Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 07:10:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT Question for the Electrically Enlightened.  (Read 2656 times)
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 07:33:20 AM »

I forgot to mention that it is common to use transformers to get 120 volts out of three phase systems so check with local electricians that do industrial work and you might find a used transformer at salvage price.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 12:05:37 PM »

JR,

FYI, the code (Art. 300-5) calls for direct buried cable to be 24" deep. Non-metalic conduit is 18". Those depths can be reduced by covering with concrete.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 06:34:33 AM »

If you do wind up digging, consider putting an extra conduit in the trench. Then you can easily add telephone, intercom, cable tv, security camera, or whatever to your outbuilding just by pulling the appropriate wire.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 05:32:32 PM »

Another "while you're at it"...You might want to keep in mind, that you shouldn't run high voltage and low voltage wiring in the same conduit.  i.e. 110 or 220 volt shouldn't be in the same conduit as phone lines or other low voltage wiring.  The concern is that should there be a problem with damaged insulation, you could introduce higher than normal voltages into low voltage circuits.  FWIW

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 07:21:07 PM »

Great information!  Still, what we got here is that between the out-building and the home (entrance) is a water line, home entrance power lines, cable TV, phone cables, and the much discussed power cables to the out-building.
Cannot power dig over all that buried electrical crap.   Definitely cannot dig 24" down.  All except the power is way above the 24" level. 
There's no other low voltage wiring to the building...no one's in there except my young'un.  Cell phone service about cancels out the other needs. 
Regarding the 3 phase, it isn't.  Single phase. 
When we built our present abode (not the home with the out-building), the power company buried their lines first.  No problem.  Then the phone company buried theirs.   Then the cable vision folk cut up the phone guy's work.  Fixed all that and the gas guy cut both the cablevision and phone company's wiring.  Friggin fiasco.   Thanks God for cell phones. 
Have not dinked with the wiring problem this week.  Been doing music all week.  Down in Gary Labombardo's neighborhood last night....Piedmont, SC?   All tarded out now. 
Got another well to finish up tomorrow at a home that I rent.  Get back to the "out-building" issue tomorrow if electrical guy shows.  Really don't look forward to what he's gonna have to offer.  I can feel $$$$ (*).
Cheers, JR 

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 07:29:36 PM »

Probably doesn't apply in your case but when I built my shop about 300 feet from the house, I found it was much cheaper to put in a new service and let the power company pay for all that heavy wire.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

belfert

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 04:34:23 PM »

Probably doesn't apply in your case but when I built my shop about 300 feet from the house, I found it was much cheaper to put in a new service and let the power company pay for all that heavy wire.
All of the electric cooperatives around here charge a fixed fee plus per foot for the first or second electrical service on a property.  Xcel Energy will do 100 feet free for the first service, but they charge full price for the second service.

I'm moving and have done some research on how much electric service will cost. 

Brian
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 08:16:24 PM »

Probably doesn't apply in your case but when I built my shop about 300 feet from the house, I found it was much cheaper to put in a new service and let the power company pay for all that heavy wire.Len

Len's got it!  Add a meter and service to the building.  That's the recommendation from my electrician friend. 
As Brian describes, cost will be a flat $12 bucks a month plus power useage. 
I've got to install a meter base and entrance wiring.  Panel inside is OK.  So expense won't be great.  Some sort of farm building/pump service.   
There won't be any charge for hooking up the power...other than the meter base and wiring.   I install, he inspects. 
The power pole is just a few feet behind the building.   
I've got another similar setup on a horsebarn...runs a fan, a few lights and well.  That meter costs about $16 bucks a month to operate.  About double that in really hot weather when the exhaust fan runs during the day.
Problem solved. 
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
belfert

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 08:53:15 PM »

Probably doesn't apply in your case but when I built my shop about 300 feet from the house, I found it was much cheaper to put in a new service and let the power company pay for all that heavy wire.Len

Len's got it!  Add a meter and service to the building.  That's the recommendation from my electrician friend. 
As Brian describes, cost will be a flat $12 bucks a month plus power useage. 
I've got to install a meter base and entrance wiring.  Panel inside is OK.  So expense won't be great.  Some sort of farm building/pump service.   
There won't be any charge for hooking up the power...other than the meter base and wiring.   I install, he inspects. 
The power pole is just a few feet behind the building.   
I've got another similar setup on a horsebarn...runs a fan, a few lights and well.  That meter costs about $16 bucks a month to operate.  About double that in really hot weather when the exhaust fan runs during the day.
Problem solved. 
Cheers, JR

I was talking about installation costs, not monthly costs though there is that too.  Most of the electrical co-ops charge about $400 or $500 to hook up service plus $5 to $6 a foot for the cable from the property line to the meter.  It could easily cost $1000 to have a second electrical service installed.  The larger companies charge less, but they still usually charge a lot more for the second meter than for the first.

Brian
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 05:59:00 AM »

Mine was a flat $100.00 and they set two poles and a transformer. My monthly minimum (no power use) is $9.35.  Guess it depends a lot on the company.  I'm with Clay Electric Coop in north Florida.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

belfert

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2007, 09:56:26 AM »

Mine was a flat $100.00 and they set two poles and a transformer. My monthly minimum (no power use) is $9.35.  Guess it depends a lot on the company.  I'm with Clay Electric Coop in north Florida.

I should have clarified.  All of the electric co-ops in my area that I have talked to charge the high fees for hookup.

A second meter for an outbuilding is best if you don't want the cost and hassle of running electric from the main power feed.

Brian Elfert
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: