Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 12:13:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Shades or Blinds for Front Windshield  (Read 5014 times)
D+C4106

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2006, 05:59:54 PM »

We have curtains that we are not happy with in our 4106.  We would like to put vertical blinds or shades of somesort that wrap around the front windshield and come back to cover both" D" windows on the sides.  Anyone have any suggestions as to a good place to start shopping?  Any input would be appreciated!  Thanks! Cindy
Ace

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 07:00:06 PM »

Cindy why not have a bus nut mfgr you some shades that fit right and work and look real good? He comes on here sometimes but if you want to look him up and contact him off the board, he goes by bill340. He owns Florida Sunscreen and attends a lot of rv and bus rallies thru-out the east coast. He and his wife Brenda do a professional job as they have been at it for about 12 or so years, I think! I know they do them on site (where your coach is) but I think too that they might be able to send them to you wherever you are!

Hope this helps!

Ace
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 05:00:26 AM »

Cindy, I looked at a lot of different possibilities and finally settled on the following. I used them for many years and was extremely pleased with the.

They are called Day-Night shades and drop straight down like Venetian shades. They occupy about two inches of space at the top when fully retracted.

The first (bottom) half drops down with an accordion type draw string so that you can decide how much of the window you want to block. The bottom (day) half is silver on the outside and black on the inside. It is punched full of little holes that block direct sunlight but also let you see out. However, nobody can see in so they provide privacy in the daytime. I used them every day while driving as dropped down about 8-12 inched they provide an excellent sun screen.

The top half does not have the little holes so they provide complete privacy at night.  They drop down with the same draw string as the day section.

I had a total of four. Two for the windshield and one for the driver side window and one for the door. The one for the door was mounted above the door to prevent it swinging and banging each time the door was opened.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 08:44:15 AM »

Cindy,

I second what Ace said.

I saw Bills & Brendas product at Bussin 2006 and they were awesome.

The ones I saw you could see out but no one could see in.

Very professional work.

I am getting some this year.

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
D+C4106

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 09:53:45 AM »

Ace, were you talking about the outside or inside?  We do want outside, but, currently are looking for inside.  Thanks Cindy
D+C4106

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 10:25:51 AM »

Richard, yours sounds kind of like what I am looking for, but, I don't want an open space between two shades up front.  Do you think I can get one piece that would cover all of the front windshield and what about the corners of the front windshield?  Would there be any gaps?  I would want complete privacy. No peep wholes.  I like the idea that you can pull them down while driving tho!  Also, like the idea of mounting above the door.  We have day/night shades on the rest of the coach, but, not up front.  Are these pretty much the same thing you think?  We also have a custom dash board that sets up higher in front of the driver than the rest of the dash.  Do you think that would interfere with this type of blind?  Our day night shades on other windows operate with a bar when closed this bar drops down as low as you want.  But, if these were installed up front, because of the dash, there would be an open gap at the bottom of the window. Does yours have this same bar?  I appreciate your help!  Take care!

Cindy
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 01:53:57 PM »

regular old fashioned window shades, and they make great sunvisors when you are driving.
                                                                                             Work?/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Ace

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 02:20:28 PM »

Cindy, do yourself a favor and you'll save money in the long run by just contacting Bill & Brenda Phelan who mfgr the ones you NEED! They frequent the boards on both ends and they do inside AND outside from what I remember. You won't go wrong with them but you will spend more time shopping at the locals and not ending up happy with whatever you get, unless you get it from them!

Ace
BJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 08:44:21 PM »

ACE: Do you have an email for these folks? I too need inside shades.
D+C4106

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 06:17:40 AM »

Ace, I would like their email address too! 
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 07:23:44 AM »

Look under members list for bill 340 for email. He also has a web site listed.
Richard

OK, here are the links:

sunscreenbus@softhome.net

http://www.rvwindshieldcovers.com/

Richard
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 07:27:05 AM by Driving MissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Ace

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 06:53:44 PM »

Dang it Richard.... you stole my commission! Smiley

Ace
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 06:54:07 AM »

Dang it Richard.... you stole my commission! Smiley

Ace
Sorry about lthat. I figgured you did not know how to contact them. LOL
Richard

BJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 06:17:05 AM »

I contacted Bill & Brenda and there answer was as follows. 1. We do not do interior shades. 2. we do windshield covers only and we must have the bus.  I asked about the ad on sun shades and cannot they do a MC8 since they must have done others. 1 week later still no answer so I am still looking. maybe I'll learn to sew..
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 07:47:05 AM »

I contacted Bill & Brenda and there answer was as follows. 1. We do not do interior shades. 2. we do windshield covers only and we must have the bus.  I asked about the ad on sun shades and cannot they do a MC8 since they must have done others. 1 week later still no answer so I am still looking. maybe I'll learn to sew..

This was kinda what I recalled from meeting them several years ago at an early Arcadia roundup.
I had a set of outside shaded already and never used them. They were just too much a pain in the a$$ as far as I was concerned. They remained in a lower compartment the whole time I had the coach.

I ended up getting the two part shades that you drop down half way and that lets you see out the very tiny holes in the material, but keeps the sun out.

Lowered all the way, they provide complete privacy. Complete as far as I was concerned anyhow. I am not in the habit of running around nude and it would really have been hard for an outsider to get into a position where they could have looked in thru the split between the two windshield shades. Definitely not a concern for the prudish DML or myself. LOL
Richard

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: