Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 07:52:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on low priced bus please...  (Read 1300 times)
travelingfools

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2007, 11:55:39 PM »

In another thread, we talked about www.busforsale.com . On there, I found Old Faithful http://www.busforsale.com/old_faithful/index.htm . Here's my question..

As I see busses going for much, much more, I was wondering...would you guys ever invest in a bus like this. Im looking to move up out of my older class A motorhome into a bus and something like this would actually be affordable to me. Id want to make changes to the interior, but it looks like a good start. My other option would be to buy a seated bus spending about the same amount and begin my own conversion...Im not looking at that particular bus, but am asking more to try and learn before I spend. Tha last thing i want is to spend money on a vehicle that I cant afford to fix. Im aware that you get what you pay for, but looking to hopefully learn from others experience or mistakes...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 11:58:24 PM by travelingfools » Logged

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 04:24:38 AM »

I would encourage you to do a site visit. These guys are great at showing you several buses to make an informed decision. They will not sell you something without your knowing all the issues. You can also have the major mechanical checked prior to purchase. Remember that all buses have some rust issues and Eagles lead the pack. 

A 1981 will have issues! If the mechanicals check out o.k., you will not be able to get a bus to that level of "readiness" for that sale price.

My humble opinion.

Good luck!

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 07:09:58 AM »

Do NOT buy a bus without having it checked by a BUS mechanic!! Pay a bus mechanic (probobly about $200) to inspect bus, this can save you many thousands of dollars. The eagle suspension alone can be over $10,000 if it needs replacement!
 The tires show % of life left, but are the sidewalls heavily weather checked? Then they need to be replaced.
 Looks like a nice bus, the one thing I noticed was it has the original bus bathroom, How big a holding tank does it have? Is holding tank size an issue for you? Is it compatable with RV dump stations? The bus has no shower and very little heat, would that be a problem?
 Bus does not appear to have a tow hitch, I could be wrong. Do you need to tow something? If not no problem, but if you do you cannot go  to the local UHaul and get a hitch, you have to have one fabricated.
 I also do not like the 15K generator, way too big! Most here recommend a 10K even for an all electric coach. Underloading a generator can cause issues with it.
 Not knowing your skill levels, what you want to do with bus, how much you have to spend or how much time you have it is hard to say one way or the other.
 It would be hard to buy a seated coach and bring it to this level for the same amount of $$$ Plus a couple thousand hours of labor.
  The above is only my opinion, I am not a professional, just trying to help like so many others have helped me.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 07:44:48 AM »

Aa few thoughts.

If you can get a good bus to convert from Mike at this board for say around $12k, then what does this bus have that Mikes won't.  It depends on what you want to leave the same on the Eagle and what you want to take out and redo. I think about the only thing I'd want is the air conditioners, and the generator.  Everything else would have to go, and I'm not even sure about the geneator as it's gas, not diesel.  nice couches too.

The original bus toilet is not good for RV use.  They have small tanks and recycle the water but with a chunk filter.

Maybe if it was mechanically sound and you could get it for $15k, that would start to be a lot more attractive.  good advice to go look and have a mechanic check it out.  Even if it costs hundreds of $ to check out, its way cheaper to look and pass than to buy something you can easily sink $10,000 into for just repairs.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 07:58:53 AM »

While Eagles are great riding buses, look great, etc, be very cautious on the older ones since they are made from steel square tubing that rusts out.  There have been more than one converter that has gotton a beautiful conversion home, like this one, and discovered it to be very rusted out underneath-causing them to more or less completely rebuild the bus. 
If you want an inexpensive conversion that will be guaranteed to be rust free since it is made of stainless steel, then use a GMC RTS transit bus.  There are made (still being made-I believe) in 30,35,40ft lengths since they are made in 5ft modules.  I've even seen one stretched to 45ft, but makes for a long wheelbase since the RTS has short overhangs.  Most are 102 wide with 82" headroom, have space underneath for tanks, gen (some put the gen up in back where the A/C was), batteries, and extra storage.  About the only disadvantage I see is that the walls curve in rather steeply-eating up interior space.  But they are a great looking bus when done.  I've seen some with slide outs, raised roof and floors, etc.  Some even had the Detroit Series 50 retrofitted-which would be the perfect engine-even with the bit of vibrating it does at idle. You should be able to find a RTS for less than $10,000 in great shape. 
I have an AMGeneral 10240B transit that I bought in '93 for $4,000.  I now have $90,000 into it, but spread over time, is relatively cheap.  I now have a bus with new tires and air bags, engine rebuild with 13,000 miles on it, new turbo and intercooler set up, rebuilt radiator, new air cleaner, will have new muffler soon, rebuilt transmission, rebuilt power steering with new pump, etc.  Everything I bought has been new (can save money by buying used stuff).  My point-it is easy to spend alot of money on the conversion-and my conversion is relatively simple with simple interiors.  Add in a AquaHot, leather furniture, slate, marble, gold leaf, custom carpeting, endless choices for computerization and electronics and the price heads skyward.  Now, $90,000 would buy a very basic front engine Diesel motorhome that will fall apart in 5 years (I've already been using mine for 6 years-with no end in site).  Now I'm waiting on my King cruise control (there were others cheaper, but wanted one designed for heavy duty use with fast idle possibility).
Newer MCI's and Prevost also are made with stainless below the window line-but are very pricey.  No right or wrong way of doing a conversion as long as the furniture and cabinets stay put on the walls and everything works without hurting anyone or the bus burning down.  Good Luck, TomC 

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 08:25:16 AM »

Thanks for the replys so far...To answer a few questions, I plan on doing any and all work on any bus I get myself. I have a friend that is a diesel mechanic that could guide me through repairs, however money for parts could leave a bus sitting in my driveway. My ultimite plan is to replace my class a mh with a bus by the end of the summer. Ive been a lurker here for some time and as I read of how many have used their bus during the many phases of construction, Im sure that will be the case here. My biggest concern is a bus that is mechanicly sound. The interior conversion will be a work in progress for some time Im sure !

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 01:52:42 PM »

Ah Camping on a bus!!!
                                Air mattress    $100
                                Cooler             $20
                                Port a pot        $69
                                Microwave        $59
                                Oil lamp           $12

The look of admiration from the other inmates at the asylum, Priceless!!!!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: