Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 02:14:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Single wheel/tire  (Read 3295 times)
Rudy Frimbrez

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2007, 04:54:25 PM »

Anyone tried running 'Super Singles' instead of duals on a transit?
belfert

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 09:03:31 PM »

This subject has come up before and the answer was that they are only supposed to be used on the drive axles if both rear axles have duals.  Maybe tire manufacturers have changed recommendations recently, but that was the answer last time this came up.

Brian Elfert
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 10:29:44 PM »

While the Michelin 455/55R-22.5 (the tire equal to a 11R-22.5.  The 445/50R-22.5 is equal to the 295/75R-22.5) is being used on all axle positions of a concrete mixer, and on 2-axle tanker trailers, I would still not recommend them for use on a bus-with these exceptions-on a GMC 4501 Scenicruiser, Gillig or Crown with dual tandems, or any other bus that uses eight tires in the rear now.  On a transit, absolutely NOT!  Maybe on a tag axle bus.  These tires are aimed at trucks that are weight sensitive-like concrete mixers, fuel tankers- or with long haul truckers that need to maximize the fuel economy.  NOT for bus conversion people. Stick with the dual tires in the rear for safety.  If one of those big super singles blew on the rear, it would most likely cause loss of vehicle control-translated a wreck.  Sorry to blow your bubble, Rudy!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 06:01:56 PM »

Rudy, I think if you had a flat, It could be real hard to get a jack under a bus.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 06:17:18 PM »

Where're you going to keep your spare?  SS won't fit in the spare tire compartment.   This could be a problem on a 2 axle transit...I know, not everyone carries a spare.   Huh   I do...and could change a tire if I wanted to...
That said, don't some Prevost motorhome conversions run SS on steer axles?   Maybe due to weight issues?   I believe I saw this pictured on an ad layout for one of the major bus conversion companies. 
If memory serves correctly (always a challenge), the SS bus tipped the scales at over 50K lbs.
The only jacking problem with SS vs 13Rs would be with the drive axle.  The steering axle is going to be just inches of the ground with either tire.  Keeping the bus aired up would give a few extra inches. 
When I bought jacks to carry in the bus (little ones for the front and big ones for the DA) I measured the deflated height of the bus...very low when unaired and flat...essentially on the ground at the front.  Airing it up will allow a jack under the bus.
JR

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 06:20:59 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 10:07:51 AM »

FYI, the gvw on my H coach is 52,000 lbs, with standard tires.  No need to go to SS, and plenty of drawbacks.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: