, but I might have gotten lucky. In all, the 1.7 hour labor charge of $161.50 wasn't outrageous given that most of it was the programming of the new ECM. That shiny new computer set me back $1,522.10, but it's pretty and has the latest software updates in it. The total bill including three gallons of anti-freeze for my stock came to $1,880.11. Since I'd prepared myself for well over two grand, I'm not devastated. I feel the info I got from you guys helped keep the labor charge to a minimum. Thanks again for your help.   Ron - on the Oregon border
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 07:00:12 AM »

Thanks for the update, glad you're on your way again.  FWIW, I had to replace my ECM several years ago as well with a similar price tag.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 02:46:57 PM »

Ron, glad to hear you're rollin' again. Seems like a great price for the ECM too.
Sammy  Cool
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: