Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:22:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help removing 6V92 blower  (Read 1647 times)
tomhamrick

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2007, 04:57:45 AM »

I need to remove the blower from my 6V92TA and the issue is the removal of the blower drive shaft. I can get it to move out about 1/2 inch and it stops. Is this far enough or should it pull out completely. I do have the service manual but it is not clear on this step it just says withdraw from the blower. The steps to install shows a alignment tool, part# J 33001 to install the drive shaft any one have one of these and can tell me what the end that inserts into the drive shaft looks like??  Thanks for any information you can provide.
Tom Hamrick
1984 Eagle 10S

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
Happycampersrus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 10:30:02 AM »

After you remove the spring clip, On the stubborn shafts I have taken a piece of all thread or long bolt (10-32 I think) and piece of flat stock about 6" long with a hole in the center to make a puller out it.

The shaft should have a threaded hole in the center, place the all thread in it, then the flat stock across the large hole, put on a nut and carefully tighten it and the shaft should pull out with ease.

Also I have seen my buddy use a slide hammer and a couple of light pecks to pull them out.

Either way it shouldn't be to stubborn to pull out.

HTH,
Dale
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 10:31:37 AM by Happycampersrus » Logged
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 01:02:40 PM »

Thanks Dale. I will give that a try.
Tom Hamrick

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 02:40:57 PM »

Tom, I use a small slide hammer too. Might have to rotate shaft as you remove it (or bar engine over -carefully) to get splines on blower shaft to line up with blower drive, as you remove it. Keep your fingers away from the blower rotors as you remove the blower,or as you bar it over - if needed. Good luck with your repair.
Sammy  Cool
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 02:57:45 PM by Sammy » Logged
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 08:21:31 AM »

Got it out! When I first took the cover off and looked at the drive shaft, there was a spring sticking out of it and I had to pull on spring to get the shaft to move. The spring eventually turned loose and I could look at the hole in the shaft but could not see any threads. The more I read the book the more I was convinced the shaft was in backwards. The only way I had to try to get the shaft out was to place a punch in the hole and hold it sideways with pressure on the side of the hole and try to pull out. I could get it to move 9/16 of an inch and it would stop sounding like it hit metal. Finally took out the blower bolts and used a bar to push it forward enough to get the shaft loose. No to my surprise the other end of the shaft has these nice threads to pull the shaft out with! It will be installed the right way this time!!

Thanks for all the help!!
Tom Hamrick
1984 Eagle 10S

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
Happycampersrus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 11:41:32 AM »

I hate it when that happens. Grin

Glad you got it out!